Quantcast

Overseeing Logitech's Turnaround

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Sep 9, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Overseeing Logitech's Turnaround - WSJ.com (click for full article)

September 9, 2012, 5:05 p.m. ET

Overseeing Logitech's Turnaround

Summary: As Sales of Computer Tablets Explode, Swiss Mouse Maker Pins Hopes on New 'Blockbusters'

By JOHN REVILL

"Bracken Darrell, president of Logitech International SA, admits the past couple of years have been tough for the world's largest maker of computer mice.

Missteps like a disastrous link with Google Inc. to make set-top boxes for the Internet giant's TV effort, as well as a failed sales strategy in Europe have tarnished the Swiss company's luster and wiped more than 40% from its share price over the past two years.

Add in an aging product line-up and falling sales that triggered a series of profit warnings last year and it's clear that Mr. Darrell has a big task when he takes over the complete running of the 31-year-old company next year.

"The reality, I don't think, was a complete disaster, but the last year or two has been really tough," he says.

After stints with Procter & Gamble, where he led electric-shaver company Braun, and most recently Whirlpool Corp., he became Logitech president in April. In the role he is responsible for research and development, sales and marketing, manufacturing and a host of other functions.

And in January, Mr. Darrell takes over as chief executive from Chairman and CEO Guerrino De Luca. Mr. De Luca was CEO from 1998 to 2008 and again from July 2011 when the previous CEO, Gerald Quindlen, resigned amid declining sales and mounting losses. When Mr. Darrell becomes CEO, Mr. De Luca will revert to being chairman."

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I see from the article that Logitech is now manufacturing an ultra-thin keyboard for the Apple iPad - and reportedly having success with it.

From the article:

"Without giving specific numbers, he says sales of the thin keyboard are already double the level of expectations, with further models to come."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately the only way I envision Logitech even thinking about manufacturing new GTV peripherals going forward - would be if GTV became a huge marketing success with mega millions of users. Otherwise I think Logitech will stay completely away from GTV. JMHO