Quantcast

ProBox 2 Mini PC (Hands-On)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jan 20, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

ProBox 2 mini PC - Liliputing (click for detailed review & video demonstration)

By Brad Linder

"The Probox2 is an Android mini PC with a dual core processor and a wireless remote control that works as an air mouse and also as a voice input device. But more importantly, it's one of the best Android TV sticks I've tested so far, thanks largely to excellent build quality and strong WiFi reception.

Many of the ARM-based mini-computers we've seen in recent months have specs that seem to match the Probox2's, including the same processor, memory, and operating system.

But many of the cheaper models also suffer from awful WiFi reception which makes the sticks nearly unusable for surfing the web, streaming internet video, or doing just about anything else that requires an internet connection - in other words, most of what you'd want to do with a tiny Android device that you can plug into a TV to run apps on a big screen.

The Probox2 doesn't really suffer from any of those problems, which makes it a pretty good option if you're looking for a device that turns your TV into a smart TV capable of running thousands of different Android apps.

W2Comp sells the Probox2 for $90, and the company sent me a unit for testing purposes."

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I would think the Archos TV Connect is a better choice than anyone of these no name Android mini PC sticks.

3. CatfishRivers

It would be great if Brad Linder (the guy that writes the reviews & articles for Liliputing) could do a detailed review of the Archos TV Connect and give his thoughts & comparisons. He has reviewed and used quite a few android TV sticks.

But in general I tend to agree with your assessment. In addition to the reported wi-fi issues with most of the "no-name" android TV sticks - there is also the issue of lack of support for firmware. Some of thse companies put out the android TV device with less than adequate firmware - then instead of addressing the issues they move on to the next latest & greatest new model.

One thing that I would recommend to anybody that got stuck with an android TV device with poor wi-fi - is to use it with a USB ethernet adapter. They can be bought on Amazon for something like $15. Android devices support ethernet through USB.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  4. CatfishRivers

For those that are interested Brad Linder has a YouTube channel which includes a lot of video hands-on reviews of various mobile tech devices - including several android TV dongles:

BradLinder's channel - YouTube