Quantcast

Potential GoogleTV buyer.....but will it work for me?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by DukeBroadway, May 27, 2011.

1. DukeBroadway

DukeBroadway New Member

Hi guys,

I have been trying to do some research but the answers tend to be very vague. I am in the process of dropping cable and going OTA. I have a channel master OTA DVR on the way. My tv is a toshiba 42h81, just old enough not to have HDMI. So here comes the questions.....

1. Knowing that my TV does not have HDMI, am I able to connect the Revue to the DVR then DVR to TV via component for viewing GTV.

2. I have heard mention of HDFury3, is there any other HDMI to component cable that works? If i needed the HDFury, I might as well get a new TV.

3. If I can successfully connect the Revue would I be able to access letmewatchthis.ch to view shows/movies?

Thanks!

2. galfert

galfert Active Member

1.) No it won't work that way.

2.) Yes the HDFury3 would work for your TV. I have one but not because my TV does not have HDMI (it does) but rather because my Slingbox only has Component inputs. So my Google TV output passes through an HDFury3 into the Slingbox and then to my AV Receiver and then to my TV and the picture quality is perfect. But you are right ...in your case you probably would be better off buying a new TV.

3.) No you can't watch video from that website on Google TV. That site provides videos via download and Google TV can't download anything from the web. Google TV can only stream video (Flash) from the web. The streaming that website offers requires xvid codecs and browser plugins that are supported. Google TV can also stream from your networked PC or DLNA server so if you first download the content from that site via a PC and then make it available on your network via DLNA then you'll be able to watch it.

You are precisely the type of customer that Google does not want purchasing Google TV. Because Google designed Google TV as an enhancement add-on to your current TV service (cable, satellite, telco tv), not as a replacement or as a way to cut the cord (getting rid of cable). The sooner people realize this and the sooner the big TV companies realize this too the sooner we will start to see major network tv website streaming video not blocked.

So keep your cable TV service and buy a new TV and you'll have the best experience and you'll be able to use more of the features Google TV has to offer.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  3. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    I watch movies at letmewatchthis.com on my Sony GTV just fine. If you know the site then you will find some movies wont play do to the need of plug-ins that GTV does not have, But other's will play just fine.

Also if you have the ability to get a new HDTV you might want to grab one.