Quantcast

PlayOn.Tv

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by jdillinger, Feb 24, 2013.

1. jdillinger

jdillinger New Member

Any users have experience with PlayOn.Tv. I'm thinking about getting it so any advice or reviews would be really helpful. I have a Vizio Co-Star and plan to be using it withe the Co-Star. Thank you all.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I use both PlayOn and PLayLater and like the software really well, it is an important piece of my cord cutting solution. It works well with Google TV and you can get a free trial if you haven't tried it previously. It is more expensive than the competition and you might be able to find something free that meets your needs.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jdillinger

jdillinger New Member

Hey Chris, thanks for chiming in. I just have a few questions for you.

1) What is the competition?
    2) What are the specs of your computer in which you're running PlayOn.

Many thanks!

4. saeba

saeba Active Member

I've become a big fan of PlayLater (companion to PlayOn). I use it to record free Hulu content so I can then play it back later and fast forward through commercials (just like with a DVR). I really hated sitting through the Hulu commercials.

I've got a couple of programs set as Hulu "favorites". When a new episode is available, Hulu is set to add it to my "queue" and send me an email. I then bring up PlayLater and record it. Cool technology!

I haven't found anything else that works as well with Hulu.

5. ChrisG8

The competition includes all of the DLNA servers, Plex, TVersity, Serviio, etc. The computer I use it with is old, Intel Core Duo 2.0GHz, about the minimum that would work. Keep in mind, PlayOn is standard definition only, of course so is Hulu and most all of the streaming sites I use PlayOn and PlayLater with so the processing requirements are not great.

6. amartin

amartin New Member

I have playlater, but the streams that it records are too much for the co star to play back. The more I use the co star, the worse it is.

I'm able to play the streams on my two year old android tablet, but not on the six month old co star. The Marvell chipset used must be pretty weak.

Sometimes I want to pick up the co star and throw it as hard as I can against a brick wall. If it didn't play netflix, I'd do it.

7. ChrisG8

Have you tried using MPEG-4 recording with PlayLater rather than PLV?

8. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

• Like Like x 2
  9. ChrisG8

I think the Marvell Armada 1500 is really a good chip well suited for the purpose and Marvell has a great track record for good video processing with their chips. Highly rated Oppo Blu-ray players, the BDP-93, BDP-95, BDP-103, and BDP-105 all use Marvell Qdeo. In my opinion the issues with the Co-Star are unrelated to the chip used.

I use a Roku LT 2450X with a Broadcom BCM2835 400 MHz processor for PlayOn primarily and it works really well, a very modest chip is used with that inexpensive player and somehow it does a good job with PlayOn/PlayLater. I am going to compare performance to my Google TV boxes and see what I think but I know the Google TV processor is far superior.

10. jdillinger

jdillinger New Member

I'm totally new to this so I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions.

1) What do you use now instead of PlayOn?

2) What exactly do the scripts do?

Thank you for all your help.

11. horrorshow83

horrorshow83 New Member

Is PlayOn live streaming from all of those channels?

12. ChrisG8

No, most are sites with a selection of videos. I use PlayOn for Hulu most often which does have a lot of recent programs from the networks, often programs that were live within the last week. There are some live TV channels but I haven't found anything worth using. I use an antenna on the roof for local channels primarily but even then I record and skip commercials. Since Hulu blocks Google TV, PlayOn has been very useful and PlayLater allows recording Hulu and skipping commercials.

• Like Like x 2
  13. horrorshow83

horrorshow83 New Member

I assume then that Hulu Plus streams through it, as well?

Either way. Good workaround channels blocking GTV. The $45 lifetime and only $15 more for PlayLater may be worth it.

14. ChrisG8

Yes, Hulu Plus does work but requires a paid subscription which I assume you know but others might not. I like Hulu Plus because of the Criterion Collection but after I watched the movies I wanted to see from that collection, I find the free Hulu is a much better deal. I need to compare using Google TV with PlayOn to Roku with PlayOn. I think I will find like most things both platforms do, Roku will do PlayOn better. As I always mention when I point that out, Google TV does a lot of things Roku doesn't do so it is far and away my favorite but I use both often.

15. saeba

saeba Active Member

Doesn't Hulu Plus also provide higher resolution playback? I haven't tried that with PlayOn and PlayLater - does it provide for better video?

16. ChrisG8

Yes, some Hulu Plus programming is HD, 720p and I don't know what percentage is HD. When I recently had Hulu Plus, I used Roku which can play Hulu Plus in HD but PlayOn is SD only and any difference in picture quality between Hulu and Hulu Plus using PlayOn will not be much if even noticeable. I do think the free Hulu quality is pretty good and for the price, it is a really good service.

17. ChrisG8

I can't even get PlayOn to work with Google TV today. Going to g.playon.tv doesn't find a PlayOn PC on my network but the Roku boxes right beside Google TV, find it and prepare the video for streaming. The proper Roku app for PlayOn is definitely an improvement over the Google TV web page app. If someone else can try Google TV with PlayOn and see if it works for them, I will know if I need to do some trouble shooting. With Google TV set to default browser, go to g.playon.tv and it should find the PlayOn server but for me, at least right now, it isn't working. Since Roku added a PlayOn channel, I have mostly used Roku with PlayOn so I could have had this issue for a while without noticing it.

Until further notice, I will rescind my recommendation for PlayOn with Google TV, pending further investigation.

18. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

I now use Google Tv (Sony NSZ-GT1 & NSZ-GS7) for media consumption. Most of it via the Chrome browser for Internet streams & the ViMu app for local media files. There are also many apps that stream content, such as Netflix, (now) Vudu & Amazon VOD, TV Portal, 1Channel, Spot Light links to Crackle and Amazon VOD, etc. There are also a huge amount of links in the 'Project Free TV' thread here in these forums.

The PlayOn Plugins & Scripts allow third party developers to add content streaming 'channels' that are not already pre-loaded by PlayOn. Its similar to way channels are added to Roku, but without the limitation of who can add the channel plugins/scripts. Some plugins/scripts may have a cost associated with it as it provides premium movies/ Adult content, etc. Also I believe all content is in Standard definition.

Hope that helps

19. amartin

amartin New Member

That's what I was using. I haven't been able to find what the limitations of the Marvell chip are, but the mp4's appear to be 2500 Kbps, with Baseline L3.0. It might be that marvell chips can't decode level 3.0 reference frames. I don't know if there's a way to limit the playlater app to reduce this.

20. ChrisG8

I can't imagine the Marvell chip is limited to 2500 Kbps MP4 but it would worth finding that information. I just tried Google TV for the first time since that time it wouldn't work, immediately found the server and appears to be working fine but I will spend more time with it when I want to watch something using PlayOn in a day or two.