Quantcast

Question about file downloads

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by 07gsxr, Feb 1, 2012.

1. 07gsxr

07gsxr New Member

Is it possible to download an video file from the chrome browser to a external HDD and play it with GTV Box Player app.

Thanks

2. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

I'd have to ask another question. "Why would you want too?"

All things considering, and assuming you have an actual computer, I would say that it would br much easier to just download it to your computer then stream it using gtvbox.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

3. 07gsxr

07gsxr New Member

Im looking to replace my HTPC. I rip my entire collection and upload it to my cloud so I can access it from any 1 of my devices. So with the GTV, I would like to download it straight to the external HDD from inside the GTV

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're better off getting a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device instead of an external HD if you want your own personal "cloud". Trying to use Google TV with an external HD as a NAS device is probably not best use of its available resources.

5. 07gsxr

07gsxr New Member

I agree, I just wanted to know if it is possible to do.

• Like Like x 2
  6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It is possible but it is not something I would recommend to anyone not even people I hate. First of all, there's no reliable way for Google TV to keep the an application to share your files. Android's Tasks Manager will eventually kill off tasks that appear to be idle. So, you'll have to reopen its sharing capabilities when it does. Then there's the issue of partition compatibility, for Sony you can only use FAT32 so you'll have limited file and partition sizes due to the format. Logitech can use NTFS but it is a little quirky about the partition and file sizes.

Get yourself a separate NAS or if you can't afford a full feature one this Iomega Wireless Data Station would probably suit your needs for a low price.

• Like Like x 4