Quantcast

Quite Annoyed with CoStar!

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by Maverich40, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Maverich40

Maverich40 New Member

I already owned a CoStar from earlier this year, Bestbuy had them for $80, so bought a 2nd unit for the living room.

I was disappointed to find that for some unexplained reasons BOTH units stopped displaying youtube videos.

It took a HARDWARE reset to apparently restore things.

What I am still quite upset (not really just annoyed) at is that so many websites you go to with Chrome say that
    Vizio CoStar (ISG-B03) GoogleTV's Chrome is OUT OF DATE, and it's flash IS OUT OF DATE!

I actually have an ancient Windows 2000 system here, with ancient Firefox what can actually go to more websites,
    add to that an old Linux box running Firefox 18.x can handle MORE WEBSITES than what these CoStar's ISG-B03's can!

This is upsetting seeing how I now have TWO UNITS bought in 2013 !! Maybe we should expect it to do "everything"
    (like support video/codec plugins, etc) BUT I would think its FLASH would be MORE up to date than what so many sites
    tell us! So what gives?

So what gives? Is there a particular reason why these units are made to be "crippled" in this way?
    Are there plans to fully upgrade these units to handle FLASH issues? (Like crashing watch Google+ Hangouts every
    10 to 20 minutes). I was actually expecting better performance than to have to re-join (refresh/reload) every 10-20 minutes
    just to watch a couple live lectures on google+hangouts! Sheesh!

I prefer Chrome over that dedicated youtube application, because you may want to read, and participate in the chat that
    goes along with google+hangouts! So many times, however, Chrome just directly crashes going to many youtube pages.
    (Chrome and/or FLASH.)

Because of these very real issues: I would _NOT_ recommend CoStar to anyone ... if they expected to use Chrome for
    websurfing at least. I've also had my CoStar REBOOT in the middle of watching a movie; I can't remember now if it was
    Netflix or Amazon Instant, but it actually went blank and REBOOTED on us!

Thanks for reading my first post.
    --Mav40--

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the Forum. Unfortunately YouTube with the GTV Chrome browser has been broke for about four months now. There is a long thread about it on this Forum here:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...access-youtube-via-google-chrome-anymore.html

The other day I made a post about this issue in the Google TV Community on Google+ (see link below). Frankly it looks rather hopeless to me.

https://plus.google.com/105279391930962034209/posts/FTfuKv1Gc3s

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adobe has pulled the plug on Flash updates for GTV:

Adobe delivers a blow to Google TV by pulling Flash [UPDATE: Adobe responds] | Digital Trends

The GTV Jellybean update is supposed to remove Flash altogether from the GTV Chrome browser.

3. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

If the JB update actually comes to Co-Star (and that's not looking good at the moment) then there may be some hope. Web sites that support Android phones and tablets should detect Chrome and adapt, and for those that don't it may be possible to sideload the ICS version of Flash and access the site using a browser that will still support it such as FireFox/Dolphin/etc. That's not perfect, because ICS is still old, but there are also browsers that can play Flash sites through a proxy.

4. deadringer28

deadringer28 Active Member

jonw...why do you say that it isn't looking good for the Co-Star to receive the update? The revue was not supposed to get the last update after Logitech stopped supporting it and Google came through and updated it. What makes you think that wouldn't happen here?

5. jonw747

Because Vizio seems to be moving on, and I wouldn't assume that Google can or would try to pick-up the pieces.

I imagine the original Revue was about as close as we've seen to a "Nexus" Google Tv. It was first, and Google and Logitech likely worked very closely together defining the H/W and getting it to work.

Not to mention, but Google still had plans for a second gen at the point Logitech was divorcing itself from the product. The fire sale of Revue H/W was a short-term boon to the product.

6. deadringer28

Fair enough but just because they are putting out a box that does not have GTV does not mean they are moving away from it. Without an official word it's hard to tell. Although I would have preferred to see an updated box WITH GoogleTV as well.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  7. jonw747

https://www.vizio.com/costar.html
    This product is no longer available on VIZIO.com

---

Amazon.com: VIZIO Co-Star Stream Player With Google TV - VAP430: Electronics
    Sold by Fun Stuff For Sale

"Remote control and keyboard were cumbersum to use also the mouse pad had very slow response"
    "I've had my Co-Star for over a year and it's been a disappointment. It overheats a lot. It's very slow with my wifi and it is not very stable. "
    " It freezes every day, have to unplug it, wait 60 seconds, plug back in and wait for it to boot. Boot time is longer than my laptop as we wait for the home page to pull up. Then there is no guarantee it will work - it will sit with a big "V" in the center of a blue screen. Rather pretty, but not what I purchased this for."

---

I'm just reading the tea leaves. It's very hard to reverse that sort of negative momentum - without new H/W and a new design.

8. CatfishRivers

Hmmm that is an interesting development for sure. Previously I had posted about Amazon no longer stocking the Co-Star (they only sell it through third parties now) - and I speculated that Amazon dropping out of the Co-Star game could be a hint that the device was on a path to being discontinued:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...rt-currently-offering-vizio-co-star-78-a.html

Now that Vizio no longer offers the original Co-Star on their web site - it appears all the more likely to be discontinued now. The only hope is that Walmart is still offering the Co-Star.

