Quantcast

Plex App - HLS enabled

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by lschroeder, Feb 3, 2012.

1. lschroeder

lschroeder New Member

Using the google update to 3.2 Android and Plex App update this feature is added. We now must modify the setting to play mkv directly. More info on this as I experiment.

The HLS feature now allows channels. This is great, just starting to explore.

Please discuss your findings here.

2. lschroeder

lschroeder New Member

reserved for my findings

I am logging into my local plex server plus my friend remote plex server. Will report back with more findings.

Googled Plex and Google TV to go to plex forum. An entry there told me how to make my my Blu-ray mkv rips of my movies work again.

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php...le-tv-updates/page__view__findpost__p__237025

The info also enabled my mkv's of Hauppauge HD PVR comcast records to playback smoothly. Will edit to include links, once I get enough posts.

Used GTVBox player to verify that mkv playback was still normal, before changing Plex's client settings to make mkv playback work again. As mentioned earlier the update to Plex broke my previously perfect playback of mkv Blu-ray and Hauppauge HD PVR video files.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  3. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I was just going to post the news and saw you beat me to it :) I just tested it by watching hulu with it and its slick :)

4. Jmprnbr1

Jmprnbr1 New Member

Can you provide a little more detail about how your watching Hulu with plex. New to plex, would love to hear some detail on how to get this working. Thanks

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The Plex Media Server is transcoding Hulu for him. This is similar to TVersity Pro or PlayOn.TV transcoding services.

6. Jmprnbr1

Jmprnbr1 New Member

Playon I always found to be very glitchy and unreliable. Is plex any better for watching Hulu?

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Transcoding requires an above average computer configuration, no matter which service you choose to use. This process requires the system to be able to decode the streams into an uncompressed state then re-encode into a compatible format for its client. It is a fairly hefty process even by today's standards. That's why most people recommend that your hardware surpasses the minimum requirements for transcoding suggested by its developers.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Jmprnbr1

Jmprnbr1 New Member

So can anyone point me to instructions on how to set it up to watch Hulu. I have plex installed and I see channels but not Hulu, although I see it on the pc. Can we view Hulu plugin on google tv plex app?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  9. txbubba

txbubba New Member

I do use PlayOn quite a lot as I'm a Systems/Network Engineer that travels a little or a lot depending on the project's needs.
    The below custom built HTPC system I use as my streaming server works beautiful.
    It streams 1080p blu-ray MKVs to my Sony Google TV box using GTVBox with beautiful fluid quality.
    Also the PlayOn server streams any video file I have in my "My Media" directory either stored on the HTPC or my NAS to my Google TV, my android tablet, and iPhone.

----------system specs I mentioned earlier----------
    My birthday present last year was a new HTPC I designed myself and wife just bought the parts.
    ...but to the important part of this post.

2nd gen i3 2100 ($99 sale price) with a compatible motherboard($120) with many cool features in addition to HDMI on board, and can bitstream the audio ($120)
    8GB RAM (yeah I know I skimped)
    60GB SATA3 SSD to run WIN 7 x64
    SATA2 Blu-ray player drive
    ------
    minus my time putting it all together and configuring everything puts this powerhouse machine in under $500

PM me if you want to know more specific stats on the HTPC

• Like Like x 2
  10. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

If you have the plex server running on your computer and have gotten the plex app from the app store do the following.
    You should see a section that says "Channels"
    Goto to the "More Channels" arrow under the "Channels" category.
    Click the "+" symbol in the top and go to the "Most Popular" category and hulu will be there. Just click to add it.
    To add your username and password to the hulu channel , open up the newly added hulu channel and click "Preferences"
    Hope that gets you started.
    p.s. Hulu works great with a small delay while it downloads the data and transcodes it.

I used to use playon a lot too txbubba, but I personally like plex since it has thumbnails and a dedicated app for google tv.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Jmprnbr1

Jmprnbr1 New Member

Got that far, now getting error while trying to play Hulu media. Support says google tv does not support HLS? Any ideas?

12. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Which GTV device are you using? The Sony GTV devices that have received the new 3.2 update are supposed to now support enhanced HLS from my understanding. The Logitech Revue currently does not support the "enhanced HLS".

13. Jmprnbr1

Jmprnbr1 New Member

Revue.

14. bryancasey

bryancasey New Member

So for some reason when I go to channels and click most popular Hulu is not listed. I have the new update both google and plex. Any reason why I cant find it

15. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Instead of going to "Popular" try going to "Categories" and select "TV" and you should find it there. Hulu may not be as popular when I posted those directions and may no longer showing up on the popular list.

• Like Like x 2
  16. bryancasey

bryancasey New Member

Yeah I found it under Foreign/Restricted. I got it installed but it says video format not supported. Apple Trailers is now working so I no the HLS is working. Guess I will have to wait a bit longer

17. Jmprnbr1

Jmprnbr1 New Member

I got the official word from Logitech today they are not updating the revue to 3.2. They said it's a discontinued product that will get no more updates. I was hoping 3.2 would help with Plex but I might be out of luck?

18. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

Did you write them an email? Or is it from the phone support?

19. xlightwaverx

xlightwaverx New Member

Can you post the official word here in this thread so we all can see?

X

20. PhatboyC

PhatboyC Member

Be careful on the wording. Here is what I see on the logitech forum:
    Any information about an update will be found on our online blog at http://blog.logitech.com. Logitech employees cannot comment on any future updates or releases.

They can't comment on it doesn't mean they won't update. Just like last time it will just take a while since its no longer a priority.

Here is a source saying the Revue will get it.
    Google TV goes Android 3.2, next up Ice Cream Sandwich — Online Video News