Quantcast

Playback issue with Mezzmo transcoding

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by pgoelz, Sep 11, 2011.

1. pgoelz

pgoelz New Member

Hi all,

I am trying to decide whether or not to return my Logitech Revue. With all the blocked internet sites, the only reason to keep it is the ability to use it as a media player. And since it won't play any of my h.264 camera original files, I tried various DLNA servers to see if transcoding was the solution.

Of all the servers that I tried, Mezzmo seems the closest to working. In fact, it serves up all my media files and they actually play OK on the Revue.... with one hitch. The first time I attempt to play a file, it loads and playback begins. However, the progress par does not advance and the playback stops after a random amount of time. If I then go back and play the file again, it plays to the end and the progress bar updates normally.

I have made sure that Mezzmo correctly identifies the Revue (it does) and tried all the settings combinations I can think of but the issue remains.

One obvious workaround would of course bo to force it to transcode all my files up front by playing them all once. But I have about 1.5TB of h.264 files and that would seriously add to my storage requirements.

Short of waiting for the honeycomb update (which might add the required playback functionality without the need for transcoding), anyone have any ideas?

Note that I have the same issues playing AVI files.

TIA,
    Paul

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Quality of on-the-fly transcoding sucks unless you have a dedicated hardware acceleration. I would recommend just converting your files using Format Factory.

Incidentally, H.264 is a compatible video stream which the Logitech Revue handles. The Intel Atom CE4150 SoC processor inside will even use hardware accelerated decoding for it. May I ask what type of file container you are using to encapsulate the video streams? It could just be an issue with the file container compatibility. Though in either case the work around is to use Format Factory and convert them into the default MP4/H.264/AAC format.

3. pgoelz

pgoelz New Member

The DV files are .avi files as captured by a ADVC-55 capture card. The h.264 files are .mts files from my Canoon HF100 camcorder. Neither play natively. Both exhibit the playback issue described in my first post when served up by Mezzmo. I am currently trying Serviio (still indexing) to see if it is any better.

I agree, given the fact that h.264 seems to be supported, the fact that the Revue won't play my files natively might be a container issue. However, I definitely don't want to transcode everything permanently.... that would at least double my storage requirements and make updating cumbersome.

Needless to say, I am REAL tired of the flood of half finished products on the marketplace these days. The Revue is a really good idea but it lacks the things that would make it a usable product... for me, anyway.

Paul

4. pgoelz

pgoelz New Member

After more experimentation, the fact that the Revue won't play my MTS files natively does indeed look like a container issue. Using plain vanilla Windows streaming, I discovered that it plays the same MTS original files as rendered to "Sony AVC" by Vegas for Youtube upload. Same codec (I think), different container?

Serviio was a failure.... didn't even show the files, let alone transcode them. So far, Mezzmo is the only DLNA server I have found that comes close to working. But the files don't play correctly unless (apparently) transcoded in advance....

Paul

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Have you tried Twonky yet?

6. pgoelz

pgoelz New Member

I have. I have tried quite a few and I don't recall why I quickly uninstalled Twonky... I think it was not easy to set the folders I wanted to share. That, or it didn't transcode acceptably.

Paul