Quantcast

PBS no longer working?

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by legerguy, Sep 29, 2012.

1. legerguy

legerguy New Member

I am no longer able to view video on PBS sites (PBS Newhour & Frontline are ones I tried). Using Chrome on Sony nszgt1 and also Sony NSX 46GT1. This worked on Thursday and problem seems to have begun yesterday. The page shows that I need to download and install Flash 11. Any ideas?

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I tried viewing videos on PBS with my Logitech Revue - and I got the same message to update to Flash 11.

IMO this is not good news at all for the GTV platform.

Unfortunately there is no way to update the Flash version on our own for GTV devices. The updated Flash version would have to come via an OS update. (Adobe would need to pass along the special updated GTV Flash version to Google - Google would then need to incorporate this into an OS update and pass it along to the GTV device manufacturers. The device manufacturers would then incorparate the OS update with their own firmware - and then pass along the update to consumers).

PBS currently has a lot of videos on YouTube that are working with Google TV. This includes some full episodes. Although it appears as though there are many more of the full episodes available directly from the PBS web site. Here's the link for the PBS channel on YouTube:

PBS - YouTube

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  3. legerguy

legerguy New Member

This kind of stinks, I bought my 2 GTV devices to view content instead of having to connect a PC or MAC to my TVs.

I looked at the youtube link, thank you. Problem is it is not kept up to date in the same way as the website. Their ios app is also lacking.

Are there other browsers which may work?

4. CatfishRivers

No the only browser that will play Flash on GTV is the Chrome browser version included with GTV.

However if you subscribe to Playon - I would think that you might able to get PBS on GTV via dlna. However you need to set that up and use it with a computer. Other GTV users report they can watch Hulu in this manner. Sorry I can't test that (no computer) - but here's the link:

http://www.playon.tv/blog/pbs

From the Playon web site:

"PlayOn runs in the background on your networked PC. It uses standards called UPnP and DLNA to communicate with networked gaming consoles and TVs, working both as an Internet browser to access online media, and as a UPnP media server to serve videos to UPnP compliant devices."

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  5. guest

guest Active Member

What is needed is OS-as-Application, an application containing an operating system and available like any other application. The problem would be incorporating it into the firmware.

6. ezedtv

ezedtv New Member

I have been having the same problem on my Revue; can't view PBS Newshour using Chrome . Reason is that message appears on PBS Newshour page "Flash Required". System thinks that flash is disabled. I have looked at Settings\under the hood\ plug-ins and see that Flash is "enabled", not disabled.
    Maybe Flash has not been updated. How do I do that on the Revue ?

7. CatfishRivers

There's no way to update Flash on your own with GTV devices. It can only be done via an OS update. Google TV currently has Flash 10.2 and most of the videos on the PBS web site now require Flash 11. See post #2 in this thread for a further explanation.

You can get PBS on GTV via dlna by running the Playon software on a computer. See post #4 for further explanation.

Note: If you have the Sony NSZ-ZS7 GTV box - that device doesn't have dlna. However Playon will work with the Sony NSZ-ZS7 if you install the GTVBox app on your unit. The other GTV devices have dlna capability.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  8. CatfishRivers

I just sent a message to customer support at PBS.org - explaining the current situation with Google TV. I asked if they could provide a solution (perhaps an app for GTV). I'll post their response here if they reply.

9. CatfishRivers

GREAT NEWS! The PBS web site is fully working again with Google TV -:) Check it out. The videos are currently not requiring Flash 11. I hope that it stays this way........

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  10. legerguy

legerguy New Member

Wow. I had written this off for dead. Nice!