Quantcast

playon freezing

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by lotus, Dec 30, 2011.

1. lotus

lotus New Member

Hi
    I was going to post today how happy I am with the revue and how everything was working great...Must've been a curse- I had the free trial of playon which worked great, my trial period ran out so I decided to purchase a license, now ANYTHING on playon freezes every minute or so. Tried hulu, tbs, cbs, netflix, all the same problem. I have a seperate account with netflix, that works flawlessly. I can't figure this out, I didn't change a thing, can't see how just inputting a license # would change anything, unless they use different software from the one used for the trial?? Any ideas? Emailed playon, no response so far. Thanks everyone, and HAPPYNEW YEAR!

Barbara

2. HDCowboy

HDCowboy New Member

What version do you have installed on your PC? I updated last night to the latest ver 3.4.30.2697 though I've never experienced any freezing problems. Then again I primarily use it on my HTPC hooked up in the living room and not my Google TV in the bedroom. I'll give it a shot later and see if I have any freezing problems there.

UPDATE: Played with it this morning and didn't notice any freezing, if your talking about a video freezing & buffering most likely that will be due to your internet connection speed or that of the server who's delivering it, I dont know what you could do to stop that other than to pause the video for a bit and let it catch up. On my HTPC I have a sort of DVR program ( ie Tubecore) installed that lets me adjust the buffer size of the videos before they begin to play which solves all those kind of issues. Try loading the same videos on your PC directly from their website and see if you have the same issues there, regardless I highly doubt that it would be due to the fact you recently registered it.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  3. lotus

lotus New Member

Well, This is getting frustrating. PlayOn finally got back to me, they think it's my security software because I had a lot of blank areas in the log I sent them, areas where info should usually be, they said, which can be indicative of AV software conflicts. NOT! I disabled my AV software, (avg) and it made no difference. I didn't think it would, because my free trial ran flawlessly (with the AV software running) Problems only started after entering my license key. In addition, now there is another problem- when I can run playon for any length of time, it suddenly stops and reverts back to the episode menu (tv shows) I tried this 4 times, each time it stopped at a random time (5-10 min. into the show) but always reverted back to the same place. What on earth could be going on? It figures this would happen after I paid for the program.

Barbara

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I hate to ask but have you tried uninstalling the software and re-starting from scratch? It could be a corrupted file that's causing the problem.

5. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

If uninstalling the software and restarting from scratch does not help, I found that restarting the server with the device you are using playon on usually works. In example if your using it on google tv, Open up g.playon.tv with your webbrowser and scroll down until you find a choice called "Playon Info"

Select "Playon Info" then choose "Server Options" and choose "Restart Playon" - This usally will fix most errors by turning off the server and restarting it. It usually takes a minute or two to restart the server and you may lose connection to playon while it shuts down and restarts.

6. lotus

lotus New Member

ok, I'm just about ready to throw in the towel on this playon. I don't know what else to do, I'm not a techie type person, I'm afraid the more I fool with this the more things I could mess up! I have uninstalled and reinstalled the playon software, upgraded to the latest version, disabled my AV software and then completely uninstalled it, rebooted my router and my revue. Still freezing and crashing. If I press the pause button and leave it paused for 15 min. or so, it usually is ok (but poor video) for a while. Today I miracuously watched a half hour tv show, but when it was over the little spinning thingy never stopped, actually there was no way to do anything in playon (other functions were ok) only a reboot of the revue would let me back in. This was the latest response from the playon tech guy (very responsive BTW)
    Thank you for sending this in. We are happy to help :)
    It appears there may be an issue with the network connection between the GoogleTV and your router. The videos are being processed quickly enough on your PC but date is being passed quite a bit more slowly between the PC and the GoogleTV.

OK. I understand the connection might be somewhat unreliable, but again (and I'm sorry if I'm starting to sound like a broken record) but why did playon work flawlessly for the 14 day trial? Still had the same connection and everything. I don't get it. Oh and Trallyus- there is no option in g.playon.tv called playon info. Just takes me to the site where it sees my playon connection.
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

Barbara
    How is the GoogleTV connected to your network?
    Thank you for contacting PlayOn

7. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Lotus,
    there is too an option but you need to use those arrows at the bottom of the google tv playon menu to scroll down the list to see them. Else other wise all you'll see is your top list of choices. The Playon Info menu is found by using the down arrow a few times to look at the other channel choices. It will have an icon with a multi colored question mark and say playon info. To use the arrows you need to click them using the virtual mouse I think to scroll through your list of channels.

Try playing with it when you have g.playon.tv open and mess with the down arrows on the screen until you find it.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  9. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Thanks for posting the Screen shot eferez .

• Like Like x 2
  10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome, trallyuus. Glad to have help.

11. lotus

lotus New Member

Thank you trallyus and eferz. I finally found it. Unfortunately, resetting the playon server didn't help:( I do appreciate all your help, at least I'm learning about other stuff. I'll keep trying, as long as I can count on you for advice, please?
    Worst comes to worst, my husband wants to hook up a laptop to the tv (a million more questions then:) he really likes the programming on hulu. I could move the revue to the bedroom, I mostly wanted it for it's web capabilities and netflix streaming. Then I wouldn't have to go through the STB, would I? I don't care about it controlling my tv.Barbara

12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I think this forum will offer advice whether you want it or not. LOL

That's always an option. Though going back to your predicament. Since this is technically a Flash related issue, I'd recommend trying the latest recommendation under this thread, "Re: Official - Flash sites/channels/apps having tr... - Page 11 - Logitech Forums"

Also, I was wondering if the issue of upgrading to the full version was coincidental. Maybe at the same time there were network changes or some other radio interference introduced into or near your environment. If you had a way to test Google TV with an Ethernet cable instead of using Wireless Networking that would give us with a little more to go on. If you could find away to demonstrate whether or not hardwired vs wireless gave you better performance, then it is possible that using a HomeAV Powerline Network kits will allow you to avoid latency which issues inherit with WiFi connectivity.

The Revue can be used as a standalone device. So, there's no worries about that. You should worry about controlling the TV, after all it would be real inconvenient if you couldn't at least toggle the power, change the inputs, or adjust the volume on the television. Google TV will allow you to at least do that.

13. antgod

antgod New Member

did you do a system check, on the playon app, on your computer ,to see if it was running up to speed

14. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Also download the latest version of playon and install it as last night they fixed some bugs last night -
    Version 3.4.31.2725
    Released 4 January 2012
    Features and Changes

Fixed Hulu missing TV shows by name
    Fixed Netflix control bar being visible for some users
    Fixed YouTube videos not working if embedding was disallowed
    Fixed CNN not working
    Fixed FoxNews not working
    Fixed OWN not working
    Fixed ESPN3 not working on Roku devices
    Fixed SpikeTV content ending early on Xbox
    Fixed mobile app scrolling problems on iOS 5
    Added support for additional Samsung devices
    Added beta support for Android Ice Cream Sandwich

15. lotus

lotus New Member

Hello
    Yes, I have the 3.4.31 upgrade. Aiso the playon system check is max on everything, antgod.
    Eferz, I did the suggested flash fix. I think it may have helped, but not much:( I watched a couple half hour shows on hulu, hit the pause button for about 8 min on the first ad. Video played for about 15 minutes, then started freezing. Interestingly, I went to watch an episode of "House" on Fox network using Hulu, expecting it not to work- went through my ritual of hitting the pause button on first ad, the video played for about 10 min then stopped suddenly and a big sppining thingy came on the scren saying loading- this went on for about 20 sec and then the video resumed and played flawlessly till the end! (about 40 min) This was the longest error free run, it never happened before, and I tried to reproduce it but the video just starts and stops after a certain period of time.
    I noticed on the flash settings it goes to infinite, do you think I should try setting it to that instead of stopping at 10 MB?

Also, I was wondering if I should try the playon software on my laptop, on the chance it is something on my main PC? I don't know if thats logical or not, I feel like I'm becoming brain dead from this issue!

Barbara

16. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I don't get it. Why are you hitting pause at all? What happens if you just let the video play through?

I think you should try increasing the value little by little. But, going to the opposite end of the settings is not going to help. This setting is used to fine tune the performance. Selecting "unlimited" sets the performance configuration as if you were using a PC which has unlimited resources. The Revue does not have unlimited resources.

At this point, we're not sure whether the problem is with the PlayOn software or the Revue. One way to figure it out is to use the User Agent String of your Revue (Whats My User Agent?) on your laptop's browser. Then try going into g.playon.tv URL and watching a show through its browser the entire length through.

17. lotus

lotus New Member

Eferz, I hit pause when starting a video, I read somewhere it gives the video more time to load, in any case if I don't hit pause it just keeps starting and stopping, if I hit pause at least I get 15 min of smooth video.
    Oh boy! User Agent! Did you forget how tech challenged I am?:)

Barbara

18. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I see what you're doing. You're actually buffering your a certain amount of the video. The idea is to have enough cached in reserves to prevent stuttering problems when you're streaming it live. It is sort of like buying enough groceries to fill your pantry, so that you don't have to make daily trips to the grocery store.
    I assume you don't actually have this problem and you're fracking with me by just testing troubleshooting skills.

Try using this string, "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686) AppleWebKit/534.24 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/11.0.696.77 Large Screen Safari/534.24 GoogleTV/214229" as a custom user agent on your laptop's browser. If you don't know how to do that, here's a guide that should help, "Switching User Agents"

19. lotus

lotus New Member

At long last, I think I fixed it! Accidentally. At least I don't know what I did to make it work right. This part I kind of understand, I downloaded the playon software onto my husbands' PC, which is connected to the router by ethernet. Playon then ran fine, even tho the revue itself has a wireless connection. Now the strange part, I deleted the playon software from hubby's PC (so he couldn't blame ME for loading some buggy software on his PC if he had problems...) Playon STILL runs fine (2 days now) using the original software on MY PC. Anyone know what kind of magic happened? Maybe the playon software still thinks it has an ethernet connection? I hope I didn't jinx anything by posting this...

Barbara

20. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Sounds like Voodoo to me but, don't knock it. If it works, it works. LOL.

I suspect the actual problem lies somewhere in the wireless network. You may consider using those HomeAV PowerLine Network kits instead of WiFi. Either Logitech or Netgear make quality adapters which run in the 200Mbps and 500Mpbs respectively.