Quantcast

Primetime App not working in Canada - you can help change this!

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by chopper, Jan 6, 2013.

1. chopper

chopper Active Member

Please visit this link and click on the star! The more votes this issue gets the more likely it will become a priority for those who work on such issues for Google TV!

IMHO, this is a key feature of GTV and needs to be rolled out everywhere! Otherwise there is no incentive for users in other countries not to go elsewhere and buy an Android TV device such as the new Archos Connect which is Android in it's pure form with all the Apps and none of the GTV limitations.

Issue 123 - googletv-issues - PRIMETIME APP WANTED IN CANADA WANTED ASAP. - Google TV Issue Tracker - Google Project Hosting

Personally, I see no advantage to owning a GTV device outside the USA if Primetime is not rolled out elsewhere in fact all I am seeing now is disadvantages. A star helps the GTV cause and may help keep to keep GTV alive!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  2. Sean0977

Sean0977 New Member

I couldn't agree more. We need PrimeTime outside of the U.S. I've visited the link and clicked on the star. Here's the comment I left:

This is a must have feature!!! It's the reason I couldn't wait to purchase a GoogleTV. I was VERY dissappointed to find out that this function was not available in Canada. I don't want to use my cable companies archaic guide. In fact, I don't want to have to see any of my cable companies dvr menus. The cable companies dvr should just be a backend for recording my TV shows. I want to browse and schedule recordings using PrimeTime on my GoogleTV. GoogleTV has a great universal search engine, but what good is an awesome search function if it's only searching a few sources for me (netflix, webpages, imdb) We need results for what's on live TV and what I have recorded on my dvr. I really don't know why you would release this product outside of the U.S. if it doesn't work to it's full potential.

• Like Like x 2
  3. chopper

chopper Active Member

Well said and this is basically one of the main features that got me to buy my first GTV device and for a while it looked as though this was going to be included in Canada until the first users discovered otherwise.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  4. chopper

chopper Active Member

Email from Greg Funk from Googles GTV Team:

"We don't in fact use i.TV as an EPG data provider. They may use one of our data providers for US data though I have no idea who they use for Canada (licensing is per-country and there are typically multiple providers). There is a lot of work to make per-country launches happen; if it was just a matter of flipping it on we would have done it already. The issues are primarily technical & licensing.

Sorry I don't have better news but the app currently is US only. Thanks for taking the time to email me though. I really appreciate hearing from you.

Happy holidays!"

IMHO, this is going to take a while but the more people who want this and tell Google they want this the more likely it will happen sooner than latter.

For me it's off to build a Myth TV backend DVR as an outside the USA home made solution as the Myth TV for Google TV App should be able to integrate into Primetime and voice search nicely and act as a work around for this lac of availablity for this App,

I will post my experiences with the work around when time permits me to get to it!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013