Quantcast

Problem with Live TV search results scheduled into the future

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by void.pointer, Oct 12, 2012.

1. void.pointer

void.pointer New Member

If I do a search for a TV show that is going to occur sometime in the future and select it from the list, I expect it to change to that channel but it does not. Anyone else notice this issue?

2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

Future shows cannot prompt a channel change. But it should bring up the "Set Up A Recording" overlay. This will have an explanation on how to record the show and should have three choices to click on: Guide; Tune Now: Cancel.

This feature is common to all GTV devices.

Where is the search taking You?

Carl

3. void.pointer

void.pointer New Member

Nothing happens when I select that TV show, the search interface disappears after I select it and I am left on the TV view like I was before.

I'm using Verizon FIOS as my TV service, my DVR is a Motorola QIP6416.

Any idea why it isn't prompting to record the show as you say it should? I've attempted to contact Vizio support on this (two times, to be exact) but their support representatives are all incompetent and keep insisting it's "Verizon's problem" and that it's an "IR code issue" or "DVR issue". They don't really care about helping me with this.

4. Carlszone

Hmm... I take it when you search a live show you are taken to the correct channel? Double check your cable line-up against the actual channel you are trying to access. Also try searching the next show on the channel you are viewing. Hopefully someone who has experienced this particular problem will show up and lend ya some advice.

I just wanted to make sure you understood that you can't be sent directly to a future program channel. Now that you've described the overlay problem, you may be better able to explain it to Vizio support.

Hang in there...

Carl

5. Carlszone

Oh, another way to test if your DVR/Cable box is responding to your synced account is to try the TV & Movies App. You can set this up from TV mode (Full Screen) by clicking on Menu. Then 'Edit channel listings.' Once you have your channels properly checkmarked, go to the App & scroll down to the bottom left-hand corner of the Menu sidebar. Click on the TV Options icon (The lil cog thingy). Click on Personalization, then click on yer e-mail address. Hit back. Your channels should show up in the Live TV section. At the top choose the next half hour and click on a live show. See if you get the overlay.

This troubleshooting step should let ya know if your DVR is properly synced to your acct. If so, try the search feature again.

Good Luck!

Carl

6. void.pointer

void.pointer New Member

I got in touch with Vizio support again and they informed me that the Costar utilizes HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) to record TV shows from the TV & Movies app, as well as from Google TV search results. He also stated that if the Costar does not detect CEC support, then it won't even provide you a prompt to record the show if you select it.

I'm not sure which Verizon FIOS DVR boxes support CEC, if any.

7. Carlszone

Sorry to hear that.

I was excited about the Vizio Co-Star, and anticipated buying one until I read their return policy. I know many folks love it. But I am very glad I've stuck w/this Logitech Revue. At least the problems that occur I am familiar with.

Well, here's another suggestion. I know Cox cable offers a few varieties of DVRs. This might be an option for you. See if Verizon can switch out your box for another model. Cox uses Motorola (which I think is the most compatible w/GTV) and a couple of Scientific Atlanta models. This is my 2nd Motorola since I hooked up w/cable in September. The 1st box would take me to the wrong channels and made a loud wheezing noise. They switched it out no questions asked.

Sometimes it's the Cable Box...

Carl

8. Carlszone

Btw, since you haven't had it long, ya might try a factory reset. This is always my last resort suggestion. Just remember to sync your bookmarks so they reappear. Your app library can be found here:

https://play.google.com/apps

You will be able to reinstall all free/paid Apps without charge.

Then go through the steps of setting up your DVR again keeping an eye out for anything ya might have missed the first time around.

Carl

9. dragon_0n4

dragon_0n4 New Member

Hey guys!
    My humble apologies for resurrecting such an old thread, but i'm out of ideas....
    Live channel search is not working on our NSZ-GT1, I believe, after AT&T replaced our DVR and gateway.
    I've done a channel/provider setup, rebooted everything a bunch of times, even went through a full reset of the sony unit. Nada.
    We have AT&T uverse, receiver is a cisco unit; any thoughts?