Quantcast

Page Rendering

Discussion in 'Google TV Hardware Discussion' started by guest, Nov 8, 2012.

1. guest

guest Active Member

Does anyone have any tips for improving page-rendering on a Logitech Revue? I've got broadband download of 4.53 MBPS and .93 MBPS upload (recently tested at Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test ). Those numbers are decent. The problem I have is hitting the backbutton and having to wait (for an uncomfortably long time) for the earlier page to reload. Is there something that can be done or is it just a limitation of the device?

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I would say that it is a limitation of the device and the OS software.

Try going to your Chrome settings then "Under The Hood" - and make sure the box is checked that says: "Use DNS Pre-Fetching To Improve Page Load Performance".

One thing that I do for reading online newspapers without all the annoying pop-ups & advertisements, along with faster loading times is to view the online newspapers through a mobilizer web site. Here's the links to a few of the major mobilizer sites:

Skweezer

Mowser - Mobilizing the web

http://google.com/gwt/n

(Skweezer is nice because they allow you to register for free - and then you can set up your personal bookmarks on the Skweezer site.)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  3. guest

guest Active Member

I'm considering buying the new Samsung Chromebook you mentioned in one of your posts. Would this issue be a limitation of it, as well?

P.S. Regarding the Chromebook, it could be connected to one of the ports on the Logitech Revue as a wireless device, couldn't it? I have two Revue's in the house, one wired and one connected wirelessly.

4. guest

guest Active Member

In my last post, I meant to make this distinction: The Samsung Chromebook could be connected through one's existing modem/router supplied by one's ISP. That's not an issue. But you'd be using it's small screen during your web session. If it could be used in conjunction with the Revue and the HDTV screen connected to it, that would make for a better viewing experience.

Edit: Or connect the Chromebook directly to the HDTV.

5. CatfishRivers

Hi. I haven't personally tried a Chromebook - so I can't really say from personal experience.

However I can say that Chromebooks are based on the browsing experience with Chrome - and it would seem that browsing would be expected to be a strong point of Chromebooks. It will have a more recent Chrome browser than GTV devices. And the Samsung Exynos chip at 1.7 Ghz is faster than the Marvell Armada chip (1.2 Ghz) in GTV devices. Both are dual-core chips. Also the new ARM Chromebook has 2GB of RAM while I believe the GTV devices have 1 GB of RAM.

I would say go to Amazon and read all of the Chromebook user reviews very carefully. Currently the new Samsung Chromebook has a good user rating of 4.1 stars. Most of the reviews I read are very positive - with a few not-so-positive reviews.

Keep in mind though that currently Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming do not work with the new ARM Chromebook. Google and Netflix are working on a solution and I'm sure that one will be forthcoming probably in a few weeks. The Amazon problem might take longer - as Amazon decided not to support the Pepper Flash plug-in on Chromebooks (because they said the Pepper Flash plug-in lacks DRM). However Google and Amazon are reportedly trying to reach some solution.

Chromebooks seem to be very nice for what they do with their simplicity and speed. However be advised that there will be a trade-off in that certain things you can do with a Windows laptop cannot be done currently with a Chromebook. Such as viewing videos that require Microsoft Silverlight and Skype.

Yes I would think that you should probably be able to connect a Chromebook to the Revue - but once again this is something that I have not tried personally so I can't vouch for it with certainty.

I came across this very helpful tutorial (set up by Eferz) concerning how to set-up devices with the Revue:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/logitech-revue/2679-how-setup-other-devices-logitech-revue.html

• Like Like x 2
  6. CatfishRivers

Hi well the new Chromebook has an HDMI port so you can connect it directly to TV that way.

I am reading in Google Groups that Chromebooks don't currrently support DLNA - however I also came across an article with directions for how to use a Chromebook with DLNA (to stream videos to your TV). I guess you will just need to test these things out or speak to somebody that has a Chromebook and tested these things.

Here's the link to the article about how to use a Chromebook to stream to TV via DLNA (so according to this article you should be able to set up a Chromebook to stream to a DLNA supported device such as the Revue):

Use your Chromebook as UPnP media server | Chromebook Linux

However here is a thread from Google Groups about Chromebooks not being DLNA certified:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/chromebook-central/tYQTpxfYKL4

7. guest

guest Active Member

I think the big question, at least for Revue users (as Logitech has provided for a lot of interoperability in their products), is if ChromeBook is superior to GTV, can we use the Revue's keyboard and remote with the ChromeBook.

(Does the ChromeBook work both wired and wirelessly?)

8. CatfishRivers

You should be able to use optional keyboards through the Chromebook USB port. The new ARM Chromebook also has Bluetooth support. Yes the Logitech Revue keyboard should work with the Chromebook - however you will need to have the Logitech unifying receiver to pair your Revue keyboard to the Chromebook.

Keyboard features - Chrome OS Help

Only the Samsung Chromebox comes with an ethernet port.

However the Chromebooks can be used with a USB to Ethernet adapter. It was mentioned in the Google Chromebook Groups that the new ARM Chromebooks will only currently work with a specific kind of USB to Ethernet adapter (as the Chromebook developers didn't enable the support for all kinds yet).

A poster to that thread mentioned that specifically he uses a "Trendnet TU2-ET100" USB Ethernet adapter with the new ARM Chromebook and that it works fine with good speed.

• Like Like x 2