Quantcast

PS3 Media Server Help

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by CR96, Oct 9, 2011.

1. CR96

CR96 New Member

I use UPnP to stream my videos from my Windows 7 computer to my Google TV (Sony, NSZ-GT1 with Blu-ray Drive). I used to use Windows Media Server as my DLNA server, but as an iTunes user, I'm fed up with the way WMP's library works (more often than not it says that I have no videos in my library when I know I do, and messing with the Player's libraries changes my computer's four default libraries too). So, I found PS3 Media Server online. I like it better because you can choose custom cover art for your videos - which looks awesome on my TV - but for some reason, whenever I try to play the videos on my Google TV, it says they cannot be played (something about a corrupted file). The files are obviously not corrupted since they can play on my computer, and they are all in either MP4, M4V, or M2TS formats, all of which Google TV can play. How do I fix this problem?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

There are programs like MetaX which can embed the cover art into MP4/M4V files.

Most likely it is either transcoding or failing to transcode to a compatible format that the Logitech Revue can play. Try using another DLNA server like Twonky, TVersity, and Logitech Media Server instead.

3. CR96

CR96 New Member

We don't have a Logitech Revue, we have a Sony NSZ-GT1 Google TV set-top box that works no matter what HDTV you hook up to it (in our case a Panasonic).

I already use MetaX, but I run into trouble when I try to use TSMuxer to embed a JPG into an M2TS file. Can this be done? If so, how?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

My bad, I had a brain fart. Though the same premise applies even if I got the product name wrong.

Unfortunatly, MetaX only works with MP4 and M4V files. You'll have to find another program to embed them into the BDAV's M2TS format. Also, different DLNA servers have other ways to display coverart that isn't embedded within the file container.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  5. daddypants

daddypants New Member

you can try using XBMC instead. it will show the custom covers or poster art, and it works really well. but there isn't a transcoder in it. i use it more often then the ps3 media server when i have alot of stuff going on with my wireless network, it seems to work even when the ps3 media server disappears for no reason in the DLNA list.

i've been converting the odd formatted videos in my collection that wouldn't play on the google tv into xvid and its been alot easier for me, especially since now i can play those off of the hard drives too instead of having to make my computer play it over the network. the software i've settled on is Total Video Converter and AVS Video Converter 8. i can convert a folder full of bluray rips into high quality xvid in just a few hours while i sleep. its pretty fast and convenient compared to the headache i deal with when trying to turn off other hardware on the network just to get the videos to talk to the stupid tv. the xbmc will work when everything is on in every room, and it'll play bluray rips as xvid with no issue. this has been the best method i've found so far.

6. asmodeus

asmodeus New Member

Well, I wanted to link you to a thread in the ps3 media server support forum, but being a lurker for ages and this being my first post, I'm unable to... Try this...

go to ps3mediaserver dot org /forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8113

7. simollie

simollie New Member

Newbie question: you can use XBMC with Google TV? Is there a XBMC app? Or you are talking about XBMC act like a DLNA server? Sorry, I'm quite clueless here.