Quantcast

OUYA on KickStarter; An Android Powered Gaming Console & More for $99 Bucks

Discussion in 'Google TV News' started by dgstorm, Jul 11, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

How does an Android powered gaming console and controller that allows you to play Android games on your HD TV for only $99 bucks sound? How about if most of the games were free to play or try? What about if it were easy and cheap to develop for, and favored indie game developers, yet still pulls in the big titles too? That's the premise and promise of a new Kickstarter startup project called OUYA.

The idea is very intriguing. Sell a $99 Android based gaming console with controller in the retail chain that also happens to be the developers kit. Make things easy and cheap for developers and game publishers to develop for, and simply require the developers to have a free version of the game, just like we see frequently on Android already. Hook the device up to your HD TV and play any number of shooters, rpgs, strategy, platformers, sports games and more. They've already lined up soem big name games, like Minecraft, Shadowgun and more. You will even be able to watch Twitch.TV on the OUYA. Check out the Kickstarter source link at the bottom to see a video of the OUYA team and their project, and to get more info as well as pledge an investment if you desire. Here are some quotes to give you an idea of the OUYA concept,

For Developers,
    About the Controller Design:
    The Hardware and a love note to Hackers:
    This device looks pretty amazing and really has our interest piqued. Please sound off in the thread to tell us what you think of OUYA.

Source: Kickstarter

2. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

This sounds really cool. Hopefully the XDA-Developers can make more than just a Android gaming console.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Well it sounds interesting - but if it has a bunch of streaming services such as Netflix and all the others - might this device cause competition and fragmentation for Google TV users? This article is suggesting it might:

How the Ouya Might Do What Google TV Couldn't | News & Opinion | PCMag.com (click for full article)

From the article:

"The Ouya caught my attention not because of what it could do for gaming, but for what it could do for home entertainment. Specifically, it could fill the hole Google has dug and been unable to fill itself with Google TV. Google TV had a lot of potential, but a shaky first year with expensive products and a slow trickle of devices have made its future uncertain, and Google was strangely silent about it at this year's Google I/O."

4. Chimerabb

Chimerabb New Member

This sounds great. But is this possible for $99? Xbox360 costs a minimum of 299 bucks. I am not tempted toward this console as I am happy with my Xbox 360. Google has dug a hole with Google TV in home entertainment. But I am not sure this console will fill the gap. When Google launches a product it gets a lot of hype but during the initial stages, the products fail to live up to expectation. Maybe after 2 or 3 years this console will become a lot more functional and lot of games will be available on this console. Now Xbox and Play Station are dominating the gaming world. I will stick with my Xbox 360 and I am eagerly waiting for Xbox 720.

5. rehughe

rehughe New Member

Got one on the first day on Kickstarter. They said this will be completely hackable...meaning, I can play all SNES and SEGA ROMS!!

6. christinacooper

christinacooper New Member

I'm so excited :). I can't wait to get mine. The wait is going to suck, though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2