Quantcast

Quick spec question

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by koftheworld, Sep 8, 2012.

1. koftheworld

koftheworld New Member

I can't seem to find the answer anywhere...does the costar have dual band n?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that the Co-Star doesn't have dual band n wi-fi. For starters it's not mentioned in the official Vizio Co-Star specs page.

Next if you scroll down to the comments section after the following article (see link below) - someone mentioned that they called Vizio support and was told the Co-Star doesn't support dual band:

Vizio Costar: A Better, But Not Good, Google TV - Zatz Not Funny!

From the comments section in the article:

"I do have a question on the wifi access. I have a 42" 1½ year old Vizio SV422XVT Smart TV that has the Yahoo Connected TV. I also have a Vizio XWR Dual Band Router. I can connect my VizioYahoo Connected TV to the "Vizio HD" Dual Band wifi, which is optimized for HD Video streaming and operates at about (5 GHz).

My Vizio CoStar cannot get or access the the "Vizio HD" wifi. "Vizio HD" does not show up as a open network on the CoStar . The CoStar only receives the "Vizio" (At 2.4 GHz) and "Classic" (Lower than 2.4GHz) single band network. I called Vizio support and was told the Vizio CoStar is only single band, it can't access dual band.

I was just wondering if that information is correct, since I use a Vizio dual band router. I have not had any buffering problems and get Netflix good with the CoStar. Also wondering if my Vizio SV422XVT TV will be eventually switched to a full or partial Google TV or will it keep the Yahoo Connected TV."

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  3. ariel12g

ariel12g New Member

It supports the N-Band, but I don't think it's dual band.
    Vizio Co-Star Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit

4. perfectstranger

perfectstranger New Member

My router is dual band N. The co-star only sees the 2.4 GHz AP. Does not see the 5.0 GHz AP.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am not aware of any inexpensive media players of this type with dual band Wi-Fi, I must have a dozen and none have it. A dual band ethernet to Wi-Fi adapter is a solution if somebody must have dual band.

6. chopper

chopper Active Member

What would be the advantage of having it on a STB?

7. koftheworld

koftheworld New Member

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll look into that solution.

I have a very specific need. The monitors we use for my kids rooms interfere with 2ghz band, so it's tough using single band n at night. My revue is basically unusable after 9pm lol.I'm going to see how my co-star works out, but I suspect I'll be buying an adapter.

8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have used the Linksys WGA600N for years, have several in the house and can recommend it and I assume the replacement, WET610N, is good as well. Both of these are powered by AC outlet. I think there may be some dual band ethernet to Wi-Fi adapters powered by USB port but with only one USB port, I am not sure if that is a good option.

9. koftheworld

koftheworld New Member

just as a follow-up,I ended up getting the new airport express and its working great on 5ghz band. Now I can use my co-star without interference at night.

10. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input. Are you using it with a dual band ethernet to Wi-Fi adapter - or will it work without the adapter?

11. koftheworld

koftheworld New Member

No adapter necessary.I set up the unit in the airport utility app to connect to my 5ghz network in non client mode and allow Ethernet connections.then I unplugged it from my computer and plugged it into my co-star.connection works without configuration.it even automatically turned off my Wi-Fi connection on the co-star. Connection is fast and onlive is functioning great as well.

12. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

So, do you now have the Co-star connected to Airport express via:

1. Wired Ethernet?
    2. Wireless (WiFi) @ 2.4ghz band?
    3. Wireless (WiFi) @ 5ghz band?

thnx :)

13. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

I'm 99.9% certain from his description that he's using the Airport to supply 5ghz wifi for the costar via wired-ethernet.

14. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

I was hoping he’ll mention more, since Co-Star doesn’t support WiFi @ 5ghz band (& supports only WiFi @ 2.4ghz band).

15. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

In that case, the Apple AirPort Express is the dual band ethernet to Wi-Fi adapter. (that connects between Co-Star and his Router).

For him to connect the Co-Star on his network via wireless (WiFi) @ 5ghz band (instead of @ 2.4ghz band to avoid interference), He added an Apple AirPort Express (to his current network) to act as a single WiFi interface.

So what he did is,

- Connected the Co-Star to AirPort Express via Ethernet cable.
    - Then setup a wireless (WiFi) @ 5ghz band between AirPort Express and his current Router.
    - Changed AirPort Express configuration settings to non- client mode (Client Bridge Mode) to act as a single WiFi interface.

FYI, (the new) AirPort Express can be used as a (wireless/wired) Router, a WiFi Extender or a single WiFi interface.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  16. koftheworld

koftheworld New Member

This is exactly what I did. The Airport Express is being used via ethernet with the co-star to provide access to the 5ghz. band of my network. You can do this with many different routers, but I needed something powerful enough to pick up signal through the walls of my older home (built late 1950's). In fact this setup is working so well for me that I might buy a 2nd airport express to use with my revue. I actually would have purchased the new sony gtv device instead if it had dual-band capability, but it doesn't either. While it might seem like a small thing, I know in my area most people use 2 ghz. for their wifi signal and many household devices do as well. This solution (while an extra cost and an device) works for those of us that need access to the 5 ghz. band.