Quantcast

Plex and Surround Sound?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by jmcgeejr, Aug 27, 2012.

1. jmcgeejr

jmcgeejr New Member

So even with the latest update for the costar, I cannot get surround sound to play via plex, no matter what I select or dont select. It wants to always output 2 channel. This goes for media that is DTS, or DD encoded.

2. RandomBlue

RandomBlue New Member

Yeah, the Co-star still doesn't support DTS, not sure about DD. Does your receiver support AC3? If so, enable that option in Plex under advanced settings and make sure DTS is disabled. I believe that will cause your Plex server to transcode the audio to AC3. Make sure you're running the latest version of the Plex Media Server and Plex client.

Also, you might need to go to Settings->Audio and change HDMI Audio Out to Auto on the Co-star.

3. RandomBlue

RandomBlue New Member

FYI, if you get no audio when you make the changes in Plex that I suggested then that means the Co-star still doesn't support AC3 properly either. Another user claimed it does with the current update but others have said it doesn't. I haven't tested it myself since the update so I don't know.

4. jmcgeejr

jmcgeejr New Member

Thanks for the info, I will check those settings but I am 99% sure I have tried that, oh well back to the drawing board looking for that perfect plex device :), I think my next attempt may be the intel Nuc.

5. RandomBlue

RandomBlue New Member

My Sony NSZ-GT1 Google TV blu-ray player works great for Plex. Their next version is due out this fall I believe, though it'll likely be priced $250-$299 like the old one was since the NSZ-GS7 is $200. The NSZ-GS7 might work well also but I haven't messed with it.

I'm hoping Vizio can resolve these issues in the next couple of weeks or mine will be going back for a refund. They need to fix AC3 (and hopefully DTS) and the Tivo remote issues in order for me to keep the box.