Quantcast

PlayOn Now Supports HD

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Nov 25, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  2. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

They want $5 from me, and say they need a quad core CPU.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Go here to see if your CPU can handle HD, over 2300 is recommended.

PassMark - CPU Benchmarks - List of Benchmarked CPUs

I just purchased the HD update to my PlayOn/PlayLater license for $7.99, seems fair to me. I don't know how the free Google TV version of PlayOn will be handled if users want to upgrade to HD. I am running the free version on one PC and the full paid license on another PC.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Also I recall reading on another thread that the free GTV Playon version doesn't work with the GTV devices on Jellybean - and Playon said they don't intend on offering a free version for GTV Jellybean devices.

Playon said they consider GTV devices on the Jellybean OS an "Android" device and no longer a GTV device. That was PlayOn's response anyway.

*(Playon will work with GTV Jellybean OS devices - it's just not free as it is for GTV Honeycomb OS devices).

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  5. ChrisG8

I installed the HD update, changed the settings to allow HD and MAX but I am not yet getting HD with PlayOn, at least through Netflix testing the Example Short 23.976 with embedded bandwidth metering. After a couple of minutes, I was at 720x480 and 1750Kbps. Going directly through the Sony NSZ-GT1 Google TV Netflix app the same video hits 5800Kbps and 1920x1080 within 30 seconds.

I will play with the settings some more but I sure can't see what I am doing wrong.

6. jonw747

The Latest PlayOn app will actually tell you. Under the general tab in the settings, there was a greyed out check box on my display for enabling HD that hinted that my CPU was too slow. Otherwise there's supposed to be an option to upgrade.

You might also try playing that Netflix test clip using a DLNA client rather than the PlayOn App (if that's what you tried).

7. ChrisG8

I also tried it with Roku using the Roku PlayOn channel, same result 720x480 and 1750kbps. I am making a recording now using PlayLater with HD enabled but I don't think that will be any different, it is an 11 minute video. As far as the greyed out HD option, all I had to do was pay for the HD update and it allowed me to check it.

8. ChrisG8

After 11 minutes, the PlayLater recording was still at 720x480 and 1750kbps. If this is working, it should hit 1280x720 and probably 3000kbps, since that is what my Roku LT 720p box will hit with its Netflix app.

9. ChrisG8

I accessed the PlayOn Netflix channel with Plex, same results, no 720p. I checked the NSZ-GT1 Netflix app and it hit 1080p and 5800kbps quickly so something other than Netfix or router issues is preventing Netflix 720p through PlayOn. I am going to the PlayOn forums to ask what the cause might be.

10. ChrisG8

Nothing at the PlayOn site I could find to help but I started a thread with the question.

11. ChrisG8

Still no luck here. I tried ethernet to the PC running the PlayOn server to see if that helps, it didn't make any difference. If I play the Netflix Example Short 23.976 with bandwidth metering through PlayOn, it tops out at 720x480, period. I would be interested in seeing if anybody else can get PlayOn HD to pass that test. I tried two PlayLater recordings of Amazon HD, both failed. It may be the beta testers are still under an NDA and can't comment at the PlayOn Forums but so far, nobody there has offered anything. So far, I can't prove this new upgrade to HD works. I really don't care much about Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, or Hulu Plus with PlayOn, I have media players with native apps to handle those services, I chose Netflix to test because of the sample video.

If someone knows of a good site with HD streaming available through PlayOn, I would like to test it. I don't have a Hulu Plus account to test that service.

12. saeba

saeba Active Member

I was having trouble here too.... I was trying to record HuluPlus via PlayLater... but the recordings were the same resolution as before. I realized I hadn't rebooted my PC since I'd upgraded PlayLater/PlayOn, so I tried that. Retrying the PlayLater recording, it appears that the file size is twice the prior size (1.75gb vs 900mb). So I'm hoping I have success!

I have HD enabled and Maximum video quality set to Max. Also set playback to HD on my HuluPlus account.

I'll post an update in an hour or so when the recording completes.

Here's the pre-HD file specs:

Duration : 53mn 21s
    Bit rate : 2 500 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 404 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Minimum frame rate : 27.548 fps
    Maximum frame rate : 29.970 fps

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  13. saeba

saeba Active Member

After rebooting the PC ... HD (720p)!!!

Duration : 52mn 52s
    Bit rate : 5 000 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Minimum frame rate : 27.548 fps
    Maximum frame rate : 29.970 fps

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  14. jonw747

My server PC isn't supposed to be fast enough (Dual Core), so I haven't played with it.

15. ChrisG8

Dual core won't matter as long as you use it dedicated to the PlayOn server, nothing else running but processing speed sure will. I don't know what else you might be able to do simultaneously, probably not much, assuming the processor speed is adequate. What does the above CPU Benchmark site indicate as your score?

16. ChrisG8

My recording just completed, I also got a file indicated as 720p, 3.9GB, this time but still can't get the Netflix test video to play at 720p through PlayOn. It is good news PlayLater appears to be recording at 720p, at least some of the time. My first two attempts failed to record. Previous recordings of a similar movie length video were about half that size.

17. saeba

saeba Active Member

By the way... not sure why this was posted to the "Off-Topic Discussion". It would seem to be very relevant to many of us. I know I rely on PlayOn/PlayLater to help make my GTV systems in to more complete media solutions :)!

18. jonw747

My CPU is rated 1492 according to that list, well short of the 2400 target.

19. ChrisG8

Yes, I am sure that is a no go. My CPU at 3200 isn't exactly a powerhouse for this purpose, it works but I believe a better processor would work better. Saeba has a PC with processor that is great for PlayOn/PlayLater.

20. ChrisG8

I like PlayOn/PlayLater a lot also and I have found that Google TV is the best client I have used so it probably should be posted in the Google TV general forum since it works with all Google TV models. Adding HD is a nice upgrade to the service.