Quantcast

Question for Wisdom and anyone else with an opinion.

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by MarkP, Mar 10, 2013.

1. MarkP

MarkP New Member

Wisdom posted a link to a streaming site a day or 2 ago and the posts appear to have been taken down. That's cool.
    My question is, is the GTVplayer worth the money? I've tried several "free" players that work okay and have stuck with
    the VPlayer but the TV streams on a particular series I'm watching seem to freeze near the end of each episode. Would I expect the
    same from the pay players?

2. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Are you talking about this streaming site TV PORTAL APK (Side Loading Is Required)

You can get the TV Portal.apk app HERE
    TVPortal 1.0.12.apk .... (Side Loading Is Required)

3. MarkP

MarkP New Member

Yepper. That's the one. Great site. What kinda player are you using? Any issues with the streams?

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

5. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Here is the 'official' TV Portal site which will have the latest version as they upgrade.

TV Portal

As for media Player, I have paid for and use ViMu (formely known as GTVBox). For me it has worked great for the most part. There have been occasional hiccups but that is mainly to do with the encoding of the video file. It is capable of playing streams from local/networked HDD, Internet streams & streams via DNLA. There is a free version you can try to see if it works for your needs.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...xLDYsIm5ldC5ndHZib3gudmlkZW9wbGF5ZXIubGl0ZSJd

• Like Like x 2
  6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I had tried a few movies from the TV Portal app on my Logitech Revue. Some played OK while others played for a few minutes and paused. Then they continued playing and paused again over and over. I noticed this happening on the Gorillavid host site - so I tried the exact same movie on another different host site "Sockshare" (through the TV Portal app) and it paused and stuttered exactly the same.

Thus my hunch is that the problem is with the particular file. I read on the Google Play reviews (before TV Portal was taken down) that others with cell phones also complained about some of the videos stuttering.

Someone from the "Buffering problem" thread (that I mentioned in my previous post) said he tried a movie that stuttered on GTV - and then he tried the same movie with his computer and it didn't stutter on his computer. Thus my hunch is that some of the files are in a format that the GTV doesn't stream with hardware acceleration. Without hardware acceleration the videos stutter on devices with limited processor power such as GTV & cell phones - while the same file on a computer with a more powerful processor didn't stutter.

Anyway some of the videos play OK and some don't. However IMO increasing internet speed, changing player etc. won't have any effect on those particular videos with the stuttering problem.

* I tested the movies on the TV Portal app with the Avia player and the ES File Explorer player - and my results were consistent for both players.

** OK on the Vimu Player information web page it states:

"With some high-bitrate movies (more than 20Mbit/s) you can experience buffering lags. The movie sometimes stops for a couple of seconds, and starts again. It would be either a networking issue (your network or your SMB server is not fast enough) or an issue with ViMu caching system. To resolve ViMu issue you can try to go to Options->Application Preferences and play with Cache size option or try to disable caching at all."

--- I haven't tried the Vimu Player with the TV Portal app - but if you try it I would follow the suggestion and try playing with the Vimu Cache size preferences and/or disabling the cache and see if you get improved performance on those videos that stutter.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013