Quantcast

Question About Chromebook As Substitute For GTV

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by guest, Jan 31, 2015.

1. guest

guest Active Member

As a future replacement for Google TV, I plan on purchasing an Acer Chromebook, this one: Amazon.com Acer Chromebook 11 CB3-111-C670 11.6-inch HD 2GB 16GB Computers Accessories

My desire is to replicate the Google TV experience using a Chromebook.

As such, there are a few other items that need to be purchased to accomplish this transition.

1) This Unifying Receiver, to enable the use of my current Logitech Google TV keyboard: Amazon.com Logitech Unifying receiver for mouse and keyboard Computers Accessories

2) This USB to Ethernet Connector, for when I need to establish a wired connection rather than a wireless one: http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-USB-100Mbps-Adapter-TU2-ET100/dp/B00007IFED

My question is this: will this set-up EXACTLY replicate the functionality of a Google TV?

As I understand it, the Chromebook has an HDMI Out. One would connect the Chromebook to an HDTV via the HDMI Out, the same way one connects a Google TV. Google TV comes with a separate keyboard, The Chromebook does not. I've read that next year, there should be a Chromebook with a detachable screen and keyboard. In the meantime, if this Unifying Receiver works as I'm hoping it will, I'll use my current Logitech keyboard, if it's not incompatible with it. If it is, I'll need to buy a "detached" keyboard for the Chromebook that WILL work with this unifying receiver. I'd like to use a remote, in the style of the old Sony MSNTV2 remote control, but a keyboard will be acceptable, as it has been with the Google TV.

Is there anything else that I should consider, or be thinking about, for this transition? Will this set-up even work in duplicating the GTV experience? If it does, why are we all still using Google TV!!!

P.S. - If GoogleTVForum doesn't offer a sub-forum on the Chromebook/Chromebox option, there are these other forums for issues, questions and answers for those interested in this set-up:

1) Chromebook Forum Google Chromebook Forums

2) Google Groups

3) Chromebooks - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

(Thanks to catfishrivers for mentioning this possibility over a year ago.)

2. Travel

Travel Active Member

It's really difficult to get any good information on the question of: "what are the differences and similarities of a Chromebook compared to a GoogleTV box." There has to be someone(s) who not only knows GoogeTV pretty well and also has a Chromebook, but willing and articulate enough to submit a useful post on the subject.

You may increase your advantage by getting a Chromebox, instead of a Chromebook, as the Chromeboxes have better specs (e.g., the Asus Chromebox has 4GB RAM, a built in ethernet port and an audio port for your sound system).

But, the Chromeboxes are desktop and, with a Chromebook, you'll have a laptop as well as a streaming/internet access device.

One of my concerns with the Chromebook is the audio capability. There won't be a digital optical audio port on the Chromebooks, but you could use an HDMI splitter to your sound system. I'm just not sure, even then, about the quality and Dolby capability.

That's another good feature of the Sony GS7: it has the right audio specs.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't have first hand experience with a Chromebox but from what I have read, it appears to be a good box and a good value and I would definitely recommend it over an Android mini PC which I also like but are unapproved and basically a hobbyist box, expect to spend more time dinking around with it than using it.

A Windows mini PC beats all of the post Google TV little boxes so far in my opinion, if you want a web browser, traditional PC functions and streaming access all in one box. It falls short in some ways as a streaming box for my needs. I don't have Chromebook, Chromebox or the official Android TV but I have most all of the rest of the options.

5. guest

guest Active Member

6. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

The problem with using any general purpose device on a TV is the integration with a decent remote control. If you're happy mousing around trying to click buttons on web pages to get your video streaming, then a chromebox or embedded PC could certainly work.

FireTV is one of the better compromises at the moment because you have lots of Apps that work well with the provided remote as well as the ability to sideload Apps and use a 3rd party remote or App.

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The Logitech K700 works well with Google TV, Android mini PC, and a Windows PC in my opinion. I don't know how well it works with Fire TV, I haven't tried that completely but I suspect not well based on connecting it and a brief trial when I first got Fire TV. I haven't read about whether or not it works with Chromebox. Of course not everybody wants to use a full sized keyboard with their smart TV box but I sure do.

8. guest

guest Active Member

If the K400 works with Chromebox, then the K700 will too, IMO. A sync. is required, though, using Logitech's unifying receiver. Amazon.com Customer Reviews

9. guest

guest Active Member

Overtimeman had pre-ordered the Asus Chromebox in March of 2014. Asus Chromebox Is A tiny Chrome OS Desktop For 179 And Up Google TV - Android TV Forums

Did he ever do a review of it in this forum? Does he still use GTV, or does he now use Chromebox exclusively? Maybe he cancelled the pre-order; I haven't gone through all his posts in the past year.

The other issue mentioned in the link above relates to the possible interoperability of Netflix due to the current lack of "webcrypto".