Quantcast

Playpoint as dlna _server_?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by lesmikesell, Jul 7, 2013.

1. lesmikesell

lesmikesell New Member

Is there any good documentation for the Playpoint app that covers all of its capabilities? I didn't realize it acted as a DLNA server as well as a client until recently when I started using WoW! cable's Utra Tv system and 'Playpoint USB' showed up on it as a media server. And it actually works pretty well with a large NTFS-formatted USB drive holding content, but now I'd like to know more about what it can do. For example, it can also play to an app on an ipad that doesn't handle AC3 audio. Is there a way to tell it to send the AAC tracks instead to the ipad client?

• Like Like x 2
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I noticed this recently as well but I can't answer any questions regarding its capabilities or how to find information about setup and use. The aVia app also can turn Google TV into a server, I noticed settings for that purpose but haven't figured out much about it either although documentation is better for aVia. I think there are several other apps in the Play Store as well and I decided just to wait for the new Android operating system before deciding on which app to use, things might change a little after the boxes are running 4.2.2.

A thread covering the various options and preferences for DLNA server will be a good idea to open discussion and decide which apps to use. For me, playing files from one Google TV box with another might be of some value. I do think with the limited resources these devices have, the most efficient app in terms of resource management might best.

3. lesmikesell

lesmikesell New Member

It seems perfectly capable of serving blu-ray quality streams at least as long as there is no transcoding involved. And in my case it isn't going to another google TV - my cable service supplies a rebranded Arris Moxi as their whole-home DVR solution and the thing attached to each tv is a media player that has a dlna option as well as the tv/dvr access. But even if each device could play from a local usb copy there are advantages to storing things centrally, and I was somewhat surprised that box can handle large NTFS drives. Is there an app to provide samba write access to the usb drive from a computer to manage files without having to move the drive around?

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't think so but again, there are going to be changes to media players and server apps so I am not going to bother to figure any of this out until after the update. The developer of the ViMu app has mentioned there will be changes taking advantage of Jelly Bean and any time spent setting this up and making decisions now probably won't be to good advantage, things are going to be somewhat different pretty soon unless I miss my guess.

Ultimately I think using Google TV as client and a PC as server will remain the best option and ViMu will likely continue to be the best media player app to use with Google TV as client.

5. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

PlayPoint DLNA Media Player works like a charm with the new Serviio Server Console, plays just all video formats, also works with external storage drives very well ... You can get more info over at the Serviio forum on transcoding http://forum.serviio.org/ ...!

If anybody would like to experiment with the Vizio Co-Star's PlayPoint.apk (DLNA Media Player) on other GTV devices, you can get the APK HERE http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...k-dlna-media-player-upscale-codec-packed.html ... I extracted the PlayPoint.apk from the Vizio Co-Star v5.3.0 Google TV 3 OS ....

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  6. lesmikesell

lesmikesell New Member

The interesting thing here is that I had been using serviio with the content on an external drive, but had a problem on the PC running as a server and moved the drive to the google tv USB. And my other devices play just as well from there as from serviio although the presentation and navigation is a bit different. I just wish there were some real documentation for the app.

7. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Just follow the above link over to the Serviio forum, ask questions ....

8. lesmikesell

lesmikesell New Member

Ummm, did you read what I wrote? My PC has a problem, so serviio is out of the picture. And it turns out to be unnecessary since playpoint works great as a server. I just wish I could find documentation for the best way to use it.

9. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

I'm using Serviio on my PC without issues ...! I even added the above Serviio Console for my own private Vizio Co-Star Serviio Console setup ... The key to Serviio is mapping your media content to where you have it stored on PC ... To me Serviio eaiser to map media content than Plex ...

10. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

I have no issues using PlayPoint DLNA media player as a server or using it with to work other servers on my network ... Some people say they cannot get the PlayPoint Sever to work with Plex ... I have no problems with PlayPoint and Plex working together ...

11. lesmikesell

lesmikesell New Member

It's not a matter of 'issues' with playpoint as a server, but more about details. For example, given a media file with both AC3 and AAC audio tracks, how can I get it to send just the aac tracks to an ipad client? And please don't recommend serviio for that task - it never sends anything except the 1st track under any circumstances and if it transcodes you lose the ability to position in the file.

12. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

That I don't know if that's even possible with PlayPoint DLNA Media Player ...!