Quantcast

question about Google TV updates

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by HarpoonIPA, Feb 28, 2013.

1. HarpoonIPA

HarpoonIPA New Member

With the many brand name companies out there making Google TV devices, who is making and doing the updates? Does for example Sony make there own updates with there own programmers and does Vizio have there own as well or do all updates come from Google? The reason I ask is, I've read this brand just got an update but that brand didn't.

I think it also would be an advantage / disadvantage if the brand company is in charge of updates because of sales with one brand selling better then another. If said brand were to be discontinued and brand maker was making these updates you may never get new updates.

But if Google is in charge of updates it wouldn't matter if said brand was discontinued.

So where do they come from?

Cheers HarpoonIPA

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google provides the base OS updates to the GTV manufacturers - while the different Google TV devices each have their own firmware. So the manufacturers take the base OS update from Google - and then the manufacturer's engineers add the necessary drivers for their specific hardware.

IMO the last update the Revue received was actually rolled out from Google servers. However going forward this is probably a moot point - as it seems the newer apps and capabilities are being designed with the Marvell Armada 1500 processor in mind. The Revue is running an Intel atom chip and GTV boxes are no longer being manufactured with Intel chips.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Google provides the key ingredients and the manufacturer adds the specifics necessary for their devices so the answer is updates come from both Google and the manufacturer. We don't know what is going to happen with updates for Google TV devices from manufacturers out of the Google TV business. Logitech has provided updates for the Revue despite announcing the company would no longer make Google TV, the last update was October of 2012, a couple of months after Sony updated its Google TV products. The speculation is there will be no more updates for the Revue, we will see although there may not be any updates for any of the first generation models.

Edit, CatfishRivers answered while I was taking the dogs out in the middle of my post.

4. HarpoonIPA

HarpoonIPA New Member

Thanks, that is a question I've been wondering about, now that also would be a deal maker or breaker when looking into what brands are selling well and which brand to buy