Quantcast

Pay TV Is Hurting, And Even Skeptics Now Admit Cord Cutting Could Be At Fault

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, May 20, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Pay TV is hurting, and even skeptics now admit cord cutting could be at fault ? Tech News and Analysis (click for full article)

by Janko Roettgers - May 20, 2013

SUMMARY: Pay TV providers in the US lost subscribers for the first time ever over the 12 months ending in March. Especially alarming is the slowing growth of lower-priced offers.

-- "Pay TV had a really bad first quarter this year, with cable companies losing an estimated 263,735 subscribers from New Year's Day to the end of March, according to the Leichtman Research Group. Satellite TV providers and phone companies with a TV business gained some subscribers during the same time period, but fewer than in previous first quarters, and one of the culprits seems to be cord cutting."

Last edited: May 20, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Ha! Ha!

Everytime I've posted about cable TV subscriptions going down most folks say that it is just a low that doesn't reflect the influence of cord-cutters. But I have a friend that once he subscribes to something it is hard to get him away from it. Even if it is obsolete. I practically had to use a vise to get him to upgrade from Dial up. He's been w/Cox Cable for the last 20 yrs. Just this month Cox raised the rates again. He finally got fed up and switched to Direct TV. He switched his internet & phone to Verizon even tho no FIOs available in our area.

There is a breaking point for subscribers. I'm getting close to mine...

Carl

3. CatfishRivers

Cable Analyst Craig Moffett Says Cord-Cutting Is Real - Peter Kafka - Media - AllThingsD (click for full article)

by Peter Kafka - June 4, 2013

"Craig Moffett is one of Wall Street's most respected cable-watchers. And for a long time, Moffett was skeptical about cord-cutting. Now he's not.

Actually, he turned around sometime in the last year - in August, when he was at Bernstein Research, Moffett put out a note acknowledging that cord-cutting/cord-nevering was real, in some form. But now Moffett has his own research company, and he has put out his first mega-report on pay TV, and he has repeated the same conclusion, so it's going to get a lot of attention."

4. Carlszone

Thanks Catfish!

Unfortunately, I've just cut the cord. No bill other than my rent can compare to my cable, internet, and telephone bill w/Cox cable. When they recently raised the prices I expected the usual few dollars for each service. But somehow my bill jumped from $145.00 a month to $215.00. I thought that this was because I had ordered the Mayweather fight which was $66.00 plus taxes. But not so. After I paid $198.00 in may, the June bill was $315.00 which included the PPV purchase.. Only then did I realize that my monthly bill was going to be $215.00 forever.

Meanwhile, I'm seeing all these commercials for even greater discounts for new users. When I called Cox they offered me a great deal! But I was thinking ahead and told the CSR, no, because I'd just end up in the same predicament a few months later.

Are these companies crazy or do they not understand that we cannot pay such exorbitant prices for TV???

When will they learn...

Carl

5. CatfishRivers

Focus Group Study of Pay TV Cord-Cutters, Cord-Nevers by Bernstein - Peter Kafka - Media - AllThingsD (click for full article)

by Peter Kafka - June 21, 2013

"Cord-cutting may be overstated, but it is real. What's more worrisome for the pay-TV industry are the cord-nevers: Twentysomethings who have never paid for TV subscriptions, because they've always been been able to get what they want over the Web.

But what are they watching, and how are they getting it on their screens? Bernstein Research is asking a bunch of them, via focus groups."

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  6. CatfishRivers

7. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

Dang Carl,I thought my cable bill was rough.Keep in mind I do not have any kind of box hooked to any of my TV's.My bill for TV,Internet,Phone comes to $145 a month.I don't have the internet speed everyone else has as mine is 12 down and 1 up.Since they passed the law that cable companies are not required to carry the clear QAM channels anymore I don't know how much longer my free HD channels will last.My cable company is a small operation but they are the only internet available this neck of the woods.But I love football too much to go cable free though.I got grandfathered in at a special rate when they ran fiber down our neighborhood back in 2005.So if I ever give it up that extra a month is gone if I try to resign again.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Carlszone

Hey, Mike

Ya can't look at it like that. Each month you are cable free is less money to the cable companies. Not more to the cost to reconnect. Football except for ESPN is free locally. Channels 3 & 10 and 14 can be accessed ota. I don't know how this year's games will be distributed between the cable networks but you can be sure that most games will air via local free channels.

But you are correct as far as all other sports are concerned. I haven't seen a boxing match or live tennis since I disconnected cable. It's driving me crazy. But I can't pay cable for a service I barely used other than sports. I just can't do it... ESPNU is part of the Digital lineup. That begins the upward cost of cable at $89.00 for Advanced TV if you are eligible for the discount. Then to get boxing one is lured into the premium subscriptions for HBO & Showtime. Great boxing, but at what cost?

Hey, if you can afford it, pay it. I can't...

Thanks

Carl

9. CatfishRivers

Hey Carl - Have you checked out this boxing channel on YouTube - it's called "Seconds Out Boxing"?

Seconds Out Boxing - YouTube

*The following (see below) is what I had posted about Seconds Out Boxing in the Project Free section of the forum on 11/15/2011:

"The "Seconds Out Boxing" channel on YouTube features international full length boxing fights from around the world. YouTube currently has 182 full episodes."

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  10. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I watched boxing on EpixHD and WealthTV using a free trial but I haven't found much boxing otherwise. EpixHD requires a pay TV subscription to subscribe but not for the free trial while WealthTV is a pay subscription streaming service. Sports programming is tough to find with Google TV, only ESPN3 provides much I watch. I hope ESPN3 or some other streaming service will have the PGA and British Open golf tournaments. I was able to find Masters and US Open coverage Thursday and Friday and was happy with the quality and coverage.

11. Carlszone

Thanks, ya'll

I'm really looking for live boxing. In a couple of months I'll probably just go w/the basic channel lineup for $50.00. That way I'll be able to watch Friday Night Fights. I thought GFL would be a good source, but this service seems to be more geared toward cage boxing & wrestling. Just subscribing to ESPN will open the way to Watch ESPN live events.

12. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

13. CatfishRivers

US phone companies are winning new TV watchers. Cable & satellite, not so much ? Tech News and Analysis (click for full article)

by Om Malik - August 14, 2013

Cord cutting seems to be having little impact on Internet Protocol Television (IPTV) providers even as subscribers are abandoning both satellite and cable companies. Data from IHS, a market research company, shows that AT&T's Uverse, Verizon's FiOS and a few others added 398,000 net subscribers during the three months ending June 30, 2013. AT&T's Uverse added 233,000 and Verizon added 140,000 subscribers to its FiOS video offering. A big reason for these new additions at telcos is their decision to spend more on marketing these services.

For the same April-to-June 2013 period, cable companies lost 588,000 subscribers and satellite companies lost 162,000 subscribers. During the same April-to-June time period in 2012, cable companies lost 598,000 subscribers while satellite companies lost 62,000 subscribers. IPTV providers added 304,000 subscribers.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  14. CatfishRivers