Quantcast

Post update my tv sucks, anyone else?

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by Teko, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Teko

Teko New Member

Ever since the last google tv update (the one that added apps and the fancy interface) my 40 inch Sony google tv has been all kinds of sucky. More specifically:

1. I cannot run flash videos via the browser without constant crashes. It will run a video indefinitely if left to just play the video but if you are navigating through web pages with a lot of flash content and playing a bunch of shorter clips flash crashes almost immediately.

2. Moving the mouse around the screen via the remote is choppy and hardly works (so bad I had to download the google tv app on my phone to navigate the screen) I replaced the batteries, and I cleaned it and still it doesn't work.

3. They moved the sleep functions somewhere that I cannot find or maybe they eliminated them? I don't know.

4. The whole tv is sluggish in the worst possible way.

I have to wonder if this update was simply designed for people with newer hardware since it basically hardly works on the hardware I have. I probably should have considered this before I bought a tv with built in hardware, so laugh at my troubles if you like, but I thought I would at least get a couple years out of the thing and not less than 5 months. Thankfully the only thing that works all the time is netflix... knock on wood. I really really really wish I had not installed the lastest update... it worked great before and I was really happy with it - constantly being able to showoff its awesomeness to my friends etc... now I want to put a sheet over it :(

Anyone else having these problems? I would like to return to the lands of awesome. I searched around a bit looking for these types of issues but didn't find much... I am worried that I am going to get savaged by fanboys for writing this. The only thing I can say is that I want it to be good, I really do.

2. credo

credo New Member

I have the 40 inch and it is great since the update.

The sleep function is the timer app in "all apps". You can put it on your home screen for quick access.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

3. armstrongraphics

armstrongraphics New Member

I recently purchased the 40" Sony Google TV (3 days ago) and, while setting it up, it did an update -- so I don't know how it would have worked before the update. BUT, my question is in the Flash Player. I went to ABC to watch the last episode of Once Upon A Time and got an error message, saying I needed to upgrade the player in order to view the show. I tried to download the most recent Flash player and got a message saying the most recent Flash Player was installed with Google TV. Was it? Wasn't it? I thought this would be one of the simplest things to do with my new tv. Apparently not.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The ABC web site is blocking Google TV. The major networks made a business policy decision to not allow their online shows to work with GTV. This includes ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox. Google is said to be negotiating with them - so hopefully this situation will change in the future.

However there appears to be a 'glitch' with NBC.com blocking GTV - and sometimes it will work. Also all the sites owned by Viacom will work if you change your user agent to "generic". I suggest you read over the thread entitled "Free Major American TV Channels That Work With GTV" to get the latest scoop.

Just so you know - GTV users currently have Flash 10.2. There is no way to update or download a new version of Flash on our own with GTV. We can only get an updated version of Flash if it is given to us through a system update. Adobe would pass along any updates to Google - who would in turn pass it along to Sony and Logitech.

However Adobe has recently stated that they will no longer be giving new Flash update versions to mobile devices and GTV. So IMO if we're lucky we will get Flash 11 sometime in the future (because Flash 11 has been available on other mobile devices for a few months now) - but that would probably be our last Flash update.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  5. armstrongraphics

armstrongraphics New Member

This makes me wonder if I made a good choice in purchasing at this time. I thought I was going to be able to watch the same shows/videos that I do on my Mac. With the change from analog to digital, our nightly tv watching has become somewhat frustrating. We don't care to purchase monthly dish or cable subscriptions and the convertor boxes last about one year from our experience, and reception is not as good as we had with analog reception.

Thanks for the information, as disappointing as it is. I need to check out the ESPN feed to find out if we'll be able to watch soccer like we have on our Mac.

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Google TV alone is bad choice for "Cord Cutters". Supplementing it with either PlayOn or a Tivo to offset the content which is being intentionally blocked. If you have bad digital reception then you should get yourself a long range good antenna. Even if you cannot mount it outdoors, it'll be better than "rabbit ears". I got this combo deal at BestBuy and my antenna is mounted inside my attic not outside.

7. deeger

deeger New Member

This is what I have noticed is that GTV has issues with memory-management. Check in the apps settings and see how much memory is being used. The way I cleared my issue of slowness due to memory being peged was a hard reboot...I unpluged the TV. I went into the apps settings at uninstalled apps that run in the background that I had installed, but don't really use. By the way this all happened when I was streaming the US Mens soccer game from ESPN3 website.

8. Rick44

Rick44 Member

Can you tell me how to do this?

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

GTV Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Running and at the bottom, you'll see "RAM: # MB Used and Free" at the bottom.

10. Rick44

Rick44 Member

Okay, I did that. I have 227mb used and 206 mb free. Is that good, bad or somewhere in between? The system is sluggish sometimes and other times it's not.

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Who knows?! Some people say Android has a better memory management than other systems, so you don't need to manually shut down apps. However, I think that a bunch of poppycock. Otherwise one wouldn't need to go through the process of shutting down apps and clearing cache in order to avoid the quirky problems with various movie players. Especially, the Flash web movie players.

12. 1fatfrog

1fatfrog New Member

I didn't even think about the need to shut down apps.

13. abrcrmdl23

abrcrmdl23 New Member

I have found my that my 46" TVs picture looks amazing and runs way smoother after this update, it used to be slow and look like crap but not any more.

Sent from my 1.4 ghz Mopho powered by CM7

14. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

Just to clarify, by "this update" you mean this Feb 2012 update?

15. abrcrmdl23

abrcrmdl23 New Member

Yeah the one from the other day. I have a 24" and the 46" and both pictures are way improved, and overall speed and operation is way better than it was.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Mudig

Mudig New Member

I got the newest update a few days ago and I can tell there's an improvement when playing Fifa 12 on my PS3. Maybe it's in my head, but honestly, the one game I play the most and punishes you the most for slow reactions is Fifa 12 and my dribbling + shooting has improved. So the latest patch must have done SOMETHING with the input lag, right?

17. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

Wow, this is awesome, I'd luv to hear from some other people to confirm this. Also... are you guys saying that the lag problem is solved or that the input lag has "improved"?

... and when you say your TV's picture has improved, is that for all sources? or just generally gaming console sources?

18. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

Sounds like some nice added benefits were bundled in this latest update -

Google TV 3.2 update enhances HLS video streaming support, Plex update takes advantage - Engadget

19. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

Yow! You were right... and if it's your imagination, then both our imaginations must be hanging out!!!

I applied the 3.2 update and if u didn't say it... I wud hav thought it was just me. From my ignorant point of view it seems to be that there must be some enhancement to the upconversion... I was going to rush and get an HD box from my cable company, but now... even without it the feed now looks amazing!

I still want to hear from some other folks though what they have been experiencing.

20. abrcrmdl23

abrcrmdl23 New Member

I use over the air hd, through an antenna and the gradation of Grays and dark colors was terrible after this update this problem has seemed to go away and the picture looks amazing like hd should, my old 720p Hitachi rear protection lcd tv used to look better than this TV but not anymore haven't tried out the lag because i hook my game systems up to another TV but at least the picture looks better.