Quantcast

Ouya's $100 Video Game Console Is Now Available (Whether You Want It Or Not)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jun 25, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Ouya's $100 video game console is now available (whether you want it or not) - Liliputing (click for full article)

by Brad Linder - June 25, 2013

"The Ouya team generated quite a buzz last year when they promised to deliver a hackable, Android-powered video game console for $99. Almost a year later, and after raising millions of dollars through a successful crowd-funding campaign and outside investors, the team has delivered on its promise... sort of.

You can now buy an Ouya game console from Amazon, Best Buy, Target, or the Ouya website for $99.99, among other places (although Amazon is already out of stock). But early reviews of the device have been mixed, at best - and some backers of the company's Kickstarter campaign are still waiting for their units to arrive."

2. CatfishRivers

Ouya Official Launch Version Review: No. (click for full article)

by Ryan Whitwam - June 25, 2013

"Early reviews were not very favorable, but now the device has arrived. Is it any better now that you can buy it?"

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't see how it could be much better for $100 so it seems like a success to me. I don't plan on buying one but it looks better than I thought it would when I first read about it a year or so ago.

4. CatfishRivers

OUYA vs. Google TV | GTVsource.com (click for full article)

by Edgar Cervantes - June 25, 2013

"Many Google TV competitors are rising and one of the biggest ones has been released today - OUYA. It's not a direct replacement to a smart TV, but depending on your needs it can be a good chord-cutter device with awesome gaming capabilities. It does support apps like XBMC, the popular media player and online streaming device, so it is not completely out of our field.

The OUYA proved to be amazingly popular during its Kickstarter campaign and it seems to be just as successful today. Amazon has sold out on the Android console on its release date. The last time something like this happened with a Google TV device was with the VIZIO Co-Star, which was considered to be amazingly affordable then.

It is important to note OUYA will also feature very fun games, something Google TV still lacks. Those who want the full smart TV experience will stick with platforms like Google TV; but if you had to choose between OUYA and a Google TV, which one would you get? Are you buying one of these? Will you use both Google TV and an OUYA console? Will you just dump Google TV?

Some of you may feel enticed to move away from Google's smart TV platforms due to the lack of support, but is OUYA really the answer? Let us know what you think! I still believe OUYA would have been better off as a Google TV device (they could have brought many partners to the platform), but we will have to see how it all develops."

5. CatfishRivers

I'm not much of a gamer - so I might consider OUYA if there was a decent wireless keyboard to use with it. Can anyone recommend a good keyboard for the OUYA?

Also I wonder how the Tegra 3 chip compares to the quad-core Rockchip 3188 that is now being used in some android TV devices from China? That and firmware support are also serious considerations. I do believe the Tegra 3 is a more powerful chip than the Marvell Armada 1500 chip in current GTV devices.

* Does OUYA provide over-the-air updates in a similar fashion to GTV? I don't have a computer so I wouldn't be able to update OUYA with an SD Card.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  6. ChrisG8

I think the chips are comparable but I can't find a definitive benchmark for the Marvell Armada 1500. The only technical discussion I recall reading is here:

AnandTech | Google TV Goes ARM with Marvell's ARMADA 1500

There are far better chips available but as far as I know, none at the time these products were designed for this price. I know tablets often have better processors now and I expect the next Google TV processor to be better, but if the price has to stay so low, it won't be the most powerful ARM processor that is used, not even close.

7. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

It seems like XBMC is still not ready for it. Hopefully it won't be a case of too little too late.

8. CatfishRivers

Ouya Is a Compact Bundle of Fun, But Not a Be-All Game Console - Lauren Goode - Product Reviews - AllThingsD (via Mowser) (click for full article)

by Lauren Goode - July 1, 2013

"Let me put this right out there: I'm not a big gamer.

Sure, some 20-plus years ago I blew some money on Nintendo game cartridges and played hours of Super Mario Bros. with the best of them. Today, there's an Xbox 360 console at home, but it's not mine, and my idea of a good game is something I can play on the iPhone before falling asleep at night.

Could the compact, indie-focused Ouya turn out to be the gadget that gets me back into console gaming?

A new-to-market, $100 console system that's taking aim at the big three - Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony - Ouya blends aspects of console gaming with mobile game features."

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  9. CatfishRivers

I thought the following statement from the previous article was interesting:

"Second, many console owners also use the Wii, the PS3 or the Xbox to stream media from apps like Netflix, Hulu Plus and Pandora. I'm one such consumer. And Ouya currently doesn't offer these media-streaming options (though it does offer the gamer-centric Twitch.tv app).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO if Google comes out with their Nexus android game console and it has a lot of streaming apps such as Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant, Pandora, etc then it will blow Ouya away.

The problem with that scenario is that it could also blow the GTV platform away (or take a big cut out of GTV sales) - and I'd imagine that would anger GTV hardware partners.

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...console-smartwatch-nexus-q2-tipped-works.html

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  10. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

It is so weird.

If Google does anything other that GTV, they are distracting from it. But Microsoft can do tablets, Win 8.1 and anything else they wanna, but nobody sees these attempts as a distraction from their failing line of Win 8 software.

What is it that differentiates GTV from mainstream products?

Why should a game console have anything at all to do w/GTV???

Carl

11. ChrisG8

Google TV is struggling and if Google comes out with a non Google TV streaming box, the market will perceive that as an indication Google TV will not be receiving full support from Google. It probably means Google TV is dead since products with very slim profit margins like Google TV must be mainstream, big selling products to survive. Only high priced limited market products with high profit margins can do well selling small quantities. I think the Google TV manufacturers, with the possible exception of LG, have not made a profit on Google TV and LG may have only because it has the added value of being a 3D display that might have enough profit margin built in, even with somewhat disappointing sales.

I sure hope Google TV catches on quickly and it could happen if the new operating system makes it easy enough for the mainstream to use. I don't know what to expect from the upcoming Jelly Bean version, it might not make much difference or it could make a lot of difference.

12. CatfishRivers

There is a lot of elaboration on this subject in the following thread (see link below). Some of the articles specifically mention GTV:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...console-smartwatch-nexus-q2-tipped-works.html