Quantcast

Playing .mp4 and .avi files from an external HD

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by horrorshow83, Feb 6, 2013.

1. horrorshow83

horrorshow83 New Member

Hi, all. First post here. Looked around for an answer to my question, but was a little confused. If this is in another thread, I apologize and this post can be merged there.

I am slated to receive my Vizio Co-Star today. At the moment, we play .avi and .mp4 files through Windows Media Player on a laptop and stream it through the PC port on the TV. Most movies and TV shows are stored on an external HD.

With the Co-Star, we'd like to play these files through the Co-Star as we would our laptops. I've seen a lot about Plex here, but our computers at home are work computers, so we can't add the software. The laptop we use for downloading files is an archaic G4 only running 10.4.11, so Plex can't be added.

Is there an app to download to the Co-Star which can play these files? Is it like a Mac OS or Windows manner of just seeing the device as plugged in where we open the device, see the files inside and open them to play? The most dummy-proof, simple manner would be most preferred for myself and my even-less-than-me non-tech-savvy fiancee.

Thanks in advance.

2. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

Yes ES file explorer can browse gtv sdcard and usb drive to play all supported media file. Also ViMu (gtvbox) is a nice media player ,read from internal, usb or network. Swarm is a nice torrent client witcb allow you to download your files directly on your gtv and also on a mounted usb drive on your gt . Good luck.

Envoyé depuis mon SGH-I747M avec Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  3. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I'm very interested in this, what is the name of the external hard drive you are using ...? I believe the built in app PlayPiont media player will supply all your video needs from you external source, keep me updated ....

4. horrorshow83

horrorshow83 New Member

Thanks. Read the Miro thread and downloaded the version compatible with my 10.4.11 OS and love the integration of all files. Does Swarm do this as well? And does Swarm have to be side-loaded or is it an Android app? I saw other torrent apps in the Play Store and wonder if I'm better off with one of those?

I have two: a WD Elements 750 GB (WD7500E035-00) and an HP 500 GB (pd500a). I will update this thread when I'm all hooked up. Again, I assume others have had this question upon purchase or deciding whether or not to purchase, so -- if it's as simple as ColmARock noted -- I'll contribute with some step-by-step pictures for uber-n00bs like me.

• Like Like x 2
  5. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I think the reason plex is mentioned the most is because getting a hard drive to work on a google tv is kind of a crap shoot :) At least that is my opinion as I have had hard drives plugged in my generation 1 google tv and almost none of them work. If they do work it takes quite a while the first time you plug it in to index it, etc. That is why I tend to use thumb drives.

I am not sure how well my drives would work with the newer generation 2 google tvs but others have gotten it to work in the past so I know it is possible.

By the way, I agree with the others that Vimu Player is great software for watching stuff as it tends to play stuff that the default media player does not in my opinion and the maker of the software has a thread for the software here as well and actually responds to folks which is always great.

6. horrorshow83

horrorshow83 New Member

I may have to go with the Vimu Player.

PlayPoint reads no more than eight videos from a stick and only stuff backed up from my old iPhone on the Elements HD. I grabbed aVia from the Play Store. The player is really cool and it's reading all of the folders and files. Problem: it doesn't show the file names for videos, and that problem only exists for videos.

I separate everything in folders, so TV shows are in order because of their file names and movies are in their own folder, so I'd like a more organized library. I'd also want something more user-friendly for my fiancee. Thanks, though; I'll check out the Vimu thread you mentioned. Hopefully, it's the silver bullet.

7. horrorshow83

horrorshow83 New Member

Added a RAM booster and sped everything up. PlayPoint still takes a long time and aVia stil doesn't read video file names, but the load is much sooner after plug-in.

8. plac

plac New Member

When I first plugged-in my external storage drive (usb scsi ntfs 320gb) to the Vizio CoStar, it immediately comes back with a message "Preparing the drive" where it added a few folders and apparently ran some kind of conversion app. The drive is still NTFS, but it may have added some sort of dual boot (I dunno).

Many of my video formats wouldn't play, but the program Avidemux swaps media codecs in about 7 minutes each. It's not a video converter; it's a container converter, which is much quicker.