Quantcast

Problems with Wifi

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by apinel, Oct 6, 2012.

1. apinel

apinel New Member

I am having problems connecting to my wifi network with my GTV. I have to reset the router every time I want to use online features of GTV in order to connect to my network. This is the only device in my apartment that I have a problem with. My laptop and cell phone work fine. At least resetting the router seems to work but it is annoying to do this every time. I updated the firmware of the router and still same issue. I also did a reset of GTV and problem did not go away.

When troubleshooting I go into systems settings and network I see my router and when I click on connect nothing happens and I see the Wifi bar on the top displays "Scanning" or "Waiting for IP..." from my router but it never connects. If I reset the router then it connects. Any help is appreciated.

2. BobinVA

BobinVA Member

Apinel,

Perhaps a range extender might boost the signal strength to the GT.

Resetting the router has been working for you,so I don't think there are too many devices dependent on said router.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

There are numerous threads about WiFi issues on the forum. This is probaly my favorite:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...box/3311-wifi-not-working-after-update-2.html

Essentially I recommend trying to change to a static IP.

If that doesn't work you could try removing encryption from your router (I know not the greatest fix in the world).

Another option recommended in the thread is to try a Powerline adapter.

Some GTV users had success by trying another model of router. But the first thing that I would try is changing to a static IP. Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  4. apinel

apinel New Member

Thank you CatfishRivers. Setting static IP address seems to have fixed the problem so it seems to be a problem with the router allocating dynamic IP address to the GTV through DHCP. I will say however that this problem seems to be more related to the GTV rather than the router as I don't have problems with other devices. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen again.

5. deanve

deanve New Member

I'm setting up a new G2 and can't make my Wifi work, either. I've used all the permutations of protected setup on my Linksys 4200 router and from the administration pages it says the connection is successful, yet the G2 sits there forever indicating that it is "connecting". I tried the static IP route suggested above and that doesn't help. As a workaround I've got it hooked with the wired port using a Linksys gaming adapter, I would prefer to use the built in wifi. Also, in this work around configuration, my Nexus phone running the Google TV remote application is unable to see the G2 on my local network.

6. rvogue

rvogue New Member

I have been experiencing the same issue for the past month. My wifi seems to work on every other device in my home: laptop, wii, and cell phone. My TV recognizes my wifi but it continuously "scans" and disconnects. Also note that my TV is not too far away from the router. I have read the suggestion to "set static IP" but have no clue what that means or how to do so. Can someone please elaborate?

Thanks.

7. deanve

deanve New Member

In a typical configuration, your router talks to your device using DHCP, Dynamic Host Control Protocol, to supply an IP address to your device from a range of internal addresses it administers (usually something like 192.168.1.XXXX) where XXXX is one of 256 addresses. When the device (in this case your google TV) wants to communicate with the outside world, it sends this address to the router and the router translates this to a new address, basically the address the router itself receives via DHCP from your network service provider. This can be anything, lets say it is 100.100.100.50. The router will map the 192.168.1.XXXX address to its address, but add a special port value (ports are 16 bits, giving it 2^16 or 65536 port numbers to choose from) so it can keep the network traffic straight. This is called NAT, Network Address Translation. Setting a static IP means your device doesn't need to ask your router for an IP address via DHCP. You just assign it an unused one out of the range it has available to it (one of the 192.168.1.XXXX ones mentioned above). Typically you need to look in the administration pages of your router to ensure you don't use some addresses it is already giving out (although something like 192.168.1.205 should probably be safe, it usually starts handing out addresses at a low number and now many devices can a home network have?)

8. deanve

deanve New Member

My problem is gone now. I had been thinking it must be something wrong with the firmware of my Linksys 4200 router. It was the best one that Linksys was selling last year but I've seen some bad reviews. I just upgraded to an Asus RT-AC66U 802.11ac router and my TV is successfully connecting over wifi now. I didn't do anything differently, both the Linksys 4200 and the Asus RT-AC66U are pretty much in out of the box configurations (with encryption turned on, of course)