Quantcast

Question about media player

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by trudinh, Feb 6, 2012.

1. trudinh

trudinh New Member

can it play subtitle file such as srt? if not what the best way to hard sub a mp4 file without changing quality?
    can it play 7.1 surround sound?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Sure, it can. However, that's up to the implementation of the DLNA server not the client. The client merely will display whatever the server gives it.

That would also depend on the multimedia converter tool you use. Some of them like Format Factory and AVS Video Converter will allow you to customize font and its options while others will not.

In order to play more than 5.1 channel sound natively, the audio must be encoded with a high-definition format like Dolby Digital Plus or DTS-HD. However, I don't believe these codecs are supported on most Google TV devices. It might be possible it is compatible on the NSZ-GT1 since it has the codecs necessary to play Blu-Ray and DVD titles. If you have a 7.1 stereo system then you can probably use its extended processing features to expand into the missing channels.

3. trudinh

trudinh New Member

first, the converter, i use the setting u gave me and the quality came out awful. second, how do i get the media player to play srt file (subtitle file). and lastly i heard of avia player, does avia player support more format or is it just a reskin of the media player.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I'm wondering... and not to be mean, but do you have an attention deficit disorder? I ask because it seems a little off to bringing up these settings and Avia. Since, I believe the thread/post which the suggestions were offered a long while ago and has been updated with a suggestion to not use them. Also, no where in this thread did anyone mention Avia Media Player till now.

Anyways, in order for the any DLNA media player to show the subtitles, the DLNA server will need to incorporate it in their streams. TVersity, for example, can do display the subtitles by forcing transcoding and enabling subtitles in ffdshow which is middleware which they use to transcode. If you're using a different DLNA server then I suggest you contact the developer if they allow in their implementation.

Avia Media Player is an app created by a separate developer than either Logitech or Sony. And it is much more than a skin. In fact, it has its own sets of quirks and problems. I have an open issue filed with them about their app not participating correctly while GTV is being used as a wireless bridge. This is something that neither Sony or Logitech Media Player have a problem with, so obviously its not just a "skin".

As for the media converter settings. I recommend that you do your own research. There are some pretty good guides located here regarding ripping and media conversion. Guide, How To, Tutorial and Article list - VideoHelp.com Unfortunately, I learned there's is no single encoding setting that will give you excellent results for everything. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a need to tune and optimize the parameters. Apparently, different movies will give different results and it takes a little bit of know-how in order when to apply which setting.

5. trudinh

trudinh New Member

so i should use tversity instead of window media player to stream?

EDIT i use Tversity, but is it just me or is it really slow and laggy? and the video cover (movie cover) dosnt show.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012