Quantcast

PC based Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV Hardware Discussion' started by johnyddd, Nov 21, 2011.

1. johnyddd

johnyddd New Member

Hello

I am a long time Google user/fan. When i heard that Google was launching Google TV i was pumped.
    But now it appears that in order to run Google TV i have to purchase specific Hardware. Currently i am using sage TV on a perfectly capable PC and video card combination that manages my multimedia for my HDTV in an appropriate manner.
    I understand the appeal of simplifying the building and hook up experience when it comes to TV multimedia connectivity, but there is a good portion of people like myself whom are comfortable with our current PC based hardware who would like to try out Google TV and its features.

Is it possible to run Google TV on a normal PC?
    As a consumer i would consider buying the License for the "software" just as i have done with Sage TV, So i am surprised a PC option is not currently available.

jd

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The answer is no. At least not until Google releases the Google TV source code to the Android branch. For now, the closest option right now is to run Android on your PC. Android-x86 - Porting Android to x86

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Would there be any way to run the leaked GTV beta 3.1 on a computer?

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Maybe, but I don't think anybody has gone through the effort of porting it.

5. Winkle

Winkle New Member

theres a chromebook out now.. incase you dont know since you obviously havent used Media Center for PC.. and there many attempts at copycats.. finding a compatible tv pci card is hard enough.. beta leaked probaly wouldnt even work!