Quantcast

Quality sucks . . .

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by michael180, Feb 24, 2011.

1. michael180

michael180 New Member

I just purchased a Sony GoogleTV, the 24" model, and the video quality absolutely sucks. I main tv's are Panasonic's, brilliant video quality. I'm wondering if it's going to improve at all, or this it?

2. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    Hey, you might check out the Settings to change the image. Settings-Picture & sound, I have my GTV set to vivid/cool and that is nice for my room, that can get a lot of sun.

3. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

I can imagine it's poor out-of-the-box...search AVS forums for your model, and look for what settings others are using..many have dialed in their sets using:
    DVE or similar, and report their settings for their given room qualities and viewing distance. I often find their setting s MUCH better than out of the box, and have a base to tweak them from that point. :)

4. michael180

michael180 New Member

I can't even get to the settings. This is the worst piece of &%$it I have ever purchased. It looks like 60s TV. I knew I should have stayed away from Sony! UGLY!!!!

5. galfert

galfert Active Member

You should have done better research before getting a Sony Google TV. You obviously have some very critical tastes in your tv quality. For most people the Sony Google TV is amazing. There is nothing wrong with your personal experience and sofisticated viewing taste and requirements. Sony put out TVs with Google sofware to compete in the market. Sony's higher end TVs are of much better picture quality and technology. If you wanted the best then you should have gotten a Sony high end TV without Google and added a Logitech Revue. That is what I did. I'm not the only one of this opinion. If you search the Internet for Sony TVs with Google TV you'll see that professional reviewers agree with this statement. So my only grip with your comment is where you decided to bash all of Sony's products because of your single particular purchase. That is not indicative of true Sony leading technology and quality. The same thing can be said for the Sony Blu-ray player. But for people wanting Google TV and a Blu-ray player it is a very sensible cost concious option and for most people it is better than good enough.

Also did you know that the Sony 24 inch Google TV is the only one with CCFL backlit LCD? All the other Sony Google TVs of larger size use LED lighting. Sony doesn't hide this fact....read the specs or product reveiws....this isn't a secret. I'm not saying that this difference alone would be enough to possibly satisfy your tastes. As even the larger Sony Google TVs are no match for their true high end models.

Google TV is a new type of product. Google and hardware manufactures want this technology to take off and they want to put Google TV in the hands of more people. It is a good thing that it wasn't priced for only the high end market. As it is Google TV is still considered expensive in the light of comparing it to Apple TV, Roku...etc....although it is somewhat not fair to compare as Google TV works differently and does more. But for some people Google TV does more than they need to.....so if you just want Netflix then get a Roku.

You made the equivalent purchase of a small TV with built in VCR and you expect it to perform at a price point for which it wasn't designed and for which you didn't pay enough for. The combination consumer electronic product has never been as good as separate components.

My point is if you have expensive tastes then you have to pay for it. The Logitech Revue and high end Sony TV would have been a better solution for you.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  6. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

Galfert that was very well put.

7. dbuss

dbuss New Member

Galfert..Well done.

I did exactly as you...bought a Sony nx810 and a Logitech Revue. I am very happy with both. I looked at the Sony Google TV first, but when I read the specs they were clearly not what I wanted in a TV.

8. harley man

harley man New Member

thats why it pays to do your homework :cool:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  9. 521BJ

521BJ New Member

Also did you know that the Sony 24 inch Google TV is the only one with CCFL backlit LCD? All the other Sony Google TVs of larger size use LED lighting. Sony doesn't hide this fact....read the specs or product reveiws....this isn't a secret. I'm not saying that this difference alone would be enough to possibly satisfy your tastes. As even the larger Sony Google TVs are no match for their true high end models.

Google TV is a new type of product. Google and hardware manufactures want this technology to take off and they want to put Google TV in the hands of more people. It is a good thing that it wasn't priced for only the high end market. As it is Google TV is still considered expensive in the light of comparing it to Apple TV, Roku...etc....although it is somewhat not fair to compare as Google TV works differently and does more. But for some people Google TV does more than they need to.....so if you just want Netflix then get a Roku.

10. galfert

galfert Active Member

521BJ,

What's up with you??? This is the second thread where you've taken my comments from a previous post and just pasted them as your own without quotes. And you add no comment! I'm not sure what you point is. Or are you just having trouble using this forum properly?

11. harley man

harley man New Member

whatcha you talking bout willis ! lol i was thinking the same thing Galfert lol

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  12. ttechnology

ttechnology New Member

let's take a quick look at recent pricing for the 40 inch: $999 - $200 instant credit - $250 for a Revue. $549 for a 40" LED TV is a heck of a deal. Tune it up and it's quite respectable. figure you bought Google TV for its promise as an early adopter. Even if it cannot do everything we hope it will, having a large screen internet browser with Netflix in my living room is fun. Picture in picture IMDB while watching a movie or Yahoo finance while watching the news is great; Just enjoy it for what it is. I am. Think back to the first internet enabled DVD players and where they have come. I think better things are on their way.

13. harley man

harley man New Member

hey welcome and i 100% agree with gtv is cool and only going to get better

14. galfert

galfert Active Member

I'm not sure I follow how you get a Sony 40 inch TV with Google TV for $549. Please explain. I get that there is a $200 ecoupon....so now you are at $799. But how are you then subtracting another $250 for a Revue???? How exactly does that work? And if you are purchasing a Sony 40 inch with Google TV then how does the Revue even come into the purchasing equation?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  15. michael180

michael180 New Member

You are quite right. It was a impulse purchase. I've since returned it, and am doing some exhaustive research. As for quality TVs I have three Panasonic Vieras. I wanted the small screen TV for my video work, and Sony looked like the best choice.

Thanks . . .