Quantcast

[Q] Brand New Asus Cube with Comcast Xfinity X1 - Command Set (Help!!?!!?)

Discussion in 'Asus Qube' started by n1nj4Lo, May 31, 2014.

1. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Member

What on earth do I enter for the set-top-box's command set?

It's either a motorola or pace pr150bnm, logitech revue found it as a motorola and I never had to enter this crazy command set line before.

Anybody know? Thanks

I'm hoping this'll be a good upgrade from the logitech revue.

2. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Member

Okay this is stupid and might very well be a real deal breaker for me!!

I skipped that step and then once everything was all up and running I went to add video source and it cant find Comcast/Motorola/Pace PR150BNM... Logitech Revue has it listed as Comcast PR150BNM and it actually lets me change the channels and all that.

So how is it a newer device is more outdated than a older device?

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The newer device of course isn't outdated compared to the Revue but when it comes to control of other components, the Revue is still unequaled in my opinion among Google TV models, it has the largest base of controllable devices and is the most customizable. I think this comes from the fact Logitech also offers universal remote controls, the Harmony line and have a great deal of expertise in that area. Each Google TV manufacturer needs to offer a large database of devices it can control and Asus may not have done a very good job. I am not sure your STB can't be controlled by the Cube, get a list of other Motorola and Pace model numbers and try those to see if you can find one that works.

4. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Member

Yea I stayed up last night till 5am trying this and all of them, sadly it doesn't even control my tv either.

What's more hilarious and stupid is that Asus has non-hdmi devices listed in their supported lists.

Is there a way I can grab the command set listing from the Logitech Revue, factory reset the Cube and when it asks me that question on that step enter what my Revue has it listed as and the correct Command set from Logitech to go along with it?

I don't see why different brands have different lists, this should be something crossed platform.

5. ChrisG8

That isn't the way competition works. Logitech has the expertise with a large database of IR codes and it would be silly to pass that on to the competition for free. Logitech hoped to use that as a competitive advantage but unfortunately the Revue was a huge money loser, it didn't help at all. Logitech also tried offering a camera with its Google TV product, another product Logitech has experience with, hoping for a competitive advantage, that failed as well. Logitech bowed out of the streaming box business.I suspect that Asus could have purchased codes from Logitech or spent a lot of money developing their own code database but for whatever reason didn't, probably cost, the Cube is a low profit margin product. I don't know what you paid for your Cube but it sounds like you expect a lot for not very much. My Sony models also fall short of the Logitech Revue as far as IR code database but fortunately, I have only mainstream products to control, TiVo DVRs, LG and Vizio TVs and Yamaha AVRs. Sony and Logitech both cover all of those.I don't think there is anyway for the consumer to expand the Asus IR code list, that is up to Asus or Google and at this late date, I am not optimistic that can happen.

6. ChrisG8

Are you sure you have a good IR signal getting to the Motorola/Pace STB?

7. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Member

Yup it's right directly in front of me almost four or five feet away from me... I was hoping being a Google Product Google had control of the IR Codes and could decide what to do with them, it is the larger company after-all, they're all working for it in this game.

It's funny, I've bought 3 Logitech Revue's first one was 70 bucks, my personal one, bought one at a pawn shop for 50 bucks, gave it to my gf, bought a second one for 35 bucks at a secondhand electronics shop, gave that to my bro, then had high hopes for the Cube since it was/is a popular name and a 2nd Gen GTV and got disappointed by this...

I might try the Netgear Prime, seeing it has PrimePwn and hdmi pass through, or I'll try my main dvr the Arris MX011ANM and see if any of the codes operate it.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  8. saeba

saeba Active Member

Location isn't important. I think you may have the wrong idea of how this works....

It's not your remote that controls the other components... it's the IR Blaster that's connected to the Asus Cube. You should have received a IR Blaster that plugs into the Cube and has wires going off to 2 little heads. You plug it into the Cube and place one of the heads by each IR input of devices you want to control (Cable Box, TV, etc).

So, Asus Remote sends commands to Asus Cube. Asus Cube sends commands via IR Blasters to controlled devices.

