Quantcast

Please explain google TV and how it works with cable box to the uninitiated

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by radman2020, May 17, 2013.

1. radman2020

radman2020 New Member

I cannot find this anywhere. I am looking at a LG TV with google tv built in.

Will it allow me to search for shows playing on my fios, click on them and go there? How does it do this. Does it use an IR Blaster, some sort of app, the hdmi? Does it do all channels? DOes it do On Demand?

It is so confusing and there is nothing out there that explains how this all works.

Thank you.

2. conq

conq New Member

I can't speak about the LG television with cable but I have a Vizio Co-star which is a little box that sits between the cable box and the television. During the Google TV setup I needed to do the following:

1) Specify my TV's model - so that the remote control that comes with the Co-star will be programmed automatically to work as my TV's remote control (note this isn't related to the cable box at this time and assuming the LG television is integrated with Google TV I'd assume this step is unnecessary.)

2) Specify my cable provider and location - so that it knows what channel listings it will use (the Primetime app that Google TV comes with is a nice TV listing service that shows you what shows are currently on, what shows will be on soon and it breaks them down by type, movie/drama/comedy... plus it has search capability for the listings.

3) Specify the cable box model that you're using - this is the magic for making the Google TV actually be able to switch the channel that's being shown on the television. By specifying the model of the cable box that you're using you're programming the correct IR signals that will be sent to the cable box. On the Vizio Co-star the remote (which uses bluetooth) also contains a regular IR emitter - so for the Co-star to actually be able to change the channel the Co-star's remote needs to be pointing at the cable box. This might differ between implementations. Some Google TV's have a cable from the Google TV unit itself that you somehow point at or stick to the cable box. I don't know if others are somehow cable of being controlled via the HDMI cable (using RCP?) or some other mechanism.

It actually took me quite a while to get the correct channels listing for my area (this will the most annoying part of the setup.) There were so many slightly different choices from my cable provider (Comcast) that I didn't know which to select. I almost gave up and returned the unit because I didn't think Google TV know about my particular channel listing. But I gave it another shot the next day and did actually get the correct listings configured.

3. radman2020

radman2020 New Member

thanks... I get it.. The cable box is manipulated by the ir blaster. Amazing I couldn't find that out there on the net. It isn't explained on the google tv page.

What about on demand? How does it navigate the very complex menus?

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

You will be using the LG Google TV remote to navigate the menus and assuming the cable box used is supported by the LG Google TV, it won't be much different than using the cable box remote. I can't say how well it will work but if you can provide the cable company name and cable box manufacturer and model, someone here may be using the same thing and be able to help. I can say I am not aware of anything I can't do with TiVo using Google TV with the Google TV controller but I don't know much about other boxes since I have no first hand experience.

5. conq

conq New Member

Maybe not completely relevant because it's not the LG television but here's a little video of me navigating OnDemand and the cable guide with the Co-star's remote ( I'm new to the forum so I can't enter a link, so you'll need to add the http bit to the front of this: youtu.be/TvL6G6ksKs0 ). I should also point out that Google TV is kind of an overlay to the tv source, (I didn't show it) my cable remote still works so I could use that if I wanted instead of the Co-stars remote for navigating the cable guide and OnDemand - but if I want to do Google TV specific things, like open the Amazon/Youtube/Primetime apps I need to use the Co-star's remote. I still use OnDemand but I rarely use the cable guide as I configured my favourite channels with Primetime and use that instead. One function I don't know how to do with the Co-stars remote is the 'fav' button on the cable remote - but that's okay as Primetime has a better way of setting up favourite channels.