Quantcast

Plex and Serviio

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by mrcpacom, Mar 15, 2013.

1. mrcpacom

mrcpacom New Member

How does this actually work? I thought they was two different things but I keep seeing peopel refer to them as the same app or using them together. Can someone explain what it is?
    I have a Vizio Wired and I'm using Plex and my files play but then stutter I haven't tried the new version of plex server just yet that I downloaded this morning but I wanted to find a solution
    to have my videos play with out a hiccup. I can play direct play fine but then there is no audio. So if I stream I get this hiccup so is Serviio going to help? or am I reading things wrong lol

Thanks in advance

2. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

It really depends on your machine you are going to use for transcoding. From what I understand Serviio is capable of transcoding only the audio when needed, which should take less cpu power, and might lessen the stuttering. That being said, if you use Serviio, you will need to use a player other then plex, playpoint should handle it, but if you have ViMu it has more capabilities(indexing, thumbs, etc). Personally I don't use Serviio the one time I did try it, I had a headache of a time getting it to work in my environment, in addition to running plex and playstation media server on the same machine, I couldn't justify having more resources eaten up on that machine. Your mileage may vary.

3. mrcpacom

mrcpacom New Member

my machine is 6 core phenom 2 3.2 ghz 6gb ram 1.5tb space onboard video but i do have a video card I can use but that shouldn't affect transcoding. So if I setup Serviio how would that go just install serviio (uninstall plex and plex gtv app) and then just use ViMu to do see the player for GTV and ViMu will do the thumbnail type like box art for all my videos?

Also can a moderator change my name to Mrcapcom i dunno why i didnt see that typo smh

4. MrCapcom

MrCapcom New Member

Nevermind Just delete teh mrcpacom account

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Darn, I thought you were Mr. CPA com, we had a CPA as a member here, someone that could communicate the new tax laws and the tax implications of the new health care law to help us all out. Instead we have a new member about like the rest of us, capable of typos.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Well you have a LOT more power then I do, Athlon X64 dual core, 3gb mem 5tb storage, those specs I don't see why you should be seeing stuttering with Plex, I would hit the forum over at plexapp to see if you can get some support on that end. As for serviio, no need to uninstall everything I would just shut down the plex media server while testing but basically you will want to install serviio, scan your media, do some searching there are some profiles for the co-star for serviio that will optimize it, then use ViMu to see the server, should just show up as a upnp device, for that matter plex will too, you don't have to use the plex player but it is prettier.

7. MrCapcom

MrCapcom New Member

You think the Plex Player will see serviio? And will that work correctly? I'm not sure whats going on because like I said I hard wired everything no wireless. And ill play a 720p video wiht AC3 audio and it will play like 5 minutes then start stuttering then normalize out till the next 5 or so minutes. If I put Direct Play on its flawless and even looks better. But then again there is no audio.

8. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

I know the plex player will not see serviio, but ViMu will see the plex server, make sense? What do you have your local transcoding set to on the co-star in plex?

9. MrCapcom

MrCapcom New Member

I think i have it set to 20mb local and remote but i dont know whats the regular settings. whatever it was before it was stuttering too and any lower just makes it look bad.