Quantcast

Pioneer VSX-S510-S + Chromecast no DD Plus

Discussion in 'Google Chromecast' started by nospherato, Sep 1, 2014.

1. nospherato

nospherato New Member

Hi everyone,
    a few weeks ago I bought an Pioneer VSX-S510-S and got an Chromecast Stick.
    But somehow I just can't get the Chromecast to give me DDPlus...
    I already tried some test-files on my Dreambox with DDPlus Sound --> working (AVR shows DD+)
    I tried to stream the same test-file on the Chromecast --> PCM 2.0
    I tried a test-file from maxdome (like netflix, in germany) specially to test your DD+ --> PCM 2.0
    Tried some movies on maxdome (these were DD+ movies) --> PCM 2.0

Anyone of you here has got an idea whats wrong here?
    The AVR can decode DD+, but the Chromecast seems not to recognize it for having DD+ support...

The Chromcast is connected to the AVR and I already tried all HDMI Ports...

I already tried the tips found in this thread:

*** Chromecast Tips *** | Google TV - Android TV Forums

Tip: Pioneer AV receiver - NO surround Sound,
    • Press [S.DIRECT] button on your AVR remote and select 'AUTO SURROUND'.
    • Press [SIGNAL SEL] button on your AVR remote to switch to Auto /HDMI (not PCM).
    • From your AVR - AV Parameter Settings menu set HDMI to [AMP] - NOT [THROUGH] - ( the Audio should come only out of the AVR not the TV).
    • You may Press [SB ch] button on your AVR remote and select 'SB ch OFF' (for 5.1 Max) - ('SB ch ON' for 6.1/7.1)

--> the S.Direct is set to Auto Surround
    --> Signal Sel: I can't set anything on my receiver as it's already bound to HDMI
    --> AV Parameters are set to AMP
    --> SB ch is set to: off

(Also tried to switch off CEC etc. and power off everything and power on again...)

But still... I only get PCM (2.0!)...
    Does anyone of you know any other thing I could try?

2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I’m not familiar with “maxdome streaming service”, but with Netflix (native) app/site, there is an option for 5.1DD+ located in “Audio&Subtitles” menu (5.1DD+ should be available/selectable if the title in 5.1 and CC is plugged directly into DD+ capable AVR).

[​IMG]

So,
    1. Is CC plugged directly into your AVR?
    2. Does maxdome (native) app/site have audio settings option (like Netflix)? If so, is 5.1DD+ available? Or only Stereo is available?
    3. What device are you casting from? (e.g., phone, tablet or PC/Mac)
    (If you casting from a PC/Mac, is it direct playback? or Projection/mirror?)
    4. Are you sure that “maxdome” offer 5.1 titles via CC?
    5. Give us more details about ur setup, connections & maxdome (native) app/site.

Fyi,
    * “Dreambox” is a different devices. It's test can verify the AVR DD+ capability but it won't help to verify maxdome titles 5.1, (native) app/site DD+ capabilities via CC.
    * Also, Projection/mirror from PC/Mac to CC; audio output available only in “Stereo”, unlike native/direct playback from Netflix app/site; audio output available in “Stereo” or “5.1DD+”

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  3. nospherato

nospherato New Member

1. Yes it is. I also tried every HDMI port.
    2. No maxdome does not have such settings. (If a movie is available in HD and the device supports it --> it streams in DD+, if not, it does a fallback to PCM/stereo)
    3. Tried casting from PC and my nexus7 (direct playback).
    4. No (it offers 5.1 but I'm not sure it does via CC), but I also tried to stream a testfile from the dolby page (the bike video) via plex --> only pcm+pro logic II...Played the same video via dreambox --> DD+
    5. setup:
    dreambox (hdmi)--> AVR
    CC (hdmi)--> AVR

AVR output Video to LG TV (hdmi) (CEC, control etc. is off on TV and AVR) and audio to a 5.1 Teufel sound system

connections = what kind of connections?

site for maxdome is: maxdome - Video on Demand - Deutschlands größte Online-Videothek

I will not be able to test netflix as netflix starts in germany on 16.09.2014...

4. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Well, the odds still 50/50 :)

2. Sounds like assumption of “Auto” mode, unless you get this info from maxdome or a consistent user. Usually if there is “Auto” mode, there is “Stereo” settings (to force 2ch PCM) somewhere in the app/site (but maxdome may do things differently).

4. Generally, apps that support 5.1DD+ output (passthrough) on one device not necessarily support it on another (its up to the developers). Although maxdome site show DD+ contents support, I don’t see device specific & that’s not uncommon with streaming services. You may wanna check with maxdome if DD+ output is actually offered on CC (as in dreambox).

As far as plex test, I wouldn’t count on it, too many variables ….

Connections = hdmi, optical, RCA … etc. (looks like hdmi only)

A successful 5.1DD+ Netflix test could be helpful to (only) verify [CC>hdmi>AVR>hdmi>TV] settings & connections, but may not pinpoint to why no DD+ from maxdome via CC.

Teufel, nice speakers, btw :)

5. nospherato

nospherato New Member

Well yes plex has many variables... But for example I also read somewhere, that Users normally can cast DD+ Videos youtube->CC...
    This doesn't work neither...
    At the moment I think the CC does not really recognize my receiver like it should :-/

EDIT: Someone in another forum mentioned it's really like this:
    Everything but netflix via CC is only PCM...So I guess ill wait until 16.09. and test again using netflix :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  6. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Fyi, Chromecast supports “surround sound”.

“5.1 PCM” is just one of the “surround sound” format. Almost all legacy & new AVRs support “5.1 PCM” via optical or hdmi connections & for many users, that’s advantage over “5.1 DD+” (as no DD+ decoder or hdmi required).

i.e., CC (native) apps “surround sound”:
    * Vudu outputs “5.1 PCM” via CC (but Vudu outputs 5.1DD+ via other devices)
    * Google play movies outputs “5.1 PCM” via CC
    * Netflix outputs “5.1 DD+” via CC

YouTube videos output stereo (2ch PCM) from any streaming device regardless. (exceptions)

In the main while i’d say, try & email maxdome to confirm whether their CC (native) app supports “surround sound” or still in the development stage.

7. nospherato

nospherato New Member

I already mailed maxdome support, but well...Like we all know: Until I will get an answer netflix will be released in germany. So I'll be able to test this :D

8. nospherato

nospherato New Member

Okay after waiting some days for the "fast" maxdome support:
    The maxdome chromecast App does NOT support DD+ :D so seems like I have to wait one more week to get netflix :)

9. nospherato

nospherato New Member

Okay netflix is released today and tadaaaaa: DD+ is working like a charm :D