Quantcast

Plex for Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Hefe, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Hefe

Hefe New Member

I'm a Google TV newbie, (just got a Revue yesterday, but been reading and researching a long time) and one of the main things I want from the "one set top box to rule them all" is a media player that can handle all my NAS stored media files, and has a decent interface. I've never been impressed by the interface of most DLNA server/client combinations.

And then this morning, I read about Plex for Google TV.

I've been checking out the details, and if I'm reading it right, this just about makes me giddy! :)

Looks like I can install the Plex Media Server plugin on my unRaid NAS, and then when the update hits my Review, I can run the Plex client on Google TV. (And other Android devices too.)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I have a question about the Google TV Plex App. I don't use a computer - thus I don't stream local files.

If I install Plex will it improve my WEB streaming (improved codec support)?

Without a computer will Plex still improve my GTV experience?

3. XYinSD

XYinSD New Member

I am wondering if Plex needs to install some sort of tracking file on your NAS in order to seamlessly access your data from there. I had a bad experience with a program called LiBox that my wife installed on her IPAD. It created a 1KB .libox file on every directory in my NAS and I had a hell of a time removing it. But I am excited about any GTV apps for music that will organize better, show album artwork, and be easier to access than the current Media Player for Sony GTV.

4. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

I have 2 8tb Nas's and have never had a problem with plex or Xbmc and was surprised to see it work in GTV 2.0..

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

No.

No.

Without Plex Media Server running on a PC, MAC, or NAS device, the Plex for Android application is totally useless. It is sort of similar to PlayOn and TVersity in that regards.

6. Tommyboy8686

Tommyboy8686 New Member

Hi Guys, new on the forums. Just got my Logitech Revue today, but was browsing Plex's website and saw they just announced and released a new app specifically for the google tv. Can anyone with a Sony TV/Blu-ray check out the app and leave a review. Thanks in advance. Can't post links but its on plex's site if you go there directly.

7. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

It works as described (sorry im not much of a reviewer). You must have a Mac or pc running the plex client which acts as a server for the Google tv app. once the two are paired up you should be able to view anything that plex was able to find during it's media scan.. You can add folders if you don't store your media in the OS's default media folders I.e. music, movies, etc. hope this helps..

8. shortman1984

shortman1984 New Member

I have it..and my movies stall out on me..i have to close it then open it back up again...maybe its where im running a beta of HC on a revue..not sure....the server is on a computer with a 3.4 ghz I7 processor..so i would think that computer is plenty capable of being a media server...

9. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

Sounds like it but your weak link would be your network and or connection to your network..

10. shortman1984

shortman1984 New Member

that could be, it is connect with usb wireless adapter. Thats only way it can connect to internet right now....but i would think wireless wouldnt be to bad.....i have streamed stuff wirelessly before with no problem..and the computer is only about 25 feet from the router...

11. neveroffline

neveroffline New Member

Plex doesn't transcode correct? An i7 3.4 is way more than you need - should work fine on a 486 lol. An i7 @ 3.4 can do it's fair share of transcoding if it needed to in real-time.

Can someone here confirm that the GTV 2.0 Honeycomb update, even if the beta release, supports Samba SMB? How about the codec support on the new HC player? - or do we need to wait for a mobo or rockplayer to be compatible to play these files? I'm surprised at the focus on DLNA/upnp vs SMB and other options as DLNA/upnp is a huge mis-mash of custom hacked versions (PS3, XBOX 360, etc).

People just want to know if they can buy a Google TV and play an avi, flv, mkv, xvid or divx, etc without worrying about codec support. It should just "play" (with sound and video preferably). I get the impression this isn't possible without an Application on the Google TV end that supports this and the basic player cannot- including HD audio like DTS, DD, etc.

12. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

What is the WLAN spec.. I.e. 802.11 A.B,G,N..? and is the USB WLAN dongle USB1 or 2..?

13. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

I agree the i7 can surely handle transcoding on the fly..

Not sure about the SMB support as you stated the focus is on DLNA, which I agree with you is a mess. But I am streaming 1080p M2TS files with 5.1 AC3 or DTS audio from my 8tb Promise NAS over my 802.11N 5ghz network with Jumbo Frames support. To be honest I'd need to confirm DTS as I have a huge library and don't really keep track of what is what codec other than the video stream.

What I have experienced and goggle should have added in a toggle for is the ability to refresh the DLNA media cache manually. But who knows they may have updated the DLNA stack. I can say the prior OS would not play these large high bit rate files at all..

Hope this helps...