Quantcast

Question about Dish for LG Google TV

Discussion in 'LG Internet TV' started by jgariano, Dec 23, 2013.

1. jgariano

jgariano New Member

I just purchased a 55-inch GA6450 LG Google TV. (From what I understand, the GA6450 is the GA6400 with a $50 Google Play credit.) I am moving to a new house, and this unit will be the TV in the main room.

In my current house, I have a Dish receiver that I connect to via an Ethernet cable to an old Sony NSZ-GT1 Google TV device. I signed up for Dish back when I got the Sony device because I was told that it inter-operated with the Google TV device better than my previous Cox cable box. I've been very happy with the integration of the Sony and Dish receiver -- we control everything through the Google TV interface without a hitch.

So here's my question...

The new house we're moving into currently has Cox cable. Before calling out the Dish people to install the satellite thing on the roof of the new house, I'd like to know if there will still be benefits of using Dish with my new LG GA6450 TV like there were with the older Sony unit. If so, could someone please explain what those benefits are? (I never really knew what the advantages of the Dish setup were with my old Sony, since I used it with Dish from day one.)

Thanks,
    Joe Gariano

2. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

the only extra benefit that you had with your Dish box, compared to any other STB, was that the ethernet connection allowed the GTV device to search within the DVR of the Dish STB...

you would get the same functionality you would on Cox STB as you would on the Dish STB except you will not be able to search with in the internal DVR of the Cox STB...

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

4. jgariano

jgariano New Member

Cool, thanks. Sounds like I'd be better off sticking with Cox. The wife never much liked the look of the satellite dish on the roof, so she should be happy.