Quantcast

Please help to make Google TV support more accessories

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by entertailion, Feb 11, 2012.

1. entertailion

entertailion New Member

Currently the Google TV devices only support a limited number of USB accessories. We have been trying for a while now to figure out how to get other devices to work over USB but have not had much success. We are particularly interested in various existing home automation devices. We would like to add home control support to Able Remote (Able Remote App), but cannot move forward with this until Google adds the necessary drivers and API’s so that developers can use those in their apps. We have experimented with some solutions like Arduino, but it requires significant technical expertise and isn’t really good for most consumers. We want to have a plug-and-play solution.

The Google TV team has an issue tracker that can be used to file bugs and feature requests. We have created two issues, numbered 16 and 17, which relate to having better support for accessories. Google looks at how many folks star the issues to prioritize them for their product.

So please, star items 16 and 17 so that it gets the Google TV teams attention: Issues - googletv-issues - Google TV Issue Tracker - Google Project Hosting

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

According to this post/thread you should already have the necessary tools in place to control any USB device.

So, I'm going to veto those requests unless you port Able to an iOS app. :p

In the mean time, have you considered working with MiCasaVerde whom has a TCP/IP to Z-WAVE bridge already on the market?

3. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

I tried to connect webcamera with built-in microphone. GTV detected microphone as an USB-audio device, created all necessary /dev linux device files... And that's all. You can not access it in any way. ;) Java API didn't see this device at all.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

So... are you admitting that you were wrong from the original statement of the other thread?

5. entertailion

entertailion New Member

We are looking for a solution where you can plug in a USB accessory directly into the Google TV device. We have tried the USB host API and it definitely does NOT give access for Android apps.

6. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

No.
    I've just connected Huawei 3G modem, it was detected by Java API.
    I am able to get interfaces of the device and even connect to a device using sample code from here: USB Host | Android Developers
    However, I didn't try to communicate with it as I don't know what to send. But this definitely should work (if Google didn't break something on the way, of course).

As I understood, if Android system thinks that it can handle device itself like USB Mass Storage or USB audio devices, it uses it itself and do not expose to Java API. Other devices are visible.

PS: Please, do not quote my words as Absolute Truth. It is just my thoughts. :)

7. entertailion

entertailion New Member

Officially, Google TV supports a very limited number of USB HID and mass storage devices and some other USB devices might be detected. But actually communicating with most devices, in particular devices that act like serial devices does not work. We have confirmation from Google that they are aware of the issue. But we need to motivate them to make the necessary changes so that many more accessories can be used with the Google TV devices.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  8. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

So, It's broken. :)
    Maybe you should post it as a bug?
    Anyways, I doubt that even if they fix something, it will be avaliable for the Revue.

9. entertailion

entertailion New Member

Whether they are bugs or not, these are missing features that are even available on other 3.1 Android mobile devices. If we don't motivate Google to better support accessories, it won't happen for Revue or any other devices coming.

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That's how I have come to understand things related to the Dalvik VM and various USB devices. So, when I was explaining this to Boom4x4 in another thread, mcd2000 intervened. Since he is an actual developer like you, I choose to respect his input on the matter and so, the conversation went on like this...

At this point, I'm rather quite confused like a kid trying to understand the conflicting statements from his parents. One side is saying one thing while the other is saying the contrary. I'd really like to believe both of you but that's not really possible in this case. And the documentation is inconclusive to support or dispute what either of you are implying. So, I'm going to err on the side of caution and believe that we're all bat guano crazy and nobody really understands WTF Google was thinking in their USB implementation for Google TV.

It is difficult not to when had gone out of your way to contradict my explanation. As an Android Developer I have to place a little faith in your input, since you have a working knowledge and practical implementation whereas mine is based on theory and documentation.

11. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

Actually, there are no conflicting statements. :)
    I said that USB-Host API exists in GTV and detects some devices.
    entertailion said, that communication usually do not work. I didn't try communicating myself (only tried device discovery), so I can not comment on this.
    It is like HLS on GTV 3.1. It is there, but doesn't work correct.
    I can name couple of other things that SHOULD work according to the docs, but they do not on GTV.

12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I see. You're saying that the USB-Host API exists in the Android OS could be used theoretically; however, it in practical terms it cannot be used on Google TV to actually control a toaster or the Z-Wave dongle which entertailion refers to in his original post. Ipso facto, my original statement to Boom4x4 was correct.