IMO Walmart is just unloading their inventory of the Co-Star. And when it's done that's it. But I suppose there's a saying that "It's not over until the fat lady sings". Walmart is a huge outlet for Vizio - but I can't really imagine the original Co-Star continuing on if its been axed from Amazon and Vizio's own web site.

By the Way - apparently the Hisense Pulse is dead also. Although nothing has been officially announced. Amazon hasn't stocked the Pulse in quite a while.

9. guest

guest Active Member

Google had the opportunity to "de-fragmentize" the set-top box space with their purchase of Motorola, by becoming the sole, in-house manufacturer of AndroidTV (formerly GoogleTV). How long will Google keep burning money on Motorola? | The Verge Maybe it'll happen....

You couldn't think of a better way to kill a brand than having multiple manufacturers for your product, AND not having complete control of the final product! I'm referring to needing Logitech to update the Revue. The other manufacturers, as well, are, seemingly, free agents!

Edit: You'll notice that Apple's made-in-China products don't have stamped on them: Logitech iPhone and Sony Mac.

10. CatfishRivers

UPDATE: Thanks to ChrisG8 for pointing out that Vizio still stocks the GTV Co-Star model# ISG-B03:

VIZIO Co-Star? Streaming Player | VAP430 | VIZIO
    <---(this is the link for the ISG-B03 model Co-Star)

The ISG-B03 and the VAP430 models are the same hardware - as far as I know the only difference is that the ISG-B03 comes in the colorful box.

The ISG-B03 is kind of buried on the Vizio web site. If I go to Vizio.com and then -----> "products" ---------> and then "stream players" -- I'm directed to the following Vizio web page (see link below) that compares the new Co-Star LT to the original (GTV) Co-Star:

VIZIO Co-Star Stream Players | Upgrade any HDTV to be a Smart TV | VIZIO

From that page if I click to buy the GTV Co-Star - I'm directed to the Co-Star VAP430 web page saying that it's no longer available on the Vizio web site.

If Vizio plans on continuing to offer the GTV Co-Star (model #ISG-B03) they really need to fix their web site.

11. jonw747

My impression were that the Pulse and the ASUS Cube were all but stillborn. Those two apparently make the Co-Star look like a solid device... I guess I'm just applying the 10 strikes and you're out policy here. There have been way too many failed chances for GTV to make a good impression.

I'm afraid the platform is going to need more than just a JB and Chrome update and I can't even imagine what it would be at this point because even when the hardware isn't crap (ie Sony) most people still consider it too complicated and the remote control too busy or even undesirable.

12. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

with apologies to the very very dead horse :) what this product line needs is a NexusTV. (I haven't seen a Sony, so I may be wrong) Nothing made yet has even come close to a Nexus level product. I would imaging there are few/no OEMs who could be offended (by Google tossing their hat in the ring) at this point since the product has failed to take off.

Give it mainline Android, a top-tier tablet-level CPU, 2G of memory, a remote with microphone, and work on a speech interface which makes sense for the purpose. And have it serve as a smart/universal remote, sending HMDI control info and/or IR repeaters to the equipment without HDMI controls. Heck, the upper-mid tier remotes cost as much as this whole box would.

They don't have to break major new ground.. it just needs to be good enough to establish/maintain a foothold in the living room, else they will lose that spot to someone else (AppleTV, Xbox, etc) and never get it back. Any of these companies who are smart will play the long game and try to win customers now, even tho the market may not take off for 1,2,3 years.

13. jonw747

I think you're preaching to the choir, but perhaps not to the mass market. Google TV has always been capable of so much more than Apple Tv or Roku, but it's made little impact on the streaming market. So, it's not like they need to catch up in technology, but in things like media contracts, compatibility with devices (AirPlay, Miracast), and ease of use and reliability.

14. deadringer28

Must be fixed I was able to add one with two year protection to my cart.

15. amartin

amartin New Member

I've finally given up on the costar as well. It's been a bust since I bought it. Almost every time I turn on my TV, I have to reboot it, or press the power button a few times. Netflix freezes a couple times a week(pretty much the only thing I use it for).

I've never been able to get my remote to work with my receiver(which is bizarre, since my Vizio tv remote worked first try, and it's a year older). It's never been able to work with my over-the-air listings(always asks for cable provider).

Last night I tried to go to pbs.org and play a program. The browser is pathetically slow. And then after navigating for 5 minutes, it crashed playing the video. I went to the same site on a new Shield browser, and everything loaded with ease, and the video was smooth. I just had to connect with an hdmi cable.

I've got a couple of devices that work with Miracast, and I'm just going to use a dongle to use on my TV's. I guess a new phone or tablet with a much more powerful processor is needed for Chrome, etc, to be smooth.

16. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Apple's products are assembled in China but designed in the US. The same goes for Microsoft's Surface and many other products. Software and hardware design are the things that make up a product. Assembling is hardly grounds for calling anything made in wherever.

Philip