Quantcast

Plex and transcoding...

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by andmib, Dec 11, 2011.

1. andmib

andmib New Member

Does anybody know if we can ever expect Plex for Google TV to support transcoding?

2. Hefe

Hefe New Member

Darrin's Blog » Introducing Plex for Google TV

3. andmib

andmib New Member

My issue I've noticed is 3d blu ray rips... tends to stutter over WiFi.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That's because the 3D Blu-Ray requires low latency, high sustained bandwidth for streaming. Typical Blu-Ray will require a contestant speed around 20 to 40Mbps in order to play. Where as some wireless networks implementation are rated to support this, actual throughput will depend on the environmental conditions of the network. In my opinion, it is better to use Home Plug AV Powerline Adapter from either Logitech or Netgear.

On a side note, my friend has notice playback issues with video that have high bit rate requirements. That could actually be due to a networking stack that is not tuned to support it.

5. andmib

andmib New Member

Based on what you said eferz, I hooked up the revue using ethernet. Now I can play 1080p blu-ray rips without any skipping whatsoever.

However, if I try and fast forward or skip past a large portion of the movie, it seems like it gets stuck (or at least takes longer than I'm willing to wait). This might be a Plex-specific issue?

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Excellent. I'm glad it worked out for you. As for the Plex issue, I couldn't say. You'll have to hit them up for advice.