Quantcast

Philips Introduces Android-Powered TVs Coming Later This Year

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Mar 28, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Philips Introduces Android-Powered 4K TVs Coming Later This Year | TechCrunch (click for full article)

by Darrell Etherington - March 28, 2014

-- Google TV is likely going away entirely, to be replaced by a familiar face - Android. Philips has just unveiled new Ultra HD (4K, whatever you prefer) TVs (via 9to5Google) that will be running Google's mobile OS when they hit stores in Q2 of this year. The sets seem to be coming to Europe and Russia first, but it won't be long before the little Android bot makes its way to all of your connected smart TV sets, in all likelihood.

See more at: http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/28/ph...wered-4k-tvs-coming-later-this-year/?ncid=rss

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  2. deadringer28

deadringer28 Active Member

There is one thing that I have always felt separated Google TV from Android and that is the Primetime app. These TVs will have that app. I think it will feel a lot more like Google TV with that component in mind. Time will tell. These TVs are not said to be making it to the UK so I wonder if thre is any chance they will see the light of day in the US. I certainly hope they do.

3. CatfishRivers

4. CatfishRivers

Hmmm ..... the quad-core & hexcore processors sound nice but only 2.7GB of built-in storage doesn't seem like much. The current GTV boxes have more storage than that. Also the article didn't mention RAM. Current GTV devices only have 1 GB of RAM - IMO 2GB of RAM would be much better.

From the 9to5Google article:

** Philips has just revealed some details of an upcoming 8000 series lineup of TVs for 2014, which will likely be the first lineup of Ultra HD TVs that hit the market running Android. Philips has three models running Android- Full-HD 8100 and 8200 Philips TVs and the Ultra HD 4K 8800 series- all of which come packed with Google Play store access and Google services like Chrome, YouTube, Google Play music and movies, and search.

The Philips 8000 series deliver superb picture quality. 800 Hz Perfect Motion Rate plus Super Resolution (8100, 8200) or 1000 Hz Perfect Motion Rate Ultra plus Ultra Resolution (8800) ensure superb motion sharpness. They also feature Local Contrast to further improve the screens' splendid contrast and Micro Dimming Pro, a sensor-based technology that dynamically adapts the LED backlight depending on the ambient room light; this delivers impressive contrast through deep blacks and bright whites.

The 8100 and 8200 models run quad-core processors and come in 48 and 55-inch variants, while the 8800 4K model packs in a hexcore and comes in just a 55-inch model. Philips said it has used processors powerful enough to let the full Android experience run smoothly, but you'll have to put up with just 2.7GB worth of built-in storage for installing apps. The TVs will also offer a separate game controller for Play store content in addition to pointing, cursor navigation, typing, talking and gesture support. **

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  5. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Nice to see a slightly more upscale TV manufacturer jump on board, anyway.

6. CatfishRivers

To be clear my Logitech Revue has 1GB of RAM and 4GB of Storage. For those 4GB of storage apparently 3.5 GB are used for the system operation and pre-installed apps. Because when I go to my Revue "manage application" settings it only shows a maximum limit of 500MB storage available for apps.

Currently I don't have any apps installed on my Revue (other than the pre-installed apps) and I'm showing 132 MB of storage used and 388 MB free for additional apps. I've noticed that after a factory reset the used storage goes down to around 80MB or so (if I recall correctly).

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  7. jonw747

In my experience, Android doesn't manage storage very well. My Jelly Bean Android Stick has 8GB, but had only 2GB partitioned for Apps and I could barely load anything on it even though I had a 32GB SD card in it. I tried a bunch of stuff (some which required ROOT) to get it to use the other storage and the SD card without much success. I eventually just threw in the towel and burnt a new ROM with 4GB allocated to the App storage, and that's been much better.

My GS7, otoh, also has 8GB of storage and seems to do a pretty good job managing it, but I think the older versions of Android were better at allowing Apps to run from external storage. Of course I never tried to run Grand Theft Auto on my GS7 (> 1GB right there) because it's not supported.

8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I consider LG way above Philips for everything consumer electronics at this point. Philips is no longer a manufacturer of much of anything for the consumer electronics market, certainly not TVs. I don't know what company bought the rights to put Philips on TVs but it isn't a company that makes better products than Hisense or LG. Still I am happy to see new HDTVs running Android with Google Services from any well known brand name including Philips, even if that company has nothing whatsoever to do with the grand old Dutch company from decades ago.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Travel

Travel Active Member

I liked this quote from the article:

"Philips said it has used processors powerful enough to let the full Android experience run smooth"

Further evidence that the current 2nd generation boxes aren't going to be updated, and probably the major reason why is that the hardware/processors in the current boxes aren't optimal for running the Android 4.2.2 OS and, beyond, upgrades.

The good news is that there are more and more companies popping up that are serious about supporting the GoogleTV/AndroidTV platform, and are providing the appropriate hardware/Processor. However, it's also becoming more and more questionable whether there will ever be another standalone, upgraded box besides the Pulse Pro. In other words, there will be full services GoogleTV, but it'll be within a product of larger scope: an HDTV or gamebox.

10. jonw747

Funai badges some of their stuff as Philips, as well as various other brands such as Sylvania. Up until 2008 Philips and LG had partnered on the development of LCD panels, but Philips sold out to LG. I haven't bought a TV for anything critical since Pioneer left the market, so admittedly I haven't paid much attention to the comings and goings.

I did buy a 40" LG not too long ok, and it's decent. I'd put LG way above the likes of HiSense, but they're still a far cry from what I'd call a high-end manufacturer.

11. ChrisG8

I am not aware of a mass market TV maker that is high end, no profits are possible, none exist which is why Pioneer bowed out of the plasma market years ago. I will take inexpensive and good which is where Hisense fits in my opinion. I think my Vizio 42" LCD was made by Hisense but I haven't tried to track it back to the OEM, not important at this point. It is 5 years old and my LG 50" plasma is 3 years old. I would be delighted if both last 10 years total.

12. CatfishRivers

I bought a Vizio 32" inch LCD TV about 5 years ago that I've been very pleased with. It's not a smart TV - just a dumb TV -:)

13. jonw747

From what I understand, Panasonic had inherited Pioneer's mantle, but I believe I read they dropped out of the Plasma market. I read some good stuff about the Sharp Elite's but a quick search shows they're having issues - apparently they had to stop production due to a lack of components. Fortunately, I don't need a new TV.

14. ChrisG8

Yes, that is correct, Panasonic purchased Pioneer's Kuro technology and made plasma TVs for a few years. Lost money and are bowing out as well, probably already have ceased production. I might buy one before they disappear but the female head of household probably wouldn't OK the purchase. My son has two Panasonic 50' plasmas and I think they are nice sets.

15. jonw747

We're really digressing here, but I believe Panasonic uses a different technology that wouldn't benefit from the Kuro treatment. From what I understand, Panasonic just kept on developing their own tech even after buying the patents. Maybe they thought they might use it? Maybe they didn't want Sharp or Samsung to get their hands on. Dunno.