9. ChrisG8

As saeba pointed out, where the Bluetooth remote is doesn't matter. I don't know if the Cube sends IR commands from the box as the Revue does but even then the need for an IR emitter to communicate with the STB is common. The Xfinity X1 is popular and reading online makes me think the old Pace set of codes should work and I would hope the Asus Cube includes those.

10. saeba

saeba Active Member

The Cube does use an IR Blaster as described. I have a Cube I picked up when Groupon had a deal on them. I'll add it to my signature.

Tech tip: Make sure the IR Blaster is plugged all the way in on the Cube. It's easy to not push it all the way in.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  11. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Member

Yea that's what I meant I am not that far away from the ir blaster, but I guess I'll have to try putting them in a different location > closer to each device.

12. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Member

Just as I thought proper placement of the ir blasters and still nothing... So it's not operator/user error, it's device error in a piss poor ir code command set list. After-all they're just a mere measly computer company. Not a big company like logitech with remote control history.

13. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Member

Okay so I've been reading around and it's either:
    Vizio Co-Star and Sony NSZ-GS7 or Netgear Prime, I'd hope being a Tv company Vizio and Sony would have a awesome ir code list almost next to Logitech's.

14. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Just a heads-up - some Vizio Co-Star owners are also having problems setting up the Comcast Xfinity X1 box:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/vizio-co-star/8354-controlling-xfinity-x1-stb.html

Although one Co-Star user claims he got it to work by using a random code:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/vizio-co-star/8718-pairing-co-star-xfinity-x1-dvr-box.html

IMO the second generation GTV boxes might never be updated beyond the Honeycomb OS. If I were you I'd wait until Google I/O on June 25th to see what the announcements are regarding the new Android TV platform. That way you'll be able to make a more informed purchase decision. It's just a few weeks away.

15. saeba

saeba Active Member

OK. I will say that with the Cube, I found that the IR placement was critical. I had to put them right on the sensor. My Sony's were much more forgiving... just had to get their IR Blaster some where near the unit they were controlling. But if you've been playing around with placement, you probably tried all options.

16. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Member

Yea I remember hearing in the reviews push it in until ya hear a click, but now that I think about it I also remembered hearing reviewers complain about the ir blasters too...

And just to update, it also wouldn't connect to and control my Arris mx011anm, I tried Arris/Comcast/Motorola(Since some comcast members reported it as one)/Pace to be on the safe side and have everything covered.

I guess now it's just up to making a new decision on a GTv replacement or getting a new DVR that's compatible and listed.

Really want a second gen, and not take a step backwards to my revue.
    My last two cheap options are a better ir blaster and also I saw on one receiver it had a ir input option in the back...

17. ChrisG8

I am using a triple IR emitter cable for TV, TiVo and AVR and the signal is weak but once placed properly, it works fine. It requires precise placement right at the IR receivers. I do have a Co-Star, definitely get the Sony NSZ-GS7/GS8 instead in my opinion. The Co-Star doesn't use blasters or IR emitter from the box, IR from the remote control and I don't like that design difference.

18. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Member

I'm really wondering if plugging in a ir blaster in the ir input of the back of the box would increase my chances of getting it to working. I'd need to order a 3.5mm ir blaster first.

I remember seeing somewhere that the pace boxes don't use ir, which is odd cause I saw a small kinda redish circle about half a inch big on the front of the box and I placed the ir blaster right above it ontop of the box.

19. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Member

I retired the cube and picked back up my logitech revue... Sadly after switching dvr box's the revue programmed the new dvr with the same exact code that was used for the small piggyback dvr. I didn't even have to enter a new code. LoL

20. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

I had a Cube for a while. The ir blaster situation was one reason I returned it. The Cube itself would not control ir devices without using an ir blaster which meant I could only control one device using the included wire. I had to pick either the tv or the cable box. My Sony GS7 handles multiple ir devices without the wire and even handles my ATV3. The Revue was better than either as it had an extensive library of devices it could control via ir without using any ir blasters.

Anyway, I thought the Cube itself would not emit the ir controls.

Philip

Sent from my Fire HDX.