Quantcast

Questions on low performance on Wifi

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by kirby524, Jan 3, 2014.

1. kirby524

kirby524 New Member

Here's my problem I am experiencing a low performance on the wifi connection on my Vizio Co-Star, whether it is beside the router or located in another room. In wireless, I cannot stream any movies on Vudu and M GO. YouTube works, but it is lowered in low quality. I attempted a reset on the Co-Star and changed the wireless channels from my Netgear router. There was no sign of any improvements. A wired connection showed a sight improvement (according to the connection test). In both wired & wireless connection, I am not able to stream any movies from Vudu.

My 9-year old son has a Vizio TV and wanted a Vizio streaming player to watch his Ultraviolet movies. His TV is located in a different room than our Internet router. So I cannot do a wired connection. What are the best ways to improve the wireless signal? Do I have a defective device? If so, should I ask for a replacement, or get a different device?

Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  2. retroben

retroben Active Member

YES! PERFECT TIMING!

I just did something to improve my Wifi speeds VERY recently.
    I kept moving the position of my GS7 slightly until I had Excellent Signal Strength with a 72Mbps Link Speed!

Go to System Settings>Network>Wi-Fi.
    Click on your currently connected network to see the network speed.

Now here is where the magic is.
    Keep adjusting the position of your Vizio Co-star while frequently going in-and-out of the connection's info until you see a higher number like 72Mbps.

I hope this fixes your problem as it did for me.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Vudu doesn't work on my Co-Star and I believe most Co-Stars, although apparently not all. I started a thread here and there is a thread at the Vudu Forums on the issue. Vudu has stated that Vizio will have a fix for the issue soon. This shouldn't have anything to do with your Wi-Fi issues, my Co-Star has a strong Wi-Fi signal.

4. ChrisG8

Here is the thread, in case you are able to get adequate speeds and Vudu still won't work, it also has a link to the Vudu Forums thread which has more information.

Do you have a Co-Star LT or Co-Star with Google TV?

5. kirby524

kirby524 New Member

Thank you for your suggestions. It is Co-Star with Google TV.

6. retroben

retroben Active Member

Sorry,I got too excited and did not read it well enough.

I think that it might be your router,or your type of internet,if not both.
    My Wifi provider is Charter Internet via Cable.

7. kirby524

kirby524 New Member

Thank you. I use a Netgear WNR1000 and my Internet provider is Time Warner Cable. The download speed is 16-17MB according to speedtest.net. One of the main reasons why I bought the Vizio Co-Star was Vudu, which mentioned above is having problems. I own a Vizio 3D TV (wireless Internet and no streaming problems) and also I love the controller for the Co-Star. I really don't want to return this device. It's a shame it doesn't work right out of the box. Is there any other Google streaming player you'd recommend? I considered a Apple TV, but my son wanted to watch his movies from Ultraviolet.

8. retroben

retroben Active Member

My internet is currently being crappy right now because of Charter itself experiencing difficulties (HD cable channels scramble occasionally).

In my experience,my Sony NSZ-GS7 has a great Wifi performance since the beginning.
    Then again,I did all of the exploits and tricks for the best performance I can get.
    I don't know how the GS8 performs in comparison though.

Here is my topic about the performance tricks/exploits I did with my GS7.

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...how-my-sony-nsz-gs7-peaked-its-potential.html

9. ChrisG8

The Sony NSZ-GS7 or NSZ-GS8 are good choices for Vudu and my favorite internet streaming players and are the same except for the fact the GS8 comes with a remote that adds voice control. The recent Roku models offer Vudu although some complaints exist at Vudu Forums about the Roku Vudu channel. I have used Roku for Vudu without any issues and consider Roku excellent and very easy to use. The Roku 3 is the best model to date, I don't own it but I have used the Roku 2 XS and Roku LT for Vudu, the Roku LT is 720p and is connected to a 720p display. The Roku 2 XS does Vudu HDX 1080p and 7.1 Dolby Digital+.

10. ChrisG8