Quantcast

Quick question about Co-Star Remote

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by rehughe, Aug 24, 2012.

1. rehughe

rehughe New Member

I have a Logitech Revue, and am returning my Sony NSZ-GS7, and thinking of buying a Co-Star.

I have a very simple question, that will make the Co-Star a make or break item for me.

On the Revue keyboard, there is a way to power on/off the TV, AVR, and STB....with the three easy buttons at the top of the keyboard. Does the Co-Star remote allow you to easily turn on/off the TV, AVR, and STB??

Thanks!!

2. Joendsu

Joendsu New Member

I only see a power button (for co-star) and tv...no avr. Maybe some one else knows how to easily power the avr like with the revue. So far I would rather have another revue over co-star.

3. engelke

engelke New Member

Nope. You can power control the Co-Star itself and a TV. Nothing else. Some TVs apparently support something called HDMI-CEC, which will let the TV control the Co-Star, but that still won't control your AV receiver or (I suspect) a set-top box.

Also, I can't get the remote to work properly with a TiVo. I can change channels - sometimes - and bring up the TiVo menu - sometimes - but can't select "View Live TV" from the menu.

I'm on the verge of demanding a refund and reverting to my Logitech Revue, which is a great device except that Chrome (especially with flash) is very slow and crashes.

4. LeadingMan

LeadingMan New Member

One camp says that there are too many buttons on the remote, that it's too complicated. The other camp (this one) wants more buttons and more complexity. There are many factors and trade-offs that go into these design decisions, companies need to design for the 80% solution.

5. Joendsu

Joendsu New Member

Having a button to power the av receiver adds complexity? No...it would simplify it. IMO revue nailed it with their remote with regard to powering devices.

6. twosted

twosted New Member

It does power off my Vizio TV through HDMI CEC. But it doesn't power off any of my other devices.

7. rehughe

rehughe New Member

Well looks like no Co-Star for me.

I really want a Google TV device that has a Logitech Revue type remote...that easily controls my TV/STB/AVR. I am really disappointed with these new Google TV devices. Most people willing to shell out $100+ for a Google TV box, you would assume have a decent home theater setup. Why wouldn't you make a nice remote to control everything?

Really depressed I have to go back to my Revue...Chrome and streaming videos on there is a nightmare!

8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I haven't read much regarding how the Revue K700 keyboard works with the NSZ-GS7 but if it handles everything well except powering off TV/STB/AVR, maybe try pairing the same keyboard to both devices, just have the Revue disconnected except for IR blasters and see if that works. The only commands the Revue would handle are the needed IR functions, of course it will also be accepting every keystroke and possibly be doing some weird things but hopefully not resulting in putting it in a state where it wouldn't handle its IR responsibilities. Sounds weird having the box be nothing but an IR extender but without trying it, we can't know if it would be a solution. You will need a unifying receiver to place in the NSZ-GS7.

9. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

A vivid imagination, Revue (or GS7) as an IR extender :D
    It should work ... (why not).

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  10. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

He doesn't like the Revue and doesn't like the NSZ-GS7 apparently because the remote won't power on his TV, AVR, and STB, maybe not handle other functions as well, not sure but it might work to solve all issues if he is basically happy with how the Revue controls his various components. If he hasn't returned his NSZ-GS7 yet and has a unifying receiver around the house, if he is like me has about 4 of them, he could sure see how it works.

11. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Was OP referring to THIS post?

12. blackberrycubed

blackberrycubed New Member

My amp and tv support CEC and with CEC enabled on all I can power on all or power off everything with no issues