Quantcast

Play movies in local network?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by sbaden, Sep 26, 2011.

1. sbaden

sbaden New Member

I thought that when I first saw the GoogleTV advertised it mentioned being able to play movies on your local network. Is this possible?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Fixed your statement above, and the answer is, "yes", as long as the movies are shared through a DLNA server. If the movie formats aren't compatible then they will need to be either transcoded or converted appropriately.

3. sbaden

sbaden New Member

I currently have my movies on a shared HD on my wireless network. So I'm guessing a "DLNA" server is much more complicated... :)

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

A little bit not too much though. Some Network Attached Storage devices include TwonkyServer which acts like a uPnP and DLNA server. You can also download the software from their website (Twonky:Downloads) to run on your computer. Twonky is the one I use but there are countless others which might suit you better.

5. Yeaidid

Yeaidid New Member

I tried to do this using my Window Home Server, but I keep getting an error. It sees the server on the network but when I click on it I get the error.... any suggestions?

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

6. sbaden

sbaden New Member

Okay, so once I install a software like TwonkyServer how do I direct my googleTV to it? Is there something in the settings?

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Just go into the Logitech Media Player from the main menu and scan for servers.

8. sbaden

sbaden New Member

Awesome! Thank you all for the help... :)

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, I suggest that you learn how to elaborate more detail into the description of the problem. "Getting an error" is so vague, I'm tempted in advising you to do your taxes early. Perhaps, you can give us the exact error synatx, so that we have a better understanding of the issue at hand.

Nope, upon starting the Logitech Media Player will send out a broadcast query to any available DLNA servers. If any respond then they will appear on the opening screen as shown below.

[​IMG]

In the above picture, you see that my Logitech Media Player has discovered TwonkyServer on my NAS and Logitech Media Server running on my PC.

10. sbaden

sbaden New Member

Thanks eferz. Is the TwonkyMedia Server something that needs to be installed on the computer and does the computer & software need to be running all the time? All my media is on an external HD (not connected to the computer) which is on a wireless network (shared).

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, if it is necessary for you to use TwonkyMedia server on your computer then you'll need to install it and have it running anytime you want to stream movies to your Logitech Revue.

Well, that sounds like you have a Network Attached Storage (NAS) like mine. What is the brand and model of it? Perhaps it has its own DLNA server which can be used instead of installing TwonkyMedia server on your PC.

12. Yeaidid

Yeaidid New Member

I'm away from home, and figured it was a know issue, thanks for being so helpful and by the way I own my own tax company.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

13. sbaden

sbaden New Member

I have a Western Digital My Book 2T. I think it's at least 4 years old.

14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Sure, no problem. As soon as you can come back with more specific information then we'll be able to assist you better.

Unless I am looking up the wrong product, the Western Digital My Book series are just external USB drives: Product List.

15. sbaden

sbaden New Member

So because it's just a external USB drive I can't use it for media streaming right? I'm not home but I thought it was a firewire drive... not that that's any better though... If it's USB can I just plug it into the googleTV or will that not do anything different?

16. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yeah, you should be able to plug in the USB drive into the Logitech Revue to watch your compatible movies. You won't be able to streaming it over the network if it doesn't have any networking component. I did notice that Western Digital does have a My Book Live series which can function as a DLNA server.

17. sbaden

sbaden New Member

Cool, thanks for all the help!

18. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

19. swallman

swallman New Member

I hate to hijack the thread, but I'd be interested in finding out what other users have found good success with in regards to a NAS with built-in DLNA server ? Would love to take the load off my ancient PC. Would prefer something I can add/replace hard drives in over time.

Thanks.

20. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

My NAS is the QNAP TS-409 Pro Turbo. It has a low power 500Mhz Marvel processor which is why I purchased it. Because of this the TwonkyServer does not support transcoding, so I have to pre-convert my movies to a MP4/H264.AVC/AAC format with Format Factory. This allows me to stream to the Logitech Revue, 24" Sony Internet, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, iPad, etc...