Quantcast

Problem with Sports Feeds

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by gkamieneski, Feb 24, 2013.

1. gkamieneski

gkamieneski Member

I am having trouble accessing sports content through FirstRowSports.eu and Streamhunter.eu. They do not work the same way on my GoogleTV as they do on my laptop. All of these sites have extraneous ads and hyperlinks that require you to click "red x's" to close certain windows to be able to get at the content and zoom to full screen.

For the most part this works on my laptop and I can connect through HDMI to my TV for viewing, but with the Chrome browser on GoogleTv, when I click to close these extraneous Windows in the same manner, the insidious apps get opened and I lose the ability to watch the content. At first I though it was just a pointer calibration problem and that I was not correctly centered over the "red x", but I slowed down the pointer and still have the problem. When, I am trying to watch ATP Tennis from Dubai and am trying to close an overlay window to see the tennis feed by clicking the "red x", I don't wish to open windows of "naughty Russian girls" when I have centered on the "red x" to avoid this.

Does anyone else here access content from FirstRowSports.eu or Streamhunter.eu and how do you deal with this issue if in fact you too experience the problem? Thanks.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I use VIPBox.tv which is very similar. I have had better luck with it on my Logitech Revue compared to FirstRowSports. Still as you mention it takes some finesse and trial & error to successfully remove the pop-ups. I'll try to explain how I do it:

1) I click for a stream and a huge pop-up blocks screen. I click the "x" to close the pop-up and I'm redirected to another spam site.

2) I click the back key and try the same stream again.

3) Now a smaller sized pop-up ad blocks the screen. With the touch-pad I maneuver around the cursor until I see a little tiny "x" appear onscreen (this tiny "x" is smaller than the regular sized small "x" which is readily visible and will say "click to close javascipt layer" (or some such thing) when you maneuver your cursor over it. You won't see this little tiny x until you finesse the cursor around a bit - as it's not readily visible like the regular small sized "x" is. After you finesse the cursor around a bit the tiny "x" appears onscreen. Try finessing your cursor over the regular small "x" and see if an even smaller tiny "x" appears. You know you have found the correct tiny "x" because when you move your cursor over it you don't get the "click to close javascript message".

4) Click the little tiny "x"

5) Now I can see the game onscreen but an ad usually is still in the way. From this stage I'm able to click the onscreen video to make it go fullscreen. (It's on the bottom right of the video). Once in fullscreen mode all pop-ups are removed.

Quite a procedure eh? -:)

*Note: The above procedure works with VIPBOX.tv but not FirstRowSports. As with FirstRowSports the smaller little tiny "x" doesn't appear onscreen.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

CatfishRivers with all of the hoops you have to jump through to watch sports on those sites, you are getting more exercise than the athletes you are watching. I use ESPN3, CBS Sports.com and OTA for sports programming but as a cord cutter, live sporting events are lacking compared to a good cable or satellite TV package. With Wealth TV and EpixHD, I did use brief free trials for boxing. Other than the fact ESPN3 blacks out some events I want to watch, it is good for some live sporting events. I watched the Duke vs. Boston College basketball game today with ESPN3.

4. gkamieneski

gkamieneski Member

There is plenty of good sports content on FirstRowSports.eu and Feedhunter.eu however, Catfishrivers, your method of dealing with the little "xs" has not worked for me. The point I am trying to make is that the Chrome browser with GoogleTV is not behaving as the Chrome browser does on my laptop. In the latter scenario I can easliy wait out the ads and correctly deal with closing the offending windows, then connect my laptop by HDMI to watch on the TV.

Purchased my Vizio Co-Star expecting to be able to do the same thing but no such luck.

5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

CatfishRivers with all of the hoops you have to jump through to watch sports on those sites, you are getting more exercise than the athletes you are watching.

Lol! Ya made me spit out my last sip of beer! Geeze, cleaning my screen.

Too funny...

Carl

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  6. gkamieneski

gkamieneski Member

I continue to have problems using FirstRowSports.eu and Feedhunter.eu on the Vizio Co-star and the Chrome browser. No matter what "x" I click to close extraneous windows, the browser takes me away from the content and opens a new advertising window. I can never get back to the content.

This does not happen at all on my Win 7 laptop running Chrome. That platform allows me to "wait" out the advertising and click closing "x"s without a problem. Both running Chrome, there shouldn't be a problem with GTV.

I don't hear a lot of talk about this. Either people don't run sports feeds or they are not having this problem with another GTV device? I purchased the Co-star to avoid tying up my laptop so this is a deal-breaker.

7. CatfishRivers

It's the same on all GTV devices. On those sports web sites GTV doesn't open the links in a new window as Chrome on a computer does. There is no setting or "fix" to make GTV open links in another window on those sports sites.

I don't think that you read my previous post carefully. I have tried all the sports sites dozens of times and reported my findings. As I mentioned there is a way to make VIPBox.TV work with the method I described - but as I said that same method (that works with VIPBox) WILL NOT WORK with FirstRowSports. The sites are different in the way the pop-ups are handled.

By the way these are not really "legitimate" sports web sites. They all carry pirated sports streams and operate offshore. In fact the feds already shut down FirstRowSports once - and then a mirror FirstRowSports site popped back up in another country on a different server. So IMO it won't do any good complaining to Google or the GTV hardware companies about these kind of sites not working with GTV.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  8. gkamieneski

gkamieneski Member

Thanks, Catfish.

I finally have the explanation I was searching for concerning the differences in the Chrome browser implementation.

9. CatfishRivers

You're welcome. I wish there was a real solution to this issue - as I realize the workaround that I posted for VIPBox probably seems almost comical. I use that primarly for NFL games to watch my out-of-market "home" team (from the city I grew up in). I'll keep doing some more testing when I have time and I'll post if I discover anything new.

10. SolutionsEtc

SolutionsEtc Member

Is there any indication you are being redirected to a mobile site when using chrome on the costar?

11. gkamieneski

gkamieneski Member

No, that is not the case here.

12. SolutionsEtc

SolutionsEtc Member

Is the Costar version of Chrome considered a mobile browser? I ask because I frequently run into problems with popups on my Nexus 7 and 4 on non-mobile sites.

13. broker1k

broker1k New Member

here is what i do.. i route all my interne thru opendns to prevent the popups from popping up. from there its just a simple click of the x to close the dead pop up windows. this wouldnt be an issue if the google tv chrome had a better pop up windows killer

14. gkamieneski

gkamieneski Member

Are you using OpenDNS on the GoogleTv or is this something you are directing your router to?

15. broker1k

broker1k New Member

i set up thru my router... i did this becacuse my router was only capable of blocking ou 4 domains... and i needed a lot more of them blocked o prevent the ipop ups.

• Like Like x 2
  16. CatfishRivers

I'm having trouble following what you're saying.

It seems to me that you said you set this up from your router - because your router "can only block 4 domains and you needed a lot more of them blocked to prevent the ipopups".

Huh?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK nevermind - I went to the OenDNS web site and figured it out -:)

http://www.opendns.com/support/article/89

I don't use a router so I'm not able to test this - but others that test it with the sports feeds please post your results. Thanks....

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  17. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

It sounds like he is saying he has a router being used with open DNS capable of blocking pop up ads and those sports sites are a crapfest of pop up ads and redirects, I won't even bother to try to fight my way though that mess again. If he does and he is able to overcome that, he might actually be able to get to a point where something other ads can be viewed. I have never heard of a router like that but that sure doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

18. gkamieneski

gkamieneski Member

O.K. I set up OpenDNS from one of my laptops and I also set my router to use their DNS servers and set the Co-Star with the same settings. I think I see some pop-ups being blocked but I don't have the same success as broker1k for sites like FirstRowSports.eu. OpenDNS doesn't seem to handle the extraneous stuff there any better than Comcast's DNS.

• Like Like x 2
  19. ton

ton New Member

I thought this sounded like a good idea but the adds pop ups and everything else just laugh at openDNS and keep pouring thru. At first they seemed semi semi transparent but after several hours at this i will give up to.

I only installed openDNS on my [GTV] box as a trial not my modem. Some time before the next F1 race i will try it on my modem. All my efforts were aimed at letting me see the sports on Vipbox not the adds but it is looking like Vipbox is fast becoming a add viewer on [GTV] anyway. The best way to defeat the adds is firefox but thats a PC only solution so far but if that can do a such a good job of it there has to be a GTV solution. I also used the highest protection level

• Like Like x 2
  20. broker1k

broker1k New Member

After you set up opendns on your modem, u must log back on to opendns website and customize your popup domains so that they are blocked out. you can see what your pop up domains are by going to the web history area of your google tv system.