Quantcast

PS3 Netflix Streaming much better/smoother than Revue

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by amigan_99, Jan 19, 2012.

1. amigan_99

amigan_99 New Member

I recently picked up a PS3 for the blue ray capabilities mostly. I had grown to accept the pauses and buffering with the Revue thinking perhaps it was an issue with my wireless. Well the two devices sit side by side a room away from the Netgear access point. And the PS3 is the clear winner. I hate to write this because I have really wanted the Revue to be my bridge between TV land and Internetlandia. The new interface and app store is a big improvement. But I really think they should go back to the drawing board on netflix streaming.

2. dlflannery

dlflannery New Member

I share your disappointment. I have a Tivo which is generally regarded as the worst of all Netflix client devices. However, after the 3.1 update, my Revue is rivaling the TiVo for that "honor". Unfortunately, since the Revue is a dead product line, the chances that either Logitech or Netflix will "go back to the drawing board on netflix streaming" seem very slim.

3. surprisinguy

surprisinguy New Member

I tend to agree. Since this "update" Netflix does have some pluses and minuses... When it works, it works well - the sound is 5.1 and I'm getting a nice HD picture and it's very enjoyable. When it's doing it's buffering and rebuffering and REbuffering over and over it's a PIA. Usually just backing out of it and restarting the show fixes it, but WHAT a PAIN!! I can go for days with it doing fine, then bam! it's screwed.

4. drweb

drweb New Member

dlflannery,
    Saw your post. I'm getting a TiVo Premiere, and know they do offer a different type of wireless adaptor for that -- N-type? I wonder if you have got that, and it works better/faster than the earlier wireless adaptors?
    Best,
    DrWeb

5. dlflannery

dlflannery New Member

My TiVo HD is hardwired via ethernet. I've never used a wireless adapter of any kind so can't help you. I don't know if the Netflix app on the Premiere is different than on the Series 3 models. For your sake I hope it's better!

• Like Like x 2
  6. amigan_99

amigan_99 New Member

@dlflannery,

The PS3 comes with only 802.11b/g. In my non-expert opinion I think it just has a superior netflix video caching
    algorithm than the Revue. Or another angle would be if Revue/Google TV just came out with a superior streaming
    video offering than Netflix. I'd be glad to ditch Netflix if someone could offer a better instant streaming selection
    with better caching on the Revue.

7. dlflannery

dlflannery New Member

The most common behavior is to get the "We are having trouble playing this title ..." interruption within the first minute of starting a title and, after clicking resume, it plays completely through. There are some exceptions -- I've had as many as three of these interruptions in a movie title. What this suggests to me is a bug in the algorithm that sets the buffer size to be used with a specific title. I've had it happen on SD titles, which should require a relatively small buffer relative to HD 5.1 titles. My theory is it recalculates a larger buffer size when you get the interruption and resume. It's a mystery to me why the 3.1 version of this app now requires you to click twice to achieve this.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  8. MowTin

MowTin New Member

Does the Revue work better with a wired ethernet connection? I could easily run a line. I sometimes think that it's the Revue's wireless network abilities that are weak.

9. rbringh

rbringh New Member

No, I have two Revues, 1 running wireless and 1 wired. Issues are the same on both.

10. dlflannery

dlflannery New Member

That is an important data point!

11. derekcentrico

derekcentrico New Member

I am in the same boat. Streaming sucks with Logitech Media Player because it cannot remember UPNP indexes for crap. But, the continuous freezing and buffering for any content is ridiculous. I was so excited to have Google Music on the TV in a stable manner. But, the Revue freezes mid-stream on songs and takes as long as 20 seconds to buffer a small audio stream. I have been using a wired connection for a month hoping for improvement and gleaned nothing from the experience.

I think it is the Revue and not Netflix. The box hardware specs should be able to handle minor streaming. To me, it seems that the network interface has brain-farts.

I made a post today about the Revue latency issue on Logitech's forum. Being that I am not a big poster here, I cannot link to it directly.
    forums.logitech.com/t5/Revue/Revue-latency-makes-streaming-audio-or-video-a-chore/td-p/784201

As a beta-tester for Slingplayer, I can attest that this is box-related. It has major issues even with their web-app and keeping the data stream constant from the that flash app.

12. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Member

I did the Netflix trial back in August when I first got my Revue. It worked fine (hard wired).
    I haven't tried it since the 3.1 update, but I can tell you that Amazon Prime works great.
    I signed up with Amazon a few weeks ago, and we watch something on it every night.
    We've been watching the TV series "24" every day, usually watch 5-6 episodes with no problems at all.
    Just finished up a 10 episode marathon.

13. derekcentrico

derekcentrico New Member

All: I suggest checking your router's settings. Look for "WMM" (usually around Apps & Games or QOS settings). If you have it enabled, disable it, save the settings, and reboot the router.

WMM is defined as "Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM) is a wireless Quality of Service feature that improves quality for audio, video, and voice applications by prioritizing wireless traffic."

However, WMM is fatal to a number of devices and data packets because it incorrectly prioritizes them as low priority instead of high. I had this issue many times on other devices, but I recently enabled it when I got the Revue going with Honeycomb. I just recalled that and decided it was best to disable it again. Seems good so far.

14. ecaggiani

ecaggiani New Member

My Revue is hard wired and Netflix works great. I have seen the "having problems playing this title" error before but not very often, especially after uninstalling and reinstalling Netflix. I also try to remember to reboot my Revue at least every few days. When my Revue has been running for several days without a reboot and we've used it a lot, it seems to start having issues...probably memory running low or something.

If I could find an app or service that automatically reboots the Revue every night on a schedule, most of the problems would go away. Anyone know of any apps that can do that?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

15. cjhill1836

cjhill1836 New Member

Try adding the MAC address for your Revue at the highest priority setting, under the QOS menu in your router settings. I had this same problem with my hardwired Revue (20mbs down), and after adding the Revue's MAC address, then doing a quick ctrl-alt-del reboot of said Revue, the problem seems to have vanished.

I had initially tried disabling WMM, but it did not seem to help, and it caused my tablet to have streaming issues with the YouTube app. I ended up re-enabling WMM and going with the solution above. Two days in... so far so good!

Update: This seems to have fixed all of my streaming issues besides the Netflix error, "We are having trouble playing this video..." I found a compatible task manager app called Android Assistant, and that has seemed to remedy the issue so far. Android Assistant is in the market for free, and does not need to be sideloaded. It also has a widget that I placed on the home screen, and one click on said widget before I open Netflix seems to do the trick. Fingers crossed that this continues to work...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  16. halox

halox New Member

I would give Tasker a shot with that. I may try it myself... been thinking about implementing a nightly reboot as well.

EDIT: Can't seem to do it with tasker alone ... hmmm... will have to give it a little more thought.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  17. dlflannery

dlflannery New Member

Was talking to a Revue support agent on a different problem today and took the opportunity to ask about the Netlix "We are having rouble..." interruptions. He was aware of the issues. He said it isn't a rebuffering problem. It's that the Netflix server has lost communication with the Revue app and can't continue. I specifically asked if Logitech acknowledged this as a problem with the app and, if so, what is being done about it.

His response was not too reassuring. He trotted out the standard arguments that the Netflix App is not programmed by Logitech and that all Google TV devices are running the same Netflix app. I just did a search on the Sony GTV subforum here and I couldn't find ANY complaints about this error message/interruption. (I wish I had done that search before I talked to the agent, although I doubt anything I said would really make a difference.)

18. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

dlflannery, Thanks for your information!

I am the owner of four Revue units, and just received my new NSZ-GT1 last month...

Surprisingly I have never experienced the error message:

"We're having trouble playing this title right now. Please try again later or select a different title"

if I use netflix on my Sony NSZ-GT1, but with the Logitech Revue films always stop several times!!

Like you already did, I also made a search in the Sony subforum, and I couldn't find ANY information or complaints about this error message/interruption, so I am starting to believe that this problem only occurs in the Logitech Revue?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  19. cjhill1836

cjhill1836 New Member

Okay guys, I have effectively eliminated this issue on my Revue, here's how. First let me start with my setup, I have my Revue hardwired to my home network, which has a 20mbs down 1mbs up Road Runner connection. I talked with Netflix support and they told me the reason for the error was packet loss. Their solution was to shut down my network and bring it up piece by piece, which I did. I also, in my router's settings, added my Revue's MAC address as "High Priority" in the QOS tab. In the gaming tab, I added ports 80 and 443, which is what the Netflix app uses. And finally, I use the Android Assistant app's widget on my homescreen to clear up my cache and backround apps every so often. I don't know if just one, or all of these things has fixed the issue, I just know that I haven't seen the error in about a week. Curiously, I still have some mild streaming issues with the Youtube and Redux apps. Nothing major, just some buffering here and there, but I don't think that should be happening on my kind of connection. I hope this helps out, I'll update if I come up with anything else.

20. dlflannery

dlflannery New Member

Happy for you, but none of what you're doing is new. I've done/do the equivalent (different routers have different configuration pages and I use a different Ap Killer) and still have the interruptions. We shouldn't have to fiddle with all these measures just to get Netflix. On the Sony GTV, which Logitech tells me uses exactly the same Netflix app as the Revue (??), there have been no reports of this message/interruption that I've been able to find. Looks like a Revue problem to me!