Quantcast

PlayON/Plex Confusion

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by sleepraider, Jul 11, 2013.

1. sleepraider

sleepraider New Member

Gosh, guys.. sorry if this is a dumb newbie thread..
    I have both servers installed on my computer, and plex installed on my GTV (not playon yet, apparently their app is broken and not currently in the play store). I'm currently patiently waiting for the PlayOn app, and thinking to myself maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I read somewhere (or maybe dreamed) that PlayOn's UI was so awful and Plex's was so great that one solution someone was using was to run everything on their GTV through the Plex app. I cannot find that info now, and all other info indeed points to these two things as being completely seperate- two servers- two clients. So, am I mistaken? If so, how do you set this up? If not, is there a different workaround? PlayOn's UI (to me) looks like a 13 yo programmed it, and is not intuitive at all.

Finally, what do you use Plex for, and what do you use PlayOn for, if you have both since there seems to be quite a bit of overlap.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The ViMu media player app makes a good PlayOn client. PlayOn has quite a number of streaming sources accessible, including some that block Google TV direct access, and I don't think Plex provides that. Hulu works great with PlayOn and PlayLater in my experience and that is my primary use for PlayOn and PlayLater. I have purchased the Plex app but waiting for a PC upgrade before setting it up and using it but I believe it will be used primarily for accessing local files, not internet streaming sites. Plex can handle HD, while PlayOn is SD but Hulu is SD so that isn't an issue for my use of the server.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

In the big thread about HBOGO not working on GTV - in post #25 the forum member "Perovskite" mentions that he was unable to sign-in to HBOGO with PlayOn - but he was able to get HBOGO to work on GTV with the Plex HBOGO plug-in. Here is a link to that thread:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/.../7981-does-hbo-go-still-work-google-tv-3.html

I have not personally tried this as I don't subscribe to HBOGO. I believe some others mentioned that they use PlayOn with GTV for HBOGO. So I'm not really sure how well PlayOn works for HBOGO with Google TV.

4. sleepraider

sleepraider New Member

Thanks guys. I dont have any (current) interest in HBOgo, so that's moot for me. However, I'll try ViMu for PlayOn. Didnt realize that playon was SD- bummer.. but a bummer I suppose I can live with, considering I cant demand everything in HD for free.

Catfish, thanks for responding. I noticed you have 6k out of 50k of the total posts on this site. 12%. Impressive.