Quantcast

Poll: How Would You Rate The Jellybean Update?

Discussion in 'LG Internet TV' started by CatfishRivers, Nov 22, 2013.

?

How would you rate the Jellybean update on your LG GTV television?

1. 5 stars

11.1%
  2. 4 stars

11.1%
  3. 3 stars

33.3%
  4. 2 stars

11.1%
  5. 1 star

33.3%
  1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

For those that have received the Jellybean update on your LG GTV television - how would you rate the update? The options are 1 through 5 stars - with 5 stars being the highest rating and 1 star being the lowest rating.

If enough people vote we can get a feel for how well the Jellybean update is going over within the GTV community.....

Also please feel free to post any comments that you might have regarding your rating of the Jellybean update in this thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this section I'll periodically update the number of ratings and the overall rating from everyone that voted:

*As of 06/13/2014 there are nine ratings and the overall average rating is 2.55

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  2. ericd

ericd Active Member

I voted 3 stars. If Google can get providers like Hulu and now apparently HBO to quit blocking content on GTV specifically (which I think the Android TV rebrand is attempting to do), I'll add a 1/2 point.

Find and implement a viable flash alternative (another 1/2 point)

Open the Playstore up already (full point)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  3. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

i gave 5 stars. Jelly Bean is far far better than the old Honeycomb. smoother, faster, zippier. the UI and many of the function now work more like it does on my smartphone, which makes it easier for me, since im already familiar with 4.2.2 on my phone. (one less UI to learn). the browser is faster and doesnt freeze as much or at all. yes it doesnt support flash, but that was never a concern for me since it was already common knowledge (to me) that any device except a PC would get questionable Flash performance (i use my computer for flash, i use my TV as my monitor). the App sore is now much much better, with many more apps than before.

i know that my score is not really representative of the typical customer since most Joe Shmoes out there thought that as long as you have a browser, that it could play flash. since most people have that misconception its easy to understand why most people are upset that the TV now does not support flash (even though flash support was questionable for non PC devices from the beginning). plus, i cant blame Google or LG for no flash. its purely Adobe's fault in my opinion.

4. StevenMattera

StevenMattera New Member

I gave 4 stars. Jelly Bean has defiantly brought life to my Google TV. With Nova Launcher, Emulators, and really anything that could be on my Phone. I docked a star because lack of Miracast support (Promised on my TV Model), lack of Chromecast support (Promised by Google on the Jelly Bean update), and lack of one-to-one phone-to-TV control (Shown in a video on YouTube being demoed on my TV with the Jelly Bean update.)

5. carlr052910

carlr052910 New Member

I think it is ridiculous that the Jelly Bean update was supposed to bring us more apps because there would be more transparency between the tablet apps and the GTV apps, but this didn't hold true. Upon upgrade I am stripped of Flash and lost websites like Crackle, lost apps like Slacker and PlayOn, and we still don't have access to anymore apps than we've had before. Everything that I have lost due to the upgrade I had to side-load the APK files for to get it back.

I also think it's ridiculous that you can have Chromecast for the HBO Go app, but we can't even utilize this on the GTV. Apps like YouTube and Netflix can utilize it, but HBO Go can't. I mainly purchased my TV because of the HBO Go support, then it is stripped away from us, and then there is no explanation for it other than HBO telling me that they upgraded their Flash. Then I had to find out on my own through research that it didn't work with the Chrome browser anymore because it still utilized an older version of Flash. Then after HBO Go was stripped away GTV still advertised that HBO Go worked with it. And of course companies like LG just denied anything and didn't have any answers.

I feel that in the midst of expanding Google TV (or Android TV or whatever they want to call it these days) they are retracting from it. It is nowhere near as good as it was when I had my Sony buddy box for Google TV. Android keeps taking everything away that makes it a great product. Oh and Google doesn't provide any support except for their out-of-date blog, and their unhelpful ambassadors on the G+ community page.

6. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

We'll see how this poll goes, but my main impression is that this is just a really small community. I suspect most LGTV users are just watching their TV and not worrying a lot about the smart TV features.

7. Travel

Travel Active Member

It seems that the "negatives" mentioned about the update will go away with the addition of Chromecast to GoogleTV. Chromecast is always adding to their apps support (now with HBO GO and Hulu plus), and other streaming content sites like Crackle would seem to be on the way to being added. And the Play Store should open-up significantly when the apps-tweaks catch up to the update. I mean, the solutions are already in progress. Patience. The next update, the KitKat, is specifically designed to enhance the TV experience with Andriod, so it seems that GoogleTV is merely just in the midsts of the sea change towards a much improved, new paradigm, rather than currently at an end-point in the process.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  8. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Chromecast support won't help people who don't have a secondary device to control it, and at best is a work around for those of us who don't care to use our secondary devices as a remote control.

For instance, nothing is going to dissuade me using my Apple TV to watch NBA games until something else supports a commercial skip button.

9. bobz

bobz Member

My expectations were great but most everything still comes up as not compatible so 1 star for me.

10. carlr052910

carlr052910 New Member

When I tried to download apps from the Play Store it always gave me that message. I started sideloading apps from http://play.google.com by finding the app that I want, going to APK Downloader [Latest] Download Directly | Chrome Extension v2 (Evozi Official), follow the instructions, download the apk, put it on a flash drive, and install it through the file browser. What I did from the start though was I installed Google Drive to my TV, save apks to my Drive from my computer, and then access them on Drive on my TV to install them.

I have been able to use apps like HBO Go, Crackle, Slacker Radio, Firefox, ScreenOrientation (so it keeps phone apps in landscape), GrooveShark, and basically any apps that I can think of. I really haven't had any issues with this process either.

11. bobz

bobz Member

12. carlr052910

carlr052910 New Member

I tried to side load flash, but it did not work correctly in Firefox. A little Lego block appears and nothing happens. My guess is I didn't find the right version. I downloaded the newest flash version apk I could find on Adobe's web site, but that version and the one before that gave me the same same issue. I know that they stopped supporting Flash with version 4.0.x Android, but I don't know if that is the issue.

13. callanish

callanish Member

Just a shot in the dark here, but users of the new kitkat OS for Nexus devices were frozen out of flash with the new upgrade. Someone got around it by using a combination of the Dolphin Browser and a hacked flash apk and it works great on my Nexus 7.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=47958533#post47958533

I'm wondering if the Dolphin browser can be side loaded in Jellybean as Firefox doesn't work with Flash using this hack. Like I said, it's a shot in the dark, but since I don't have Jellybean yet on my Sony GS7, I can't try it out.

Would you, if you have time, see if installing Dolphin Browser and this modified Flash version solves anything whatsoever in trying to bring Flash back to Google TV

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

14. bobz

bobz Member

Oh this sounds good now I'm waiting for anybody to post results if they had any success in replicating this dolphin flash with google tv.