Quantcast

PlayOn Now free For Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, May 8, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  2. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Seems like there is only one version of PlayOn in the Play store and so it seems it could be free for any Android device.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The PlayOn client app in the PlayStore is free. The big news here is the server to be installed on a PC is free (for a limited time). The wording makes me believe that only Google TV can access the "free" server. I have a paid lifetime PlayOn license installed on a PC and just installed the PlayOn client app on a Sony NSZ-GT1, it works really well, much better than the PlayOn web client I originally used. I think I still like the Vimu player better but I will give the Play Store app a chance.

I am going to install the free PlayOn server on another computer in the house and see how it works compared to my paid server.

4. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

I installed the Server software on PC, but it still requires Registration information (name & Key)

5. ChrisG8

I installed the server on another PC, it does request the name and key but PlayOn indicates just to leave the license blank and the Google TV client can access it. Just for fun, I tried to access the free PlayOn server without license using a Roku, I got as far as starting to play a movie, it wouldn't play and I got a message to purchase a license. Now I will try to play some Hulu programs using Google TV and the free server.

6. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

I tried playing a movie on Hulu but got a message to purchase a license. Well this isn't looking good.

7. ChrisG8

I think Hulu requires logging in. Within PlayOn settings on your PC, try to add the user name and password to the Hulu channel and see if that works. I don't know whether free for a limited time means the server is free for a limited time but once installed can be used forever or if it means the free server will only work for a limited time. If it does work, expect a nag screen request for buying a license everytime it is used, probably 15 to 30 seconds. Media Mall was very specific, it should work for free with Google TV.

8. ChrisG8

The free PlayOn server does work with Google TV, I ddi set it up, put in Hulu name and password and Google TV could access content on Hulu. I tried Roku again and could not play content from Hulu using the free PlayOn server. I can play Hulu content from Roku using my paid license PlayOn server on another computer so this really appears to be big plus (at least for a limited time) for Google TV.

• Like Like x 2
  9. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

10. ChrisG8

The ViMu player works with the free PlayOn server. I still can't tell whether the limited time offer means, it will work for a limited time or means it can be acquired free for a limited time but once acquired will work forever. If it will work forever, I don't know whether that means will be updated the same as a paid license server. If someone knows the answers, that would be good information. If it will only work for a limited time, it may not be worth setting up for those that aren't going to buy a license.

11. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

wow, this play on stuff is pretty awful as far as Picture quality goes, and the interface is a fair bit clumsy and just not very smooth.. nope i think i will stick with xbmc.. heck my plex media server a much nicer picture... it may give you hulu but man... the picture looks like my old sony CRT set... and you cant really adjust anything.. you gets what you gets.... nope.. it may be free for now... but thats about as much as i would ever pay for it... i guess i got spoiled with nice 720 and 1080p,,,

12. ChrisG8

Hulu is only standard definition and so is PlayOn but if you get something that is pretty awful for standard definition streaming, you are doing something wrong. I use PlayOn and Hulu often, it is certainly as good as Plex or any other server I have seen for Hulu in terms of quality. No, it isn't HD but there is no free legal streaming source for HD streaming for much of what Hulu offers, I like legal and free and can live with SD.

13. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

I contacted MediaMall Support and they acknowledged that there was a problem with the Server software asking to purchase License. They later emailed me back again with a link to an updated (fixed) version of the server software. I haven't tried it yet as I some other issue with the PC that I need to fix first.

Link to fixed version -> www.playon.tv/support/update

14. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

oh yes the ole, i will only do the legal and right thing. we are talking about the freaking cable company.,. that same company that raised rates ever other month because they dont had any reglation saying that its not ok to screw the consumer to the wall, i pay my cable bill, but i do so in full protest of the horrid fee and awfull outdated profit model that they force on the consumer.. if it means its ilegal to do so.. under a graf and stilted regime thats fine with me brother... technology just makes the their profit model more and more obsolete.. i pay for all the things i watch and if i can get a better viewing experience by going underground to watch those same shows.. im going to do that.. they have gotten their pound of flesh... and i fully believe that the play on server is just a very rudimentary form of plex or xbmc... playon is where plex was 3 years ago... its just a lack luster experience... they need to work on the interface and the front end.... and it may be SD but the render is so bad it looks like vga 320... and there seems to be no search function.... but even so.,.. the folks at plex and xbmc are coding circles around this Pay Us... server.. there is just too much good decoding technology to settle for some outdated decode of SD content that seems to be at lest one generation down from original signal.. i will see if i can find some tears to shed for comcast and universal because they are loosing out on a billion--- th of their due profits because i choose to watch northern exposure on xbmc.. but i really dont feel bad at all...

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  15. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

16. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

I found that the third-party plugins & scripts do not work with this free version.

17. PlayOnTV

PlayOnTV New Member

Hi this is the PlayOn Team. Third party plugins should work just fine with this free version. This is 100% identical to the paid version of PlayOn. The only difference is that we've made it free for Google TV customers...that's it. Enjoy.

• Like Like x 2
  18. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Thanks for clarifying that it should work, but I downloaded several third-party scripts from PlayOn Scripts :: Home :: PlayOn Scripts and PlayOn Plugins and they all gave showed screen that says Premium License is required. I'll give it another try again tonight and confirm.