Quantcast

Playing Local media Content Directly from Chrome!

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by seasapart, Oct 27, 2010.

1. seasapart

seasapart New Member

So after a little tweaking i was able to successfuly play my local media files directly through chrome instead of the built in Logitech media player.

I setup my built in web server on my Qnap and uploaded my YAMJ AEON media jukebox files that i use for my Popcorn hour C200. I modified the path for the media files to point to my Twonky media files path. Then i opened up chrome and browsed to my local server web address and was presented with my YAMJ media jukebox web page. I browsed to one of my movies ".avi file" and I was able to successfully play the files directly from chrome without having to use the logitech media player.

Im not sure what media player the logitech revue is using to play the media files within the web interface, possibly some built in player, not really sure but it definitely is not using the same media player as the one in the Logitech Media Player "it looks a little different and doesn't respond to fast forward/stop etc".

Just wanted to share and mostly i just wanted to see if this was even possible.

Here is the youtube link of the end result "sorry for the poor quality and lighting, i used my Evo and it was pretty dark"

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  2. glebreck

glebreck New Member

Just read this and can't wait to get home to try it.

Have you tried this with both VOB files and MKV files?

And If so was it tested on the Revue and Sony or just one or the other.

Thanks!

3. glebreck

glebreck New Member

Wll from what I can see you must first have a Popcorn player. At least I think. I have donwloaded the iHome software but as of yet I can't get anything to work.

4. glebreck

glebreck New Member

Ok so I remoted into my house and got it working. I will post my tricks later when I actuall get home and and see if the Logitech Plays it.
    I was so excited I missed a part of your post where you said the file you played was an avi file. These all work in the Revue. Formats like native dvd files (VOB) do not work on the Revue. I will be interested to see if it will work with this setup.

I tried the same type of thing with Tversity, but Tversity just tries to re-encode to mpg and a VOB is just mpeg-2 so neither are supported.

5. goku31640

goku31640 New Member

Could you please post instructions whenever you get a chance, also what os are you using?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

6. glebreck

glebreck New Member

well upon further messing around it wont work for mkv files on the sony and wont play vob files on the logitech

7. seasapart

seasapart New Member

I have tried this with MKV files and it does stream video, However since my MKVs use DTS audio and the logitech revue currently at this time does not support DTS sadly i dont have any audio.

Oh and i have only tested this with the Logitech Revue. Im also using my QNAP 459 as a web server and Twonky Media server.

Im sure others will be doing some crazy cool stuff along these lines. In the video i actually only modified the path for the movie that i played, just because i was testing but it would seem that with some fancy scripting you could automate the whole process to get all the media content html file paths modified so that its not a manual process like i did. I havnt been able to figure out how Twonky generates the folder path names yet or if there is some logic to it. If i could figure this out the whole process could be automated with some modification.

glebreck Im interested in how you got it working using iHome. Very cool. I see a lot of possibilities here.

8. glebreck

glebreck New Member

Well mkv files will play on a Revue. They need to be mastronik. I good conversion for Blu-Rays to a supported mkv codec is Vid2EVA. Every mkv I played worked. It is on my Sony unit that the MKV files won't work. ( i have both the revue and Sony) The vid2eva thing is provided by netgear for there network movie players. I wrote a blog about them here http://www.geekcando.com/?p=80.

Also I followed the first post to get yihome working. I did the setup with YamJ. Thre was a trink in the end. Don't use the setup as a NMT. Use it as a Jukebox location. The I set up the web files on my webserver and browsed to them with chrome. The sony worked on vob, avi, mpg, but no mkv, and the Revue worked on mkv, avi, but no mpg and vob. You still have to have the codecs on the device that plays.

For the life of me I don't understand the Revue's lack of support for mpg and vob. After all there are an old format that is support on everything out there.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  9. goku31640

goku31640 New Member

I set up YAMJ and it was ok....not exactly my cup of tea. So after 2 hours of messing around I realized that this is entirely too much work , and such a big hassle, So the second I realized this I ordered the Boxee Box from Dlink. I am still going to keep my Sony Bluray player google tv, because Boxee said they will develop for google tv when the market comes out. Plus it is still pretty awesome when guests come over and say "where is that girl from she looks so familiar" BAM open up IMDB and find out. Or Me- "Hey you want to watch Frozen?" Guest- "Whats that?" Me- "Let me show you a preview" Bam press search type Frozen trailer and youtube pops up. I Love it

10. jimrin

jimrin New Member

Was GoogleTV using PCH as a media server in order to play the media? Or were you able to play the media with PCH being disconnected from your home network? I am wondering if it is required to have a PCH in order to play local media through this set up.

Thanks,
    Jim