Quantcast

PrimeDTV PHD-8VX Working?

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by captaintevo, Nov 28, 2011.

1. captaintevo

captaintevo New Member

Has anyone got this box working? I'm a new owner but I'm wanting to cut cable and just go OTA.

I found this at ePVision.com, the PrimeDTV PHD-8VX

This looks like it has everything that I would need, even a recently updated firmware that brings a supposedly better EPG. My thing is that I'm not really in need of DVR features so the channel master boxes that people have working are a little high in price for me. I just want to be able to watch live tv through the NSZ-GT1, have a working EPG and throw all the other remotes away and enjoy regular tv with one remote.

Would this work for me? Does anyone have this sort of setup going?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I don't know that's a pretty esoteric set-top box. I doubt that Sony has the IR codes for it. You might be better off purchasing an unsubscribed Tivo and using it soley as a HDMI TV Tuner with rewind capabilities. I understand you can get them off of Craig's list or eBay fairly cheap and we have quite a few people on the forum that do it. Besides, I know the Sony supports the Tivo IR codes.

• Like Like x 2
  3. captaintevo

captaintevo New Member

I've been looking into that too. It's a much cheaper option but from what I've read the unsubscribed tivo will not let you use the EPG. I've become a little bit addicted to having that. I guess if I have to sacrifice it though it might be do-able.

On the site for this other box they have this document about IR codes epvision"dot"com/HDTVSTB/Documents/PHD8VX_remote_control.pdf

I'm not really all that knowledgeable on IR stuff from what I understand I'd have to set up the IR blaster to change channels on the TIVO or this box. Is that correct?

• Like Like x 2
  4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Remember the Google TV has its own way of finding content to watch both through the Seach button and the TV & Movies app. And if you're looking for a more traditional type of channel guide, then you can always download BuddyTV Guide from the Android Market.

That document isn't going to help, there's no way of expanding the IR compatibility of any Sony Google TV device. Sony just didn't implement the same level of complexity nor customization as the Logitech Revue. The Revue can download IR profiles for over 5000 manufacturers and 250,000 devices from the Harmony Database as well as learn new commands from practically any IR remote. And, it has the flexibility to customize the controller to emit whatever IR command you can muster.

The Sony on the other hand has a fixed list of device it supports, each with static layout. The best you can do if your device isn't compatible or if a command is not represented, is report the issue to Sony Technical Support in hopes that it one day it is address in a future patch.

5. captaintevo

captaintevo New Member

Thanks for the info on the IR compatibility. The buddytv app is great too. I think I might try the tivo thing if I can find a cheap one because with buddy tv I don't need an EPG like the cable boxes. Thanks for your help!

6. japyon

japyon Member

I'm sorry, noob here, but...

what is EPG?

I'm also just purchased sony GTV box, and i don't have cable, just using OTA.
    eferz mentioned get Tivo Box, and use it as unsubscribed, how does it work?
    Just connect antenna cable to Tivo box, and connect Tivo to Sony GTV box?

Would Tivo record the OTA TV show..??

Since I'm here asking, I will go ahead and ask some question I have...

When I browse chrome on web, my controller has "zoom" button, but it won't zoom... and "scroll" button doesn't scroll...
    Also, maybe it's just my tv, but website's texts doesn't seem to show as crisp as I think it should be... is it normal??

Thanks..

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help. I hope it works out for you.

The Electronic Program Guide (EPG) provide users with scheduling information for current and upcoming programming.

Apparently, an unsubscribed Tivo can still tune in channels and has the ability time scrub through live tv. You can start manual recordings but anything that relies on the Tivo's Electronic Program Guide like Season passes will not work.

I think you have to at least allow it to call home once or something to be able to download the available channels. Try hitting up ChrisG8, he's the unsubscribed Tivo expert here.

Those are button modifiers, you'll have to hold them down and use the Optical Finger Sensor. Swiping towards you will increase and away from you will decrease which ever button you're holding down at the moment.

It could be that either the television or the Revue isn't set to display at the television panel's native pixel resolution.

8. japyon

japyon Member

thanks eferz, for all the answer!!
    I will look up "ChrisG8" for the info about unsubscribe tivo thing....
    I was almost considering to get Dish, since they are having some kind of promo for $19+ for basic, then I found out that is not HD included....

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

10. japyon

japyon Member

eferz, if you don't mind point me to the post ChrisG8's post about unsubscribed tivo...?

I don't seem to have luck finding the post

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

There are several actually, "Let me google that for you"

12. japyon

japyon Member

wow... how did you do that...? "let me google that for you"

Sorry, now I feel dumb, i tried to do the "search" within this forum...

and again, thanks!

• Like Like x 2
  13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I just use the lmgtfy.com website, enter the search parameters then copy and paste.

Sorry, that wasn't my intention. That's just the easiest way I know how to share searches. I've given up on using this forums "search bar" it really never works well enough for me. I always get the "The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search:" where as if I use the same parameters in Google it comes up just fine. For example, "How to:" is a common one I use to find my tutorial threads.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

• Like Like x 2
  14. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Keep in mind I have 2 TiVos with service and 1 without, the cost of lifetime service is certainly worth the price in my opinion but Google TV in conjunction with an unsubscribed TiVo is a good choice on a limited budget.

• Like Like x 2
  15. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I definitely agree on both counts but I prefer having the lifetime subscription. It really does improve the usefulness of the Tivo both in value and functionality.

16. japyon

japyon Member

Thanks eferz.... !
    I didn't mean to make you feel guilty by saying "I feel dumb", it was like... oh my god... I could just google it! kind of thing ... ^^;;

Anyhow, I was looking at eBay and CL for Tivo, and looks like I could get them for fairly good price, however, I came across few that says require subscription, and it usually on premier version of Tivo.

"Tivo HD TCD652160 Receiver Series 3" - do you know this box is required for subscription?

I'm also starting to think...
    If I managed to set up right with Tivo as unsubscribed, I'd guess, GTV won't bring up any live TV listing when you do the "onTV" search...? since there is no EPG info..?

• Like Like x 2
  17. japyon

japyon Member

and it looks like $9.99 for OTA user Tivo subscription promotion ended on 11/15/11

18. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Ah, I gotcha. You would be surprised how many epiphanies that I get for Google TV just by fielding questions and helping other people.

Technically, all Tivos require subscriptions to work at their full capacity. That's just how Tivo recoups their investments after selling them at reduced cost. They subsidize the cost of the box through the subscriptions and that's why you are able to purchase them at a low price.

Google TV gets it channel guide information from the i.TV not from the set-top box. That's where the information gets propagated for the Seach results and the TV & Movies or What's On apps. Additionally, if you're looking for a more traditional guide you can always download BuddyTV Guide through the Android Market.

• Like Like x 2
  19. japyon

japyon Member

Thanks, eferz, ... again!

I understand Tivo needs their subscription to fully use Tivo box, then "Tivo HD TCD652160 Receiver Series 3" still can be used with my Sony GTV box as unsubscribed... ?
    Sorry, I keep asking same question, but I just want to make sure it can, before I contact seller who is selling it for $40.

So you said GTV gets channel info from i.TV, when I do search on "onTV" section, it will have no problem shows what's currently showing on-live OTA through unsubscribed Tivo?

I do understand lifetime Tivo subscription is better, and better deal in a long run, however, I don't think I can spend another $500+ for it, since getting this GTV is already kind of spurge for myself for this holiday...

Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
  20. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Again, I do not have an unsubscribed Tivo let alone that particular model, so I am unable to answer that question with the experience to backup the answer. Using Tivos are a relatively new experience for me. I just purchased mine less than two months ago. Therefore, you will need to direct that question to ChrisG8 or someone else who has, either in the thread or through private message. I cannot answer your question in this regards with any confidence in order to give you the reassurances you need.

Okay, so this is how it works for EVERY set-top box not just unsubscribed Tivos. Let's say you do perform a query for "The Simpsons". Google TV's search will then query the i.TV channel guide based on your chosen provider. If it finds any matches then it will show the available choices. Opting to watch any of those options will instruct Google TV to send the IR commands for the respective set-top box to switch the appropriate channel.

Understandable, just so you know the PLSR promotional code still offers a $100 off the Lifetime Subscription.

• Like Like x 2