Quantcast

Panasonic Announces 4K Smart TVs Powered By Firefox OS

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jan 5, 2015.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

2. CatfishRivers

3. CatfishRivers

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

This situation, with all of these different smart TV operating systems on televsion sets, what a mess it has become. Sony will use Android TV, Panasonic Firefox OS, Samsung Tizen, LG WebOS, TCL, Insignia, Haier and Hisense apparently will have Roku sets, Vizio has something or several somethings, are you kidding me? LG still has Google TV inventory in stores and Apple iOS and Microsoft aren't among the offerings yet, but surely those are coming as well. Who thinks more than 2 of these will still be alive in a couple of years? What average consumer can have any idea what to buy or what was purchased after he bought it?

The situation with smart TV set top boxes is even more confusing for the consumer. An official Android TV competing with fake Android TV and Amazon Fire TV and all of the others.

5. CatfishRivers

It seems a bit odd to me that Sony is in a partnership with Google and apparently will officially support the Opera TV browser on Android TV instead of the Chrome browser. I understand that Sony wants to try and differentiate itself from other Android TV devices - however I'm wondering if this new Blink Opera TV browser is for the older Sony smart television models - which I believe were based on Android and already support the Opera TV browser. (In other words the new Blink Opera TV browser could be for Sony televisions that run android - but not for the new televisions that run the 'official' Android TV platform). However the article did allude to the Blink browser being available on Android televisions running Android 5.0 (lollipop). So just have to wait and see I reckon.....

